5.0 out of 5 stars I hope this one runs for years!
If you can imagine Upstairs, Downstairs meets The Buccaneers, you will pretty much have this gem from ITV. Surprisingly, not from the BBC (which is doing an update of Upstairs, Downstairs set in the 1930s) it is every bit as good as a BBC production and much prettier than the new Up/Down.

Maggie Smith will definitely get a BAFTA for this if not an Emmy. "What...
Published on Jan. 11 2011 by Jenny Allworthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Problems
The series is terrific, but the quality of the disc is unacceptable. The tracking function is such that all movement on the screen is very jerky and hence, almost unwatchable. I tries the disc on several Blue Ray machines - same result. You might be better off getting the DVD edition, I'm not sure
Published 21 months ago by Wayne Johnson

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly lively historical tale, June 10 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
I had seen the odd episode of Downton Abbey before and was underwhelmed. I bought this season (and the next two seasons) as a present for my wife, and finally watched the show in order, from the start. It was surprisingly engaging. Watching an individual episode without a sense of its place in the progress of the narrative was just tedious. But watching each chapter unfold in sequence gave me a sense of an epic carefully and delicately told. The bottom line is, even if you've tried an episode and found it wanting, try it as a whole and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Each of the roles is perfectly cast, and the performances are pitch perfect. The lavish photography and delicate soundtrack are a feast for eyes and ears… and the blu-ray edition lets these come through spectacularly. Season one has a "Making of" supplement and a short feature on the location of the series… which did rather leave me wanting more. (The supplemental features do get more ambitious and thorough in subsequent seasons.)

The main reason to buy this set is to enjoy, in higher-than-broadcast resolution, a wonderful epic novel for television. There are enough details and plot threads in play in the stories, the series can remain interesting through repeated viewings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey Season 3 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece), May 16 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
I have all the collection now, it's a must have. This classic collection is for lifetime, once in a while I start all over again.
I'm French speaking so time the accent is very Brithish. I have to replay some scene to fully understand the meaning but that's my problem!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite series, May 1 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
Loved the series and now can re watch it many times with family members and friends. It's timeless and will always be one of my favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever!, March 8 2014
Adee1 (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
The most wonderfully entertaining series, we have ever watched. Best acting, best everything!! We're enjoying it, just like millions of others around the world.
So glad I bought the series,1 through 3, as will surely watch it through again and again.
Great price through Amazon and fast delivery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Feb. 24 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
Great. I loved that Mary and Matthew got it together but was so saddened when Matthew was killed. I wondered why you would do that to we avid watchers. I didn't speak to anyone who didn't agree with me. However, I had to get into it in Season 4 and wasn't disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Writing, Feb. 7 2014
Eddie Nguyen (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
This is the beginning season of a marvelous series. The storyline is super & beautifully complex of a time gone by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abeey season 1, Feb. 1 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
I just loved this and all of the actors. As soon as I watched it I could hardly wait until the next season

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem with one disc, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
The second disc did not work. I know Amazon has a great return policy so there is no blame there. It was a gift and not that convenient to get it back and request a return. It was just disappointing that the product was not perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are still some people who haven't seen it!, Jan. 14 2014
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
This was my choice of a Christmas present for my parents who still haven't seen it. Everyone already knows its reputation for wit and entertainment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dowtown Abbey Seauson 1 (UK Edition) Blu Ray, Jan. 7 2014
Very good. However, would have been great to have it with at least subtitles in French as available for many tv series.

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›

Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 1 (U.K. Edition)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 16.99