5.0 out of 5 stars Case may not look as advertised
I received my copy today, I can't review the disc itself but the film was incredible and I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan (I'm the type of nerd that, when I heard Leo was playing a character named "Cobb", said "Huh, a thief named Cobb, that's a cool nod to 'Following', Nolan's first feature"), so I'm looking forward to watching it again once I have 2 and a half hours free...
Published on March 3 2011 by A. Buckley

3.0 out of 5 stars Inception
It's another -fly into my head and join me in my dreams- movie. Lavish, eye popping CGI but not worth the twenty bucks you paid to see it.
Published 3 months ago by Kenneth O. Connor

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart Blockbuster!, Jan. 18 2011
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) (DVD)
I give it only 4 stars because of the sheer craft, the special effects and outstanding use of sound effects and a brilliant music soundtrack all contribute to a terrific experience for the audience. I dock a star from it because Nolan could have done so much more with the great comic actors he had at his disposal (Caine, Page, Gordon-Leavitt - remember him in "3rd Rock from the Sun?). I know, I know, we shouldn't criticize what he didn't do, but Nolan might have had a Best Picture Oscar for this one (hey, it still might win!) had there beenbetter use of his resources from the character perspective.

I've only seen this on DVD, not Blu-Ray, only because I didn't have a player when this came out. Now that I do, I plan to get the BD version - anyone want a slightly used DVD?

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air, Dec 17 2010
This was the first movie I saw in theatres twice since Nolan's previous film, The Dark Knight. The man certainly knows how to make a movie and is undoubtedly the hot director of the moment. It's refreshing to see a movie that at least tries to be original and creative, however I have a feeling that Nolan could be more if he had less pressure to dominate the box office with everything he makes. There are times in this movie where the content descends into regular action movie stuff, but for the most part it avoids such pitfalls. I still say The Prestige is the best of his movies, but this is certainly worth watching and perhaps buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, imaginative action, but cheap business model DVD, Jan. 31 2011
Hayley Cann (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Inception / Origine (Bilingual) (DVD)
The movie has been reviewed by greater experts than I am. Let me just say that it is great entertainment. An action flick with imaginative use of special effects, not just for the eye candy, but to make us believe in the possibility of a world that might be created in our unconscious. It is science-fiction and yet it is not, because much of what Nolan approximated is conceivably close enough to the actual workings of the mind. My main critique about the film is that I believe that the secondary characters are more interesting than the main character, and they are not developed in the movie, so I wanted more.

Now onto the DVD edition. It is the obvious set up where they get the DVD out before Christmas with almost no extra content (a featurette and a look at how some of the scenes were made), and I'm sure later on there will be a special edition coming out with a ton of better content. I just wish the content included with this DVD were a little more... substantial. There's just not much to them, it felt like I saw them all in about 5-10 minutes. They could have been a little more generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christopher Nolan Mindbender, Oct. 25 2010
Richard S. Warner "Saraswati-Son" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: INCEPTION (Widescreen) (DVD)
There seems to be an increasing interest in mainstream film-making in creating movies that deal with the mind and its relative-subjective constructs of reality. Writers and directors are now mining a very rich realm of possibility in doing stories that layer multiple levels of consciousness. Christopher Nolan, the director of the two recent "Batman" reboots and the incredibly good "The Prestige", is one of those directors and he is taking on this theme with a passion. "Inception" is his latest offering in a genre he is becoming very adept at.

Earlier films that really broke the ground which made this film possible are works like "Memento", "Fight Club" and the indispensible "Matrix" Trilogy. In fact its hard not to think of the Wachowski brothers while watching Nolan's latest outing.

As undeniably tied to the "Matrix" Trilogy as "Inception" is, it is still a good film and a real bang-crash crowd pleaser to boot. The action is fast-paced and nail-biting, the pacing relentlessly building and yet the film also has a very simple but profound human psychological truth in its core - at the very centre of our psyches, in the deepest part of our hearts, there is in each of us an extremely pure truth, a hurt really, that is so innocent and vulnerable that we create the most formidable defences to protect it.

