5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Day Shred, The Sequel
I did the 30 Day Shred workout program in June, 2011, and found it to be a great way to start each day (I have a review of the 30 Day Shred on its page). I kept using it until I finally received "Ripped in 30" at my door in August.

Published on Sept. 6 2011 by L. Gillespie

3.0 out of 5 stars She talks too much
Published 21 months ago by Sassy Lass

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Day Shred, The Sequel, Sept. 6 2011
L. Gillespie "lance135" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)

There are definitely a lot of similarities between the two programs: they both use the 3-2-1 system - 3 circuits of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs, with a 2 minute warm up and cool down. There are beginner versions of some of the tougher exercises.

What's different? Well, the videos are longer on average, so if you're working out in a limited space of time, you may want to allow about 33-38 minutes for each video. Also, there are 4 different workouts instead of 3 in the 30 Day Shred.

The exercises do not repeat at all over the 4 workouts, and I believe that weeks 3 & 4 are a bit more advanced than the 30 Day Shred. There are a lot more exercises in this program that develop balance and coordination. Jillian pulls from her experience in martial arts to bring some rather intense moves.

Jillian incorporates a lot more motivational talk and constantly reminds us that it's more than just about exercise, but about bringing our A game and stepping up every day of our lives.

The main complaint I had about the 30 day shred was the several minutes of messages that you have to wait for when loading the DVD. Thankfully, in "Ripped in 30", you can now skip or fast forward through the messages to get to the workouts quickly.

Overall, I believe this is a good program for intermediate to advanced training. If you're a beginner, you could stay on week 1 and 2 videos much longer to build up your strength, stamina, balance and coordination. I consider myself intermediate level, and still have trouble doing the advanced version of many of the moves. This program will definitely challenge you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Shred, March 22 2011
Nadine M. Simpson "Dini" (Vancouver Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
I have been doing this DVD for a week and love it! I find the music and instruction a lot better than the shred. For instance in this video Jillian specifically states that the workout should be done 5-6 times a week, the body needs a rest day! Also included on the DVD is a web address for a free 30 day meal plan and the meals are really simple including things that you can get on the go like subway. The workouts take about 34minutes to complete following the warm up and cool down so it is slightly longer than the shred and slightly more intensive. The 3-2-1 system of strength, cardio, and abs keeps me motivated to move on. Another slight change from the Shred is that the strength moves are cut down to 30 seconds each (3 exercises repeated twice) as opposed to 2 exercises one at 60sec and the other 30 sec then repeated, which seems a bit of a break, allowing me to keep up the intensity! In Level one I usually burn 400cal, pretty good for the time I put in!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good workout!, May 20 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
My second baby was 7 months old when I started doing Ripped in 30 and I had been exercising faithfully for about 4 months prior to this DVD. I do find the exercises effective, but I don't like how Jillian makes the girls talk into her microphone in her bra top and how she tells them she is going to bite their butts, etc. That is just weird to me.

I do have a problem with the DVD I ordered here. In the 3rd week, Jillian completely forgets one exercise. I have to pause the DVD, do the exercise and then start it again. I'm not sure if it's because the company I purchased from got them really cheap due to this flaw or if they are all like this. I have tried to do my seller review, but it's too late I guess and I'm unable to do it. There is no point in returning the product because the seller is far away and it took nearly a month to receive it in the first place.

I have yet to start my 4th week, but I can tell you that the 3rd week is really hard on your knees. I have sensitive knees to begin with, so I have to modify the exercises that I know bother me. So far, week 2 is my favourite. I normally her DVD one day, then the next day I'll run, DVD the next day and so on. I am seeing definition in my arms and legs and also a firmer butt. I had hoped for firmer abs, but perhaps that's just a dream after 2 kids.

All in all, it is a good DVD for approx. $10. You will get a good workout!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid workout - quick, but effective, June 17 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
This is the first Jillian Michaels' fitness DVD that I've tried and so far I am enjoying it. It is a full body workout and the format is fun and effective. Definitely gets my heart rate going and you really burn the calories - 350 cals yesterday and I'm still in week 1. Pretty good given it's only a 24 minute workout! Also, if you are a beginner, Jillian does provide a "modifier" for all of the exercises to help you get going. Very useful if you are still trying to build your core strength.

The meal plan is interesting - I'm not following it to the letter, but rather using it as a guide. There are some great snack ideas though and I have started to incorporate these into my daily routine.

Would definitely recommend this if you are looking for something new to try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 29 2011
Nikki M "phoebe_dog" (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
Great workout in a short amount of time. Of course the workouts are not easy, to get in shape in 30 mins a day, you have to work hard! Week 3 seemed to me to be the most difficult, but also my favorite.
This dvd is good for beginners and advanced with the help of modifiers. I can't wait to see what Jillan brings next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love her!, April 10 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
There were times during the workouts I would yell "you're a bitch, Jillian!" but only because she works us with this video! And does it ever work! I've lost 10.2 lbs in 4 weeks. Of course you must watch your calorie intake, and I also add resistance training as part of my weekly schedule. But this dvd was a fresh change from a stationary bike or a treadmill. I've even got my husband starting on week 1. Once I'm through it all, I plan to redo it but aim to follow the more advanced girl. I am a certified fitness trainer myself and find her exercises well done and safe. You'll definitely sweat with this dvd!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic whole body workout, March 16 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
If you liked the Shred DVD, you will love Ripped in 30! The format is the same - 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. There are 4 levels, and each level is about 25 minutes long. At first I was a little skeptical that she would be able to introduce new excersises that were different from her Shred video, but for the most part she does! Each level shows modifications for beginners and advanced for the pros, and as always, Jillian is there to encourage and push you harder than you thought possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, March 26 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
Love this. Step up from 30 day shred. Once again Jillian has out done herself. Amazing dvd. Just loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars She talks too much, Nov. 7 2012
Sassy Lass (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
This is a killer workout. I had to stick to some of the beginner moves because it's an extremely challenging workout. But it's hard to concentrate and focus when the instructor is constantly yapping, yapping, yapping and/or barking out commands. Just let me workout and cut out the butchy, tough guy attitude. It makes me less motivated. She drags on and on. Yes I know I "have to bring it", yes and I "have to give it my all" and blah, blah, blah. I need more motivation than that instead of her just talking every second. And I don't get her terminology. "Phone it in". What does that mean? Phone what in?

I skipped the cool down segment and did my own stretching because I felt that it was too short and rushed. I usually spend 7-10 minutes really focused on each muscle that I worked out and take the time to thoroughly stretch it out.

Aside from that, it's really difficult and if you are not ready for this don't attempt to do it. She also recommends doing this workout five to six days a week. Not happening. With an intense workout as this, you definitely need a day or two to rest because doing it back to back will lead you to over exertion and injury. You'll be sweating at the end for sure. If you want to be challenged then go for it. Thank goodness I borrowed it from the library first to try it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Results!!, Jan. 5 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 (DVD)
Jillian has the best work-out videos by far! I know this cause I have tried so many. I am sweating and feeling it during and the next few days. Anyone who is serious about staying fit or tightening up buy this video!

Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30
Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2011)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 8.99