4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but not very durable.
Published 21 months ago by RyeRob

1.0 out of 5 stars Auto Shut-off not working
Published on Feb. 18 2012 by Kordula Spaude

1.0 out of 5 stars Auto Shut-off not working, Feb. 18 2012
Kordula Spaude (Calgary, Alberta, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster® 1.7 Litre Kettle-Variable Temp, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I just exchanged the kettle because the auto-shutoff did not work. Tried the new one out and have the same problem. I read about someone else having the same problem and that it needs a new switch. I am not getting the switch, I will return this kettle again and get my money back! I did not buy it through Amazon, got it from a different dealer with a regular prize of $89.99. I liked the features that it was supposed to have but too expensive not to work properly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but not very durable., Nov. 26 2012
I bought this kettle about 3 years ago and have been using it everyday since. I use it to brew coffee usually but I also make quite a bit of tea as well. It is a pretty solid kettle as far as functionality goes, although the temperature is only adjustable from 40-100 degrees Celsius in increments of 5. I would have liked to see increments of 1 although this is rare in any kettle. After about a year and a half the plastic top on the lid broke off (which always felt cheap) and now it is just a piece of plastic I have to move back and forth with a spring attached to it. All around this kettle does the job but is not very sturdy as the lid broke with regular use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the trouble, March 5 2014
Kristin Goetz (Cambridge, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
Within a month the flip up lid broke off. Warrantee would have required me paying to ship it to a location an hour away
Kept using it but now its 14 months old and it is leaking out the bottom and is useless

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for Value, Aug. 7 2013
Steven (St. Catharines, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Variable temperature kettles are usually over $100. I was pleased to see this was lower and more affordable for my budget. It does the job. My only real complaint is that there is no sound when the kettle reaches temperature. It would be nice to be able to hear it from another room so you know when you can start making tea. Otherwise, left too long it gets too cool and you need to re-start the process again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Kettle, May 15 2014
I just bought this kettle and I would not have done so had I read the reviews. One can see the potential for failure in the lid, since it has plastic hinges and does not open fully, so that it is easy to put excess pressure on it. It DOES NOT have a red glowing lite when the kettle is in the boiling process. The display is pathetically small and very difficult to read. The functions offered do not seem to make sense, for example boiling for 3 to 6 seconds extra? It is disappointing because I had a good view of Oster products, but that view has been seriously damaged. I plan to avoid using the lid as much as possible and just fill it through the spout.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lid problems, April 16 2014
We have had 3 of these kettles. The first one lasted 11 months and the plastic hinges of the lid disintegrated. After many emails Jarden (the distributor) replaced it with the same model. The second one had the same problem and lasted only a few months before the plastic hinges deteriorated. They then sent me a third one with an improved lid. I was hopeful but this lasted only 7 months when the hinges deteriorated and the lid came loose. We handle the lids very carefully but it seems the plastic hinges gradually deteriorate and the lid comes loose. I do not understand why they have not replaced the plastic hinges with metal ones or change the design and have an unattached lid like some of the other kettles.
I bought the Oster because of the temperature choice button. Look for a more durable kettle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, April 14 2014
I love using this kettle to make my "Teavanna" teas at home. It's cheaper than what Teavanna charges for a kettle and works great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Cheap Cheap, Feb. 8 2014
smiley (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I got this from Airmiles.. 4 days after I received the kettle, the lid popped off and the auto shut off button didn't work. I called the company and after getting all my information said that I would have to call another number for them to fix my kettle. I was told I would have to pay for the switch,, huh?? I have just had it for 4 days and why am I paying for this!! In the end, didn't bother and have a white elephant sitting in the house.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a year, March 31 2013
Worked fine, but after 6 months labels on the buttons washed away. A year later top part of the lid broke away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kettle, Feb. 19 2013
First I'd like to say that the first one I received was faulty. The ease and speed at which Amazon replaced it was incredible. The kettle we now have works very well. It allows us to heat water to the desired temperature (as required for coffee for example) to either 100 degrees or below in 5 degree increments.

Oster® 1.7 Litre Kettle-Variable Temp, Stainless Steel