4.0 out of 5 stars Took a beating for me
I'm just posting this to counter the two negative reviews. I bought one of these 4 years ago. I've probably brewed at least 1,500 pots of coffee with it and have never had a problem. Good value for the price paid and I'd recommend it to anybody.
Published 21 months ago by yk michael

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 4 months
Published on Jan. 8 2011 by Michael Fitze

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 4 months, Jan. 8 2011
This review is from: Sunbeam 8 -Cup programmable Coffee Maker-Thermal, Black (Kitchen)
I had some of the same problems as the other reviewer, and I can't agree with him or her more. The bottom part of the carafe fell off after a few months. Before that, using it was mostly a pain. The biggest problem for me was that the top of the carafe was EXTREMELY difficult to take off and screw on - which occasionally led to coffee spilling all over the counter. In additon, the coffee was not very hot, nor did it stay warm for long (despite being a "thermal carafe"). The buttons and readout were ok, but seeing that I have to replace this unit so soon, I feel that it was not worth the price at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a beating for me, March 26 2013
yk michael (yellowknife nt) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome pot for two, Sept. 24 2013
This was a replacement pot for another fancy thermal pot (Hamilton Beach) that never quite cut it for a few reasons. This one keeps the coffee much hotter, brews faster, looks simple and compact on the counter. No bells and whistles, just good hot coffee in the morning and a very reasonable price. Recommend it to anyone....especially a smaller household since it's 8 cups not 12.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this one!, Nov. 17 2010
We purchased this coffee maker less than a year ago as a replacement for our old machine.
We thought the thermal carafe was a nice feature, until the the bottom part of it fell off.
The carafe itself is a press fit two piece stainless steel unit.
We would preheat the carafe (to keep the coffee warmer, longer) and when the machine would start brewing, the difference in the temperature between the two stainless steel parts of the carafe would cause the base to "pop" off rendering the carafe useless.
Also, if your looking for a great cup of hot coffee, look elsewhere.
The delay start is a nice feature, the buttons are simple, easy to use and the digital readout is easy to see.
This eight cup machine is a nice, compact size.
The pause and serve feature is a good on those days when you're in a hurry and you need to sneek a quick cup of coffee before the machine is done brewing the whole pot.
The water tank is a very poor design, in my opinion.
It has a large opening, is easy to fill and a window, BUT it also has two very annoying holes in the back of the tank at the full line.
Also, when you fill the tank and you don't pour water precisely between the two holes, you get water all over the counter top.
Overall, a major disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy!, May 17 2014
I broke the carafe on my original coffee maker and was thrilled to find an identical replacement for such a reasonable price. Thank you Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars I am satisfied with this coffee maker., April 22 2013
It brews good coffee, is simple o use and saves energy because it shuts off when coffee is brewed and stays hot for at least an hour in the insulated pot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much smaller than 8 cups, Jan. 10 2014
I was looking for a coffee maker to replace my previous 12 cup drip. I was also looking for a carafe that was not breakable. I have had glass and plastic carafes and both types have succumbed (either breaking or in the case of the plastic, leaking through multiplecracks that developed in less than 6 months). Obviously, being stainless steel, this coffee maker has not broken or cracked.It also keeps the coffee hot for about 1 hour without a warming plate - a bonus because there is no baked on coffee spills to deal with. Unfortunately, the coffee maker does not make 8 cups of coffee. The actual amount of liquid that the carafe will hold is 6.5 liquid measuring cups. When you translate that into most "coffee" mugs, it is really only 4 mugs of coffee. This is great for me and my husband, as we have reduced our coffee consumption in recent years. Definitely not good when you are having guests. Finally, the carafe is a bit difficult to clean without a cylindrical brush (which I don't have) but not impossible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Oct. 26 2014
I would have preferred a 12 cup version otherwise quite satisfactory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, Sept. 21 2014
Works well but the inner-seal on the lid comes off.

Sunbeam 8 -Cup programmable Coffee Maker-Thermal, Black