4.0 out of 5 stars Worlds within worlds within worlds
This is not quite the inoculate inception you would expect but it holds your attention. This is an action packed thriller with plenty of CGI, blood and guts and a mystery to boot.

Published 11 months ago by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars While this film had its moments - as lucid dreaming ...
While this film had its moments - as lucid dreaming involved, how could it not? - for my taste far too much rushing about and violence. Presumably this is what the market demands.
Published 3 months ago by Siusaidh

4.0 out of 5 stars Worlds within worlds within worlds, Dec 26 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

We already know the formula and this will not be the last movie to use it. Yet it is the execution that is on trial here. Is lots of action and noise the reason to watch the movie or is it actually the distraction. Take away the CGI and the obligatory car chase and what is left?

Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) just wants to get on with life and be with his kids once more. He is offered that opportunity in exchange for his skill in changing people's minds while entering their dreams. This is the simple explanation for the movie. But Cob and his team must go down several levels of dreams in dreams in dreams to accomplish the mission. With each level new problems are revealed as we are also dissecting Cobb's mind at the same time.

Will the team complete their mission or like "The Man from the MTA?" be lost forever in limbo.

The Thirteenth Floor

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air, Dec 17 2010
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This was the first movie I saw in theatres twice since Nolan's previous film, The Dark Knight. The man certainly knows how to make a movie and is undoubtedly the hot director of the moment. It's refreshing to see a movie that at least tries to be original and creative, however I have a feeling that Nolan could be more if he had less pressure to dominate the box office with everything he makes. There are times in this movie where the content descends into regular action movie stuff, but for the most part it avoids such pitfalls. I still say The Prestige is the best of his movies, but this is certainly worth watching and perhaps buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie, Jan. 2 2013
M. Vo "M" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I just watched the movie and it blew me away! The story is just great. From the beginning to the end, there is no slowdown as we often see in movies. At the same time, it is not an action packed movie without a good story. It is the kind of movie that you can predict the ending, but that you have to watch to let the producer and actors blow you away.

I read the other reviews and I give it a 5 star because I don't care much about the packaging as long as everything is in there. What matters is the movie. The story, the production and the actors are just amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deception dreams, Jan. 24 2011
Brian Ashe "Fantast" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Excellent film.

This film requires you to be there at the beginning (really near the end) and to stay awake all the way through. The twists and turns of the rapidly paced plot will be hard enough to follow while awake. You sleep, you lose.

In fact, that is the basis for the plot of the movie. While you sleep, you dream, and these dreams can be exploited with the right technology and talent. Leonardo di Caprio plays a master extractor whose talent is to enter dreams in a sort of industrial espionage, to ferret out secret knowledge that can be sold. In the movie, however, his most challenging test ever is the converse, the planting of an idea into the dream of a multibillionaire, that might change the course of the world.

Dreams within dreams within dreams. The film works on any number of levels. The characters are well fleshed out, with di Caprio and Ken Watanabe especially good. The supporting cast is fully up to the job. The plotting is quick and violent. The pacing is classic, with multiple minor climaxes ending with a major preshadowed explosion. The ghostly wife who becomes all too real in dreams complicates a near perfect plan, and threatens seriously to destroy everyone. There is action and suspense enough to make this an enjoyable action movie, while the characters turn it into an excellent drama. And the whole concept, echoing to some extent The Matrix movies, turns it into thoughtful science fiction.

An all-around good movie, whether you like action, suspense, character drama, or science fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case may not look as advertised, March 3 2011
A. Buckley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I received my copy today, I can't review the disc itself but the film was incredible and I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan (I'm the type of nerd that, when I heard Leo was playing a character named "Cobb", said "Huh, a thief named Cobb, that's a cool nod to 'Following', Nolan's first feature"), so I'm looking forward to watching it again once I have 2 and a half hours free to do so.

Anyway, the reason for this review: I'd read Websurfer's review, and when I received my copy I noticed there was nothing on the case that said it contained the DVD or Digital Copy voucher, which the picture here displays. I've seen other cases that had everything that advertised as such ("The Fantastic Mr. Fox" has it clearly written on the case that it contains all three formats). So, I was about ready to look up the return process, when I decided "well, I can't know for sure until I open it"... and there they were, the BluRay, the Extras (also on BluRay), and the DVD, with a voucher for the Digital Copy. It's all there. It's strange that the physical case has absolutely no markings, front or back, that would indicate it has them all, since that's a great selling feature for people who don't quite have a BluRay player yet, but figure they'll get one soon (I had considered buying Inception sooner, before I bought my PS3, because I'd seen the combo pack here). Had I seen this displayed at a brick and mortar, I would have passed. So, don't worry if your case doesn't look like the one pictured here. Crack it open anyway... it's all there.

5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE YOU PREPARED FOR THIS?, Feb. 17 2011
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Inception (DVD)
A movie built like a labyrinth, complete with a menacing minotauric presence and a guiding Ariadne; worlds within worlds and dreams reflected onto dreams like an infinity mirror effect.

Nolan takes the viewer deep, deeper than any other filmmaker in memory, and without holding your hand all the way he never lets you get lost. His vision has years compressed into hours, Paris folding onto itself, militarized minds and entire worlds built out of a single person's imagination. Yet in the end, his logic is solid and his story scintillatingly brilliant.

This is bioSciFi, cyberpunk and action movie all rolled into a complex story in the near future, where not even our dreams will be safe and sharing our subconscious fears and fixations will only be an induced REM cycle away.

Have you tried your Totem yet?
Then how can you be sure?

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, imaginative action, but cheap business model DVD, Jan. 31 2011
Hayley Cann (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The movie has been reviewed by greater experts than I am. Let me just say that it is great entertainment. An action flick with imaginative use of special effects, not just for the eye candy, but to make us believe in the possibility of a world that might be created in our unconscious. It is science-fiction and yet it is not, because much of what Nolan approximated is conceivably close enough to the actual workings of the mind. My main critique about the film is that I believe that the secondary characters are more interesting than the main character, and they are not developed in the movie, so I wanted more.

Now onto the DVD edition. It is the obvious set up where they get the DVD out before Christmas with almost no extra content (a featurette and a look at how some of the scenes were made), and I'm sure later on there will be a special edition coming out with a ton of better content. I just wish the content included with this DVD were a little more... substantial. There's just not much to them, it felt like I saw them all in about 5-10 minutes. They could have been a little more generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Type of Film one can watch MANY times and if you;lve ever seen a BAD or Low Resoltion copy? GET THIS BLU-RAT one!, Dec 19 2013
The Type of Film one can watch MANY times and if
you;lve ever seen a BAD or Low Resoltion copy?
GET THIS BLU-RAT one!
It;s Mind Blowingly amazing!

And Fast Delivery too!

Amazon,ca - You've done it Again! - Bravo!

-= KaptainCanada =-

-= K C =-

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of this movie is awersome, April 2 2014
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love the story and Leonardo is still very impressive. This movie require you to have all you attention to the story because it is complicated. The concept of be able to slow down the time by going into dreams are interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast, Sept. 17 2013
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
No need to take any psychotropic drugs before you watch this mind-bender. Killer concept, masterfully executed, and it's not surprising that this is the brain behind Memento. Highly recommended.

Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] by Leonardo DiCaprio (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 7.87