5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, watch it, love it., April 7 2011
This review is from: Summer Wars - Movie [Blu-Ray] (Blu-ray)
Summer Wars is as perfect as anime gets and is by far superior to any film I saw out of Hollywood last year. This is a family film about a family overcoming personal conflicts through saving the world when virtual reality begins to take over our reality. Both a social critique and a technological cautionary tale, Summer Wars is the cream of the anime crop. Funny, terrifying, and edge-of-your-seat exciting, Summer Wars delivers on all emotional fronts.

5.0 out of 5 stars An anime that has everything, Feb. 28 2011
This review is from: Summer Wars (DVD)
Being a HUGE anime fan, I must say that with most quality anime being a series and so few full length feature films, that I was really looking forward to seeing this. Given the latter plus the movies plot line and art style, my expectations for this movie were set pretty high. Usually when that happens, I end up majorly disappointed but I am very happy to say that that didnt happen this time because THIS MOVIE FREAKING ROCKED!!!!!

It had everything in it, action, romance, comedy and drama, plus it covered so many issues. There is so much going on that you would think that the movie would lose control but some how it strikes this fine balance that just makes everything work. Whether you are an anime fan or not, I would say that this movie will leave every viewer, no matter who is watching it, entertained and with something they can relate to.

At $20, this movie is a steal and you'll definitely get your moneys worth as you'll be watching again, again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great movie, but very familiar, April 2 2012
Skilas (Toronto, ON CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Wars (DVD)
I could go on and on about how great Summer Wars is, but I'll try to get straight to the point.

Summer Wars is awesome. The animation style is one of my favourites, and the movie hits a lot of the right beats. It's funny, it has action, it has drama, it's suspenseful, and it's emotional.

The biggest issue is that for anyone who's ever watched "Our War Game" (a Digimon movie) or saw the American version of The Digimon Movie (middle section), Summer Wars is all too familiar.

From "messing around" on computers, to a rogue virus/AI, to even the climactic finale, it's eerily the same. It could have just been one big coincidence, but considering it's the same director for both films, it's not. True Our War Game is just 40 mins where Summer Wars is a feature length film, but there are so many scenes that are similar that it takes away from a lot of the show-stopping moments because it doesn't feel new.

This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. I still thought it was an amazing movie. It just lacked the wow factor. And I think a lot of fans who've seen either the Digimon Movie, or Our War Game will feel the same. If you haven't seen it, then enjoy!!! You're about to watch one of the best anime films I've seen in a long time. It's funny, heartfelt and loaded with action. In fact I'm jealous. Because even when I saw it for the first time, it didn't really feel like the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUMMER WARS <3, Dec 24 2011
Excellent Movie,

For those who have seen Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle or The girl who Leapt through time will LOVE this movie. AMAZING soundtrack and the paper of the dvd case comes out and has a mini poster of the back. We brought it to several of our friend's house to watch and they loved it as well. A definite keeper as it appeals to all ages and is suitable for younger children as well but having parents around is a good idea at the parts where love machine gets kinda creepy. This is one is a great feel good movie with unexpected plot twists and a heartwarming but interesting story line. HEAVILY RECOMMENDED :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Anime Movie Ever!, June 26 2013
This is by far one of, if not the best anime movie I have ever watched.
The graphics/artwork are amazing, and very unique. I love the style, and the flow of the characters.
The storyline is fun, and thought provoking. Especially when you compare it to how things operate in our world today.
There were moments in the movie that I cried because it was just so heartwarming and moving. There were parts I laughed, and others that left me wondering for days about things. This is the type of movie that will never get old, you can watch it again and again and its still just as incredible as the first time you watched it.
I HIGHLY recommend this film, to any anime lover, animation lover, art lover, good movie lover. Anyone who wants an amazing movie, that's great for the whole family. This is a MUST see, if not a must own.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAST MOVIE EVER!!!, May 26 2013
I love this movie its so exiting every time i watch it. PEOPLE WHO DID NOT BUY THIS MOVIE I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE TO YOU

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie!, April 17 2013
This review is from: Summer Wars (DVD)
This is another awesome movie! Starts off a little slow, but as the characters develop and the plot starts going it turns into a very heartwarming, action-packed film!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful little family movie that actually is all about the family!, March 12 2013
John Thomas Anderson (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Summer Wars is another of those delightful little family movies that nobody has ever heard of. So it's nice to see it re-released here so that hopefully more people will get to see this wonderful little creation.

At first it appears to be your typical action/comedy movie. Kenji, a young nerd who works part-time for the internet giant OZ (which in this movie appears to be a blend of Facebook, Google & Microsoft all rolled into one) gets hijacked by one of his fellow classmates into joining her for her Grandmother's 90th birthday celebration at the family compound not knowing that they all think he's her fiance! While back in the virtual world of OZ which controls virtually everything from banking to traffic signals; a super virus is waiting to pounce which could endanger them all!

If this were all there was to the movie; it would be a good movie but nothing more. However what really makes it so good is not the on-line crisis or even his trying to cope with this new family he knows nothing about; but the family itself. The little kids act just like little kids should. The wife's in the kitchen act just like wife's in the kitchen would. The moody teen is a moody teen and the matriarchal head of the family is a tough old lady who doesn't take crap from everybody while deep inside she is still the loving grandmother who loves her family even when they disappoint. And when the family is threatened and things happen bad and good; family will have to pull together to well......, save the world! It's a wonderful little movie!

This movie is about the closest I've seen come to a non Studio Ghibli type movie (you know stuff like Totoro, Ponyo or Arrietty). It has the same wonderful feel and quiet sensibilities. Lot's of action, yes but more importantly that wonderful quiet feel with characters that you really love. So I highly recommend it.

One of the best animated movies to come out of Japan in the last few years. 4-1/2 stars out of five!

J. A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer wars, Jan. 22 2013
This review is from: Summer Wars (DVD)
I really enjoyed the film.It had fantastic animation by far one of the best anime movies ever and great for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film :3, May 8 2012
Foxykin (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Wars - Movie [Blu-Ray] (Blu-ray)
I was surprised by Summer Wars. It was recommended to me by a few people who had enjoyed it, but I don't think I expected it to be as good as it turned out to be! Colourful, unique, and very enjoyable. Highly recommended to any sci-fi anime fan looking for a believable, clever and entertaining watch.

ARRAY(0xb0010150)