5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...., Jan. 28 2011
NT (Surrey, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Social Distortion for many many years and have been to their concerts every time they roll through. They are a great band that have stood the test of time and continues to thrive. Each of Social Distortion's records have been different and this recent record does not stray from that. I must admit, I didn't know what to expect of the album and it was a pleasant suprise when I heard it. The day before the release, they had the full album streamed on their website for people to listen to. My initial reaction was: what happened??? Well, they evolved...yet again...and I couldn't stop listening to the album. The guitar works in Bakersfied and Writing on the wall are absolutely fantastic. Needless to say, I ended up picking up the album a couple of days later. The songs are well written and pack a nice punch. The tones from the guitars are absolutely amazing and dare I say that it is the best I've heard from Social Distortion. I bought the 2 Vinyl edition that came along with the CD. The vinyl has a much better sound than the cd does and I do enjoy listening to it more. I still have not been able to put down the album.

A lot of people may not like the new record due to the softer nature of the songs. Yes, the songs are a bit softer but they are very well written and put together. If you listen to their previous albums, particularly Sex Love and Rock and Roll, and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, you will hear a lot of similarities. This album is very engaging. Everytime I have it playing, makes me want to pick up my guitar and start playing along, like all their other albums. I would highly recommend picking up this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mix of old and new Social Distortion, Jan. 19 2011
Kobee (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes (Audio CD)
Wow, I was really, really excited about this album - and I wasn't disappointed. To me this has the best of both worlds... Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell crossed with Sex, Love and RnR. To me, I think this is the best produced and smoothest, richest Social D album to date (and the first that was solely produced by Mr. Ness). I read that apparently they used vintage gear to record this album. It shows! (do I hear tubes?).

A good mix of rocking tunes with with some slower stuff (Bakersfield could be a country tune), and even one of the coolest instrumentals I've ever heard, and even a pop tune.

The only reason I don't give it a full 5 stars is that the last 2 songs (Can't Take it With You and Still Alive) just don't grab me. On top of that, the disc that I ordered from Amazon and paid 17 bucks for came in a crappy cardboard case with no liner notes! Not the band's fault, I know but still a bit of disappointment.

ARRAY(0xb006d7a4)

Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes
Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes by Social Distortion (Audio CD - 2011)