Leonardo DiCaprio, doing a great turn here, plays Dom Cobb the ace "Extractor" in a team of dreamtime navigators, who specialize in a form of psychic espionage with a very special difference. Extractors actually get into the minds of people that have secret information hidden within their subconsciousnesses, by entering their dreams, discovering it and then leaving with that knowledge as their own. As the mind works so much faster and extends time in that realm, it is in the dreamstate where all of this is achieved. "Extracting" then, is the active engagement, with multiple consciousnesses jacking in, of lucid dreaming as a tool for high level psychic sleuthing. But dreamtime is not as benign nor as simple and nebulous as it might seem ...

This particular story in the team's repertoire begins with the demand that instead of "extracting" a key piece of information from a subject they, instead, need to plant an idea IN. And ideas, we are told at the beginning of "Inception" are the most powerful and resilient of all "infections" or "viruses" that have ever been. Once the mind receives an idea, Cobb tells us, especially at it's deepest levels, it never forgets it, graduallly growing and developing it into full expression.

Cillian Murphy, a Nolan alumnus of the "Batman" films and Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" plays the multi-millionaire son of dying energy magnate, Pete Postlethwaite, who is the one man who holds the key to the domination of the world through one last corporate move. Murphy, by inheriting his father's corporation is the man destined to carry this out. It is pretty much de facto that if the last steps are put into place, the young Fischer ( Murphy ) becomes a global superpower in himself. It is up to the team of extractors, led by DiCaprio and the excellent Joseph Gordon-Levitt, to somehow get to Fischer, enter his mind and instead of retrieving something from him, PLANT an idea that will eventually lead to his deciding NOT move the corporation forward into world domination. Planting this idea is called "inception".

As the story develops we find that our "super hero", Cobb, a man on the run with a broken family behind him, has something very secret deep in his own subconscious that he is grappling with, which keeps spilling into the dreams of others that he enters. This disturbance of his own consciousness is actually a danger when he enters the minds of others. For once the "extractors" "jack in" to someone's dreamtime that subconscious can send some very nasty "projections" forward to meet them when it senses a disruptive, foreign presence. Therefore those projections act as an immune system that detects and attacks those that don't naturally belong in that consciousness. So once inside another person's dreamtime, it is crucial NOT to cause undo disturbance. In Cobb's case it is the "still living" projection of his dead wife ( played with chilling menace by Marion Cotillard ), who wants him to remain in his subconscious with her "forever", that threatens the safety of Cobb himself AND his team.

Once they get to Fischer, jack him in and then themselves, the story gets very layered and complex as different levels of dreamstates are entered and navigated. Cobb's and Fischer's seem incredibly complex and defended with exceptionally violent "projections" - Cobb's by his deceased and dangerous wife and Fischer by crack swat teams of para-military forces. Herein lie the keys to the two subconsciousnesses. Fischer's is wrapped around his deeply conflicted, unhappy and unresolved relationship with his dying father, and Cobb's with the guilt feelings surrounding his wife's real time death in a tragic suicide. Here is where the main action sequences of "Inception" are played out, in the deepest levels of the subconscious minds of Cobb and Fischer. And that action is unlike anything you've seen in films before: nail-biting, fantastic, disorienting, violent and quite disturbing.

"Inception" is indeed a complex action film that has, despite all the often confusing reality levels, a pristine message that redemption and forgiveness are the resolution of all our extremely complicated and often violent defenses. Love, forgiveness and acceptance, in the end, are what saves the day. This is one film, like the "Matrix" Trilogy, that requires repeated viewing if one is going to get the most out of it. It can be merely taken as an action film and it works VERY well on that level, but it is, again like the Wachowski brothers, ultimately a thinking persons action film.

The cinematography is truly fantastic and while it is mindblowing in itself, it never really distracts from the momentum of the story line or its underlying themes. All of the actors are committed to the script and their performances are sincere and delivered with that committment. This is one of the best films Leonardo DiCaprio has ever done. He is somewhat subdued but smoldering with hidden undercurrents that are developed with perfect credibility and power. "Inception" is one of his most emotionally satisfying films yet.

