Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Joy To The World
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$12.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on December 14, 2010
Joy to the World is an enjoyable and unique selection of holiday music from around the world. It's quite different from the typical Christmas CD as most songs are performed in different languages with that Pink Martini twist. The CD booklet contains the lyrics and translations and helped deepen my appreciation of this multi-cultural collection of holiday songs.

The Ukrainian "Shchedryk" (Carol of the Bells) seemed to stay quite true to the original and was one of my favourites, in the good company of "Ocho Kandelikas", "La Vergine Degli Angeli" and "Congratulations".

A couple of the more modern interpretations didn't work for me, such as "Little Drummer Boy". When it was purely percussive and China Forbes started singing, the beat felt forced and awkward to me. This is a song that I always enjoyed immensely in its classic style as a child.

I was also quite disappointed that their rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" diverged so far from its origins. The beat felt so out of place and singing it in other languages after the first verse, just drained the power right out of the Robert Burns classic for me.

Although not every song is joy to my ears, overall, it's a fun collection of holiday songs that I'm glad that I purchased. Since you currently cannot preview the songs here and I can't see this being everyone's cup of tea, I'd recommend checking them out on the US Amazon site prior to ordering.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 5, 2011
Received the CD just a couple days outside the estimated window, but due to the season/customs not an issue. The seller responded quickly to my inquiries, would buy from them again and the CD is perfect for setting the holiday mood!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again