5.0 out of 5 stars Great router
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by Charles P. Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in a Condo unit
I was expecting that this router will be better than the router provided by Bell, but it was not. I called ASUS help desk and I was told that this router will not work in my single floor condominium unit, due to the concrete walls between the rooms. I am now back to my Bell router.
Published 4 months ago by ang

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, Nov. 25 2011
Charles P. Miller "ChuckPM" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (Personal Computers)
This unit was recommended by a number of technical sites I researched as the number one choice for routers. Having used it for a month now wired to my main desktop and wireless to second desktop, laptop, tablet, iPhone and two wi-fi enabled Sharp televisions; not one dropped signal throughout a three-storey house with unit located in basement office. Can only say that the reviews I read were right; this is a teriffic router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, Jan. 6 2012
Pro's:
Very easy to configure web interface
Very stable
Real N speed, extremely fast
Very good signal range and the boost configurable option works at perfection for large home
Nice design

con's:
Poor static IP adress interface, you can't name a device for wich you assign an IP, you can only see the MAC
slow refresh of the web interface when making changes to the configuration file
poor log file, not enough levels of details

bought 3 yet, one for my home, one for my mother and a third for a friend. I used to work with Linksys products but the Asus RT-N56U is way better than any other linksys AND DLink consumer product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, July 10 2012
Linux out of the box always a good thing! Router can be used to replace ISP supplied Fibre to the home solution routers, assuming your TV receivers can do Cat5E/6 for their connections. Used this to replace the Bell-Aliant Action Tech router that has the worse put together firmware I have ever scene. Go Bell Canada...

With the custom WAN interface options, for a Fibre to the home solution, all you need to know is what VLANs that your TV, Internet, and Phone run on. Ports 1 and 2 will be internet, 3 for phone and 4 is for your TV. Easiest router by far to use to replace the ISP solution's. Highly recommend as other solutions are not as easy to setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing router, April 21 2013
I work for a major IT company and I do a lot of research before making any purchase for my home office/network. This router was rated very highly and all the reviews were excellent so I purchased it for my home. The unit was simple to use, easy to set up and was working n minutes. The wireless range is amazing and far better then my last d-link unit. I would recomment this unit to novices and experts alike. Great unit that meets or beats all expectations

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, no issues yet, Jan. 6 2012
I bought this to replace my old DIR-625. Immediately noticed greater speeds when surfing. No problems setting it up. Took all of 5 minutes to have the basic network going. Wireless signal is very good. iPad's run on the 5ghz side and ipods/iphones/laptop run on 2.4 no conflicts. I would recommend this product for sure over the current Linksys or Cisco items for home users.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in a Condo unit, Dec 16 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS RT-N56U, March 11 2013
P White (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I ordered this to replace my D-link DIR-615. i've had it for about a month and so far so good. Streaming to Apple TV is much better and smartphones connecting well.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS RT-N56U, March 28 2014
Noticeably more stable than my D-Link DIR-655. Signal is very good in all 3 stories of my house.
User-friendly interface is easy to set up and navigate for quick set up, even by novice. But enough options for the intermediate user, like MAC address filtering and assigning static IP address to each computer and VPN for remote access.

Minus 1 star because there is no guest network option. But otherwise this is a fantasic router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, great price point, March 24 2014
I bought this modem to replace an aged Linksys WRT54G router than would slow down (Mb/sec download) routinely when too many devices were connected to it. This apparently is due to too little RAM in older routers (like 8-16 mbs I think). You wont have a problem with this router (up to 8 devices can connect without slowdown). Good speeds all the time, and using the 2.4Ghz band, distance is comparable to the Linksys router which goes from my basement up two levels in my house on wireless no problem. A nice looking router as well, you can stand on vertical plane or horizontal without the stand if you wish. heat vents out the sides so no issue lying it flat, but cool blue lights are nice. Somewhat more sensitive to pointing in right direction for wireless reception vs Linksys which had antennas, but not to a detrimental level. Installation is quick and easy (15 minutes maybe) with nice GUI based interface which pops up as soon as you connect the router. Dual band 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz, but I haven't used to higher band width as you lose distance but increase potential file transfer speed using the 5.0 and distance more important for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, March 18 2014
I ordered this router to replace a crappy router provided by my service provider. Also, I required this particular router as I needed to use customized firmware. I'm glad I made the purchase! This router totally blows away the crappy one! No hiccups when running multiple STBs and computers.

ARRAY(0xb588b468)