The soundtrack is excellent and very dramatic, propelling the mood and atmosphere forward with power and momentum. The direction is excellent, Nolan really coming into his own here as never before. Although I must say I still prefer "The Prestige" over all his films. If any of the other above-mentioned other films have been of interest to you and you really enjoy films with challenging themes and ideas, couched in pulse-pounding action and cinematographic awe, then "Inception" is one you're going to want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-bending and exciting, Dec 29 2011
Great plot, great action, great acting. Occasionally can be a bit hard to follow all the logic but it's worth trying :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving Packaging, Nov. 29 2011
The cover for the case does not mention the dvd or digital copy, it is just the standard blu ray cover, but the other discs are included. I filled out a return item form before I opened the wrapping to discover this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best movie ever, June 25 2011
I love this movie, I am not sure why this movie didn't win all the awards. But amazing movie and you get 3 disc with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous script, direction, and visuals, April 11 2011
Pierre Aubin - See all my reviews
I have been a movie fan all my life, as well as an admirer of Hanz Zimmer and his great talent for music. Christopher Nolan wrote a great story in the best tradition of Sci Fi. This movie outdoes the Matrix for my enthusiasm and it's depth of story. I've bought the 3 Blu ray disc edition and it's an amazing package. the image quality and the superb HD audio sound is a treat for all the senses.

I also bought the music soundtrack, and it's a great addition to my Motion Picture Scores collection. I love the way the story is put together on film and the rich electronic sound of the music makes it all work, and I was amazed at how clever the entire story is create and delivered. I have watched this movie at least 4 times and I discover new things to like about it each time.

I would recommend this film and music to all fans of good Sci-Fi - and yes, you may have to watch it more than once to understand the complicated story. The special effects and actions scenes will keep you entertained, well after the movie has ended.

I'm happy to read that the film made a large amount of money - maybe this will entice Mr. Nolan, to write a sequel for all of us to enjoy.

P.

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest you'll get to theatres, Jan. 28 2011
When I found out when this was coming out I knew I had to get Blu-ray or nothing. Anything else just wouldn't do it justice. I haven't even gotten around to the bonus features yet but I know they'll be just as good as the feature. I'm not sure if I'll even use the digital copy but it's kinda nice knowing it's there and that I won't have to make my own copy of it if the time comes. If you have the appropriate TV you should definitely be getting this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deception dreams, Jan. 24 2011
Brian Ashe "Fantast" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Excellent film.

This film requires you to be there at the beginning (really near the end) and to stay awake all the way through. The twists and turns of the rapidly paced plot will be hard enough to follow while awake. You sleep, you lose.

In fact, that is the basis for the plot of the movie. While you sleep, you dream, and these dreams can be exploited with the right technology and talent. Leonardo di Caprio plays a master extractor whose talent is to enter dreams in a sort of industrial espionage, to ferret out secret knowledge that can be sold. In the movie, however, his most challenging test ever is the converse, the planting of an idea into the dream of a multibillionaire, that might change the course of the world.

Dreams within dreams within dreams. The film works on any number of levels. The characters are well fleshed out, with di Caprio and Ken Watanabe especially good. The supporting cast is fully up to the job. The plotting is quick and violent. The pacing is classic, with multiple minor climaxes ending with a major preshadowed explosion. The ghostly wife who becomes all too real in dreams complicates a near perfect plan, and threatens seriously to destroy everyone. There is action and suspense enough to make this an enjoyable action movie, while the characters turn it into an excellent drama. And the whole concept, echoing to some extent The Matrix movies, turns it into thoughtful science fiction.

An all-around good movie, whether you like action, suspense, character drama, or science fiction.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

Inception / Origine (Bilingual)
Inception / Origine (Bilingual) by Christopher Nolan (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 18.70 CDN$ 4.88