biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools

Format: DVDChange

on September 6, 2011
I did the 30 Day Shred workout program in June, 2011, and found it to be a great way to start each day (I have a review of the 30 Day Shred on its page). I kept using it until I finally received "Ripped in 30" at my door in August.

There are definitely a lot of similarities between the two programs: they both use the 3-2-1 system - 3 circuits of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs, with a 2 minute warm up and cool down. There are beginner versions of some of the tougher exercises.

What's different? Well, the videos are longer on average, so if you're working out in a limited space of time, you may want to allow about 33-38 minutes for each video. Also, there are 4 different workouts instead of 3 in the 30 Day Shred.

The exercises do not repeat at all over the 4 workouts, and I believe that weeks 3 & 4 are a bit more advanced than the 30 Day Shred. There are a lot more exercises in this program that develop balance and coordination. Jillian pulls from her experience in martial arts to bring some rather intense moves.

Jillian incorporates a lot more motivational talk and constantly reminds us that it's more than just about exercise, but about bringing our A game and stepping up every day of our lives.

The main complaint I had about the 30 day shred was the several minutes of messages that you have to wait for when loading the DVD. Thankfully, in "Ripped in 30", you can now skip or fast forward through the messages to get to the workouts quickly.

Overall, I believe this is a good program for intermediate to advanced training. If you're a beginner, you could stay on week 1 and 2 videos much longer to build up your strength, stamina, balance and coordination. I consider myself intermediate level, and still have trouble doing the advanced version of many of the moves. This program will definitely challenge you.
0Comment54 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
I have been doing this DVD for a week and love it! I find the music and instruction a lot better than the shred. For instance in this video Jillian specifically states that the workout should be done 5-6 times a week, the body needs a rest day! Also included on the DVD is a web address for a free 30 day meal plan and the meals are really simple including things that you can get on the go like subway. The workouts take about 34minutes to complete following the warm up and cool down so it is slightly longer than the shred and slightly more intensive. The 3-2-1 system of strength, cardio, and abs keeps me motivated to move on. Another slight change from the Shred is that the strength moves are cut down to 30 seconds each (3 exercises repeated twice) as opposed to 2 exercises one at 60sec and the other 30 sec then repeated, which seems a bit of a break, allowing me to keep up the intensity! In Level one I usually burn 400cal, pretty good for the time I put in!
0Comment56 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2011
Love this DVD. My absolute favorite, and I own a lot - many from the firm line, Jackie Warner etc. Jillian has the right tempo, new moves, and lots of attitude. My favorite workout is week three. Buy it and enjoy - strenght, cardio and abs.
on December 25, 2011
The best workout ever. Ships to Canada in less than a week.Four workouts, and 5 to 8 pounds lost per week. That is 20-30 pounds in a mount. You do not need fancy equipment, just the motivation to workout 5 to 7 days a week.
I love this.
on March 3, 2015
I own quite a few of Jillian Michaels DVD’s but Ripped in 30 is my favorite. I wish she had more DVD’s in the 30 day format. Although it is my favorite, it is not perfect and here are my Pet Peeves:

With all the money they spend on these can’t they edit out mistakes. In Level 3, Jillian misses a set of “Wide and Low Rows” for the second set and goes right to the cardio. I stop the DVD and do the other side. Can’t the video editors cut the exercise into the video if it is missed or reshoot that scene and edit it back in???
I found Level 3 on this video the most difficult of all the levels. I seem to sail through Level 4 and feel it really should have been the Level 3.
It always seems the people she chooses to demonstrate the “advanced” user often do the exercise incorrectly or at the same level as the beginner. I am often further advanced than the advanced users which isn’t as motivating.
Yes, sometimes the talking is annoying. I find the exercises she pronounces as “killer” with such statements as “you’re gonna hate me for this one”- are not difficult for me. So it’s annoying to hear her go on and on throughout the exercise about how tough it is.

I would consider myself an advanced user. After doing this DVD of and on for 3 months, I no longer find it challenging but I do find it a great overall workout for toning, building strength and losing fat.
on September 6, 2014
I really liked this DVD. I am only 2 weeks in but I can feel it working and Jillian really gets you to SWEAT!!
My only complaint is with the meal plan, I understand being on the go but I wish that there would be something offered in the place of say, muffins or Subway. I think that going clean is the best way to do it. It will also offer you the best benefits.
on January 5, 2012
Jillian has the best work-out videos by far! I know this cause I have tried so many. I am sweating and feeling it during and the next few days. Anyone who is serious about staying fit or tightening up buy this video!
on June 29, 2015
I love Jillian Michaels workouts, I have been doing them for that last five yrs when I first started to exercise at the age of 50....She is a inspiration...Health n exercise by loving ourselves!!!
on October 23, 2013
This DVD of Jillian's is the best I've seen so far. It's actually fun to do and you get a super workout. The meal plan that accompanies the workout program is easily accessible on her website.
on March 16, 2011
If you liked the Shred DVD, you will love Ripped in 30! The format is the same - 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. There are 4 levels, and each level is about 25 minutes long. At first I was a little skeptical that she would be able to introduce new excersises that were different from her Shred video, but for the most part she does! Each level shows modifications for beginners and advanced for the pros, and as always, Jillian is there to encourage and push you harder than you thought possible!