5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic visuals
Not only is the story quite good, the visual effects are amazing ! I bought it thinking it would rather be a children movie kind, but I loved it myself and deeply recommend it.
Published on March 5 2011 by A. Bernier

2.0 out of 5 stars Too scary for young children
My six year old great niece loves owls, so I got this for her, but after watching it, I would not give it to her. The plot was too violent for a sensitive child.
Published 14 months ago by Chillidachs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic visuals, March 5 2011
A. Bernier "Sci-fi rules" (Montreal) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, Feb. 4 2011
I never read any reviews for "Guardians", and had no preconceptions about the film before I saw it. I was pleasantly surprised. The visuals alone are breathtaking. It's a grand testament to the animators and their talents. More so, however, the film develops lovable characters (Gylfie, Digger, Twilight, and Lyes of Kiel specifically), and an identifiable lead in Soren. Its themes explore the validity of honouring our culture's legends, defending the innocent, and self-sacrifice for what is right. It is unashamedly a book adaption--though I never felt as though the film tied itself down in unnecessary exposition.

Instead the film thrusts its viewers into the world, mythos and story of the Owl Kingdoms...and succeeds. Its characters are humorous and lovable, its plot includes betrayal, friendship, honour and justice. And as a book adaption, its pacing is well developed and reworked into an understandable screenplay.

Now, would I recommend it for a younger audience? No, not necessarily. It does not employ a Disney or Pixar-esque family quality about it. Parents should know that there may be some scary moments for your young children. Does it leave some things unexplained (such as the "blue-lightening" as described in the editor's review)? In a sense, yes, but this in no way hinders the plot or the understanding of the risks that exist for our heroes. Though I can understand how some might consider it slow or muddled, I didn't find that. It had me, and I was enjoying every moment of it.

Some of todays animated films (and television programs) are regrettably damaging. So much of it centres around pathetic humour, and a lack of reverence. Children need to be inspired; this is what equips them to better live in a world which presents both real difficulties and hardships as well as great beauty and life. I feel that "Guardians" draws our attention toward the latter. Its deals with healthy dreaming, the love for old stories and legends, the choice to do what is right, the betrayal of close friends and family, the need to seek out justice for the innocent and the reawakening to the grim reality of war.

I heartily recommend "Legend of the Guardians".

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Movie, Feb. 5 2011
This review is from: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
It was really a great Movie. Our other friends liked it so much, 2 of them bought it also after watching it at our place!

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie is excellent, Nov. 19 2011
This movie is excellent. I would recommended it to anyone. We have it in 3d which is even better, but the blu ray edition is also very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Jan. 14 2011
My husband and I loved this movie. One of the best this year for animated movies, for sure. It's nice when a kid's movie can make you wonder what will happen next and it's not something completely expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars De toute beauté, May 15 2014
Visuellement, il s'agit du plus beau film d'animation que j'ai jamais vu. Les détails sont hallucinants. Petits et grands adoreront ce film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 3D experience!, April 29 2014
This rating is more of reflection on the 3D, not so much the movie. The 3D is amazing, there were more than enough wow moments. The story is okay, but I was more blown away by the 3D, and the story does well enough to compliment the 3D.

Bottom line, this film is definitely a film to showcase 3D on your tv or projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars not so 3D, Jan. 30 2014
The disc was bought for testing the 3D feature of my TV. It plays with no problem but the 3D effect was disappointing. I am not sure it is the production of the movie or some settings I have to play around with in the BD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, Nov. 4 2013
I am 57 years old and enjoyed the movie, sick of the crap they show on TV . Loved the colours-Will recommend for children and parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney is so overrated, Sept. 6 2013
It's so nice to see a studio that has not been bought or taken over by Disney produce such a stellar product. If you can buy three cartoons from the last couple decades buy Epic, The Iron Giant and THIS movie. Another added bonus is the lack of a nauseating pop soundtrack. GREAT movie with incredible animation that Disney wishes it could compete with.