5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: My Afternoons with Marguerrite (La Tête en friche) (Version française) (DVD)
I just loved this movie. It's all about the small things of life and how friendship can sneak in even when you aren't expecting it. Highly recommended. I have been looking for this movie for over a year and finally found a copy on Canada Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet film in the best sense, March 3 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A sweet trifle of a film, taken to a deeper and richer level by two outstanding performances.

Gerard Depardieu, in what must be his 6,000th film still feels fresh and alive as the overweight,
under educated and well meaning laborer who can hardly read, and who strikes up a chance
friendship with the 94 year old Margueritte, played with amazing delicacy and life force by the
wonderful Gisele Casadesus, who was an astounding 95 herself when this was made. Oh that
we all should live so long with such grace.

Marguritte begins reading to the quasi-literate Germain, who finds his interest in reading sparked,
and with it an expanded sense of self. He even finds himself falling in love (in a chaste almost
childlike way) with the still beautiful Margueritte.

Simplistic, sure, sentimental, undoubtedly. But much like Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman in
`Driving Miss Daisy' these two actors give performances that make you want to forgive anything
that might otherwise feel trite or too on the nose (e.g. the very literal flashbacks to Germain's childhood).

Not quite a great film, but a charming, sweet, life-affirming and very human one.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT movie, Dec 27 2011
Nadia Steinberg (canada) - See all my reviews
wow! what a movie! absolutely loved it. makes you laugh and cry, but makes sure you pay attention, in French or with subtitles. recommending it absolutely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and feel-good, Aug. 25 2011
Hylian Poe (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I took a chance purchasing this movie judging only by the trailer, as this movie has not come out in theatres in Canada yet to my knowledge.

I am happy to say that I enjoyed it very much.

"My afternoons with Marguerrite" is a delightful movie that I recommend to anyone who likes happy endings.

One thing that mislead me was that the movie had a fair amount of profanity which was not listed on the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Depardieu est égal à lui-même, Nov. 25 2012
Pierre Roy (Jacksonville, Florida, US) - See all my reviews
L'histoire est très agréable quoiqu'un peu bonbon au sucre, mais les acteurs la rendent prenante et attendrissante. Ce n'est pas un grand film de par son histoire mais certainement une étoile de plus au CV des acteurs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 10 2014
Quelle belle histoire!

My Afternoons with Marguerrite (La Tête en friche) (Version française)
CDN$ 34.95