5.0 out of 5 stars Works Flawlessly
This device worked perfectly from the first time I used it. It comes with it's own fax app but I found the built-in Microsoft Fax and Scan app to be very easy to use so that's what I've been using. I've used this modem for approximately 2 months and have sent about 30 faxes during that time. It's worked perfectly every time.
Published on June 27 2011 by mustang_dan

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
Published on May 20 2013 by Maggie Des

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Flawlessly, June 27 2011
This review is from: TRENDnet TFM-561U 56K USB 2.0 Phone, Internet and Fax Modem (White) (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, May 20 2013
Maggie Des (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
New computer didn't have a built-in modem so this works with dial-up, plus you can send a fax if you wish. I found the writeup a little misleading as it seemed that the modem would allow you to stay on the internet and answer the phone while still connected. You do need to purchase a package that would allow this from your telephone company for this to happen. If the modem actually did this internally, it would be a five-star item. All in all, I'm pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows Faxing Services - good to go., June 3 2013
It's not clearly stated, but this modem is a pure hardware device, and requires no specific installation of any driver or software. Operation is built into most operating systems, and works even through port pass-through to virtual instances.

I haven't had a chance to do any long term evaluation, but it's operating fine after a few weeks. with no unexpected behaviour or problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent FAX Modem, July 15 2015
For the price this modem does a terrific job. I am using it connected 24/7 for computer FAX using Windows 7 WinFax. At first, I was having problems to send faxes, but it would receive perfectly. When sending it reported "An Unknown Error Occurred". The fix was to put the modem on a USB3 port; even though it is a USB2 device. I noticed on the USB3 port with this computer a new IRQ address and Port Number was assigned. I tried a different model and manufacture of modem and had the same fault condition when using it on a USB2 port.

Apparently for some reason which I did not investigate to great detail, on this computer when connected to a USB2 port the there was an IRQ COM address conflict. This has to do with Windows with the way the plug and play assigned the modem port in relation to the USB Root HUB, and not the modem itself. This was purely a Windows P&P issue on this particular computer with any other type of modem I tried.

I have three other computers where the exact same modem had no conflicts.

Bottom line, this is a terrific modem for FAX operation. I did not use it as a dial-up connection to a BBS or an Internet provider. For FAX this modem follows the North American protocol. All settings work at default for FAX.

This modem works like a FAX champ!

5.0 out of 5 stars dead simple, Jan. 6 2012
Finally. A product living up to its hype. This modem's accompanying disc made installation a snap. I've the computer savvy of a newborn, but had the modem operating in mere moments. First rate product - at an easy-to-to-take price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and reliable, March 29 2014
My new laptop doesn't have fax modem built-in card, however I sometimes need to send/receive faxes (still emails not always accepted). The only solution I considered is fax-via-USB converter. After analyzing different products of this type I came to the conclusion that this is what I need for the following reasons:
1. Price
2. Relatively compact so I can take with no problems it to my trips.
3. Nice look.
I got it and checked. Installation was simple and obvious. It started to work without problems. So I am satisfied. The only negative thing that I think about is USB connector. It is not mini/micro USB.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly good, March 14 2015
Item is as I expected it would be,since I owned a similar one from another company,which didn't last long.I'm on a Dialup connection where I get 32 kbPs speed on my desktop computer,whereas I get 26 KbPs with this external modem.When the modem starts it makes an awful screechy noise.which I hope can be remedied somehow! Time will tell.I was impressed with Amazon's efficiency in keeping me informed when item shipped right up to delivery in my mail box.

1.0 out of 5 stars PAS SATISFAITE, Aug. 20 2011
Bonjour,

J'ai acheté ce modem USB, il a fonctionné correctement pendant 15 jours puis je ne pouvais plus me connecter à internet tellement c'était lent.
J'ai testé internet sur un autre oridnateur et ça fonctionnait très bien, le problème venait donc bien du modem.
Excellent service d'Amazon pour le retour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trendnet TFM-561U 56K USB2.0 Phone/Internet/Fax Modem, April 20 2012
I tried this modem on a windows 7 laptop system and it worked as advertised, I did not test any advanced features like FAXing.
I also tried it on a LINUX desktop PC and could not get it to work, likely due to my incompetence with using LINUX (Ubuntu)but the instructions given for LINUX did not work for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Trick, Jan. 26 2014
Works well with my USB 3.0 port settings, unlike the older version. I does occasionally go into a strange state where it needs to be unplugged and plugged in again. I just have it near an accessible USB port so it's not much of an inconvenience. I suspect a driver issue.

TRENDnet TFM-561U 56K USB 2.0 Phone, Internet and Fax Modem (White)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 35.97