5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic purchase...fabulous color!!..
Published on Jan. 2 2012 by Frizzle

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great.
I did a lot of reading before deciding to buy this mixer. I'd discovered the extensive number of people complaining about their kitchen aids, but i also recall my parents which has worked for them flawlessly for decades, so i though a professional series with "all metal gears" was the way to go. Ordered through amazon which was great as always and arrived quickly...
Published 17 months ago by FormosaWest

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic purchase...fabulous color!!.., Jan. 2 2012
I LOVE this new KitchenAid mixer!! I chose this model primarily for its large capacity bowl and also because the bowl lifts to the mixer and the mixer head doesn't have to be lifted up. Although it is a couple of inches taller than the KitchenAid Artisan mixer, I am able to leave it on my counter under my cupboards and just slide it forward a bit when I want to use it. Because the Artisan mixer head lifts up, it actually becomes a "bigger" machine when the head is tilted. I worried it might be a nuisance having to remove the paddle/hook before removing the bowl, but it becomes second nature once you start using the mixer. It's definitely not a concern. On the other hand, it has taken me a bit longer to get used to lining up the three points on the bowl so it will "snap/lock" in place.

Although there is just my husband and myself at home now, when we get together we are a family of 19 so many of our recipes are done in big batches. I did all my holiday baking (as well as mashing a huge quantity potatoes for Christmas dinner) with my new mixer and wished I had bought it years ago.

One of my big concerns when I made this purchase, was what color "pearl metallic" really was. I checked numerous blogs and websites (both Canadian and US, visited several local stores and couldn't find a clear description). I was completely happy when it arrived...pearl metallic is a soft medium grey color...very rich (similar to the dark peuter color)...with a nice (easy to clean) glossy sheen. The service from Amazon.ca was amazing as well. I placed my order late Thursday evening and the mixer arrived on Tuesday afternoon. It was shipped from Mississauga to Thunder Bay (1200 miles)....free shipping and delivered right to my front door.

I do think KitchenAid should rethink their decision to include the mixer blades and hooks that are NOT dishwasher proof with this model. I have purchased an extra paddle that IS dishwasher proof (another $35 on sale!!). I know it's just a matter of time before I accidentally load the whisk or blades in the dishwasher (they look like they should be dishwasher proof....but my daughter has this mixer as well.....and I know for certain they are NOT!!...expensive lesson!!).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great., March 17 2013
FormosaWest - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: KitchenAid 4KP26M1XNP Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer, Nickel Pearl (Kitchen)

..Opened the package carefully and with pride. I then proceeded to read the instruction manual. Once id read it (cover to Cover (skipping over the recipes)), i plugged it in and turned it on to the first speed setting
1. Good.
2. good.
3 good.
4.... No more.
a loud noise came from the front internal casing and it began to rattle like it had self-destructed. I shut it off immediately and my mouth dropped in amazement. It had died before even trying out all the speeds, let alone a single recipe

So, it was Dead on arrival. It sounded as though it just chewed up its own insides.
So we called kitchen aid and after a long conversation convincing them that yes indeed it arrived broken, and that we had not used the dough hook on the wrong speeds, they shipped another one and we sent the defective one back.

The replacement has been used for a total of 6 recipes. 3 cookies, 2 cakes and one cupcake, and frosting x3. this weekend while mixing icing sugar on speed 8 it started making this terrible rattle noise inside like something has broken loose. Ive had it for about 4 months and am contemplating calling them again for a replacement because this is similar to the noise it made when it died on us.

... ..when we told my girlfriends family about it, I learned that my girlfriends parents kitchen-aid pro6 had just died, and my girlfriends brothers had just died all within a space of a few months.
My girlfriends parents had theres for a couple years without problems, but the warranty is no longer active so i opened it up and found that the transmission cover was cracked in half.
My girl friends brother's girlfriend attends culinary school. I was also told that at this particular culinary/baking school there is a graveyard of these things laying dead, and that hers had died only a few weeks after we had bought ours.

So.. lesson is: This is a very nice looking mixer made out of the cheapest possible internal parts. Metal or not, it is terribly cast, poor quality tin or aluminum or something.

So is it all bad??
Probably not. Id summarize that this a good design made of poorly manufactured parts. it has a high probability of failure, but may prove to function to an agreeable service life. If a failure occurs, they are easy to fix and parts are cheap, so local repair or do it yourself repair is well within the means of those prepared to diagnose the problem, acquire all the necessary replacement parts, and isnt afraid of diving into a greasy job.

I know a few people who use theirs daily and havent had a single problem... so it seems that theres a bit of luck involved.
Perhaps its a matter of variability in the durability of parts. with such poorly cast parts, you can see how flaws are formed in the castings, leaving weaknesses in the parts.
Im not sure what metal it is, but it is likely of inadequate purity and a poorly chosen alloy... something that kitchenaid should see to changing. then again, maybe they dont care to fix it, or enjoy making money on selling people a new one or charging for repairs

You might get a good one, but then again you might not.
The upside is it looks like there is a large comunity of owners who are willing to lend support to one another to make repairs relatively straightforward for do it yourself repairs once warrenty is expired.

My advise is, know the market and know what you might be getting into when you make your purchase. Be happy with what you chose, just know that repairs are easier on the environment and wallet than replacement, and it is likely you will need a repair one time or another

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to any kitchen, May 15 2012
This mixer was purchased for us by my grandmother as a wedding gift, and we couldn't be happier with it. It has been used at least twice a week since we received it two months ago without any issues or disappointment. This is defintely a usable small appliance, and not one that will collect dust.

We have processed various mixtures with the machine and have had great success. It can handle a relatively large cookie batter recipe with ease, and a 6 cup mixture of notoriously difficult to knead pasta dough was mixed with moderate loading on the motor. It does a fantastic job of kneading bread dough, again with the included dough hook. The beater attachment works very well for high speed frothing and mixing of icings and meringues. Mixing of a more dry, sticky recipe like those for granola bars caused a lot of the ingredients to gather on the paddle attachment, but we found the remedy for this to be a short burst at a higher speed to "clean" the paddle off. At times it seems a little weak in the lowest speed setting with really heavy mixes, but bumping it up one level seems to solve this problem and allow it to operate normally without excessive strain and noise.

The only part of the machine we could do without is the clear plastic bowl shield. We do not find a lot of use for a shield, as by controlling the speed one can avoid the messes of ingredients coming out of the bowl. We found it to be more of an inconvenience than useful, and the only time it is on the bowl is when the machine is not in use!

Aesthetically, it is very pleasing. The pearl metallic colour and its shape compliment our modern kitchen well. It appears robust in design, and there is no straining or flexing of the machine during loading or operation.

Overall, we view this machine as an excellent purchase and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The heavily discounted price at Amazon makes it a much more worthy purchase than some of other Kitchenaid models that look great but fall short in the motor and bowl size area, yet still cost as much as the this unit in a store. Happy mixing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, May 12 2014
I loved my stand mixer... When it was working. I had one motor burn out after 6 months of use. I replaced it under warranty so besides the hassle it wasn't that big a deal. The new mixer broke just outside warranty and after about a dozen uses. So far I'm 0 for 2. Their customer service policy for such situations I find lacking substantially, as they're only willing to offer 20% off a new mixer, making a $700 mixer a $560 mixer. Yep, that's right, it's still cheaper to order a whole new unit from amazon or almost anywhere else than to get their I'm-sorry-your-mixer-broke-outside-warranty deal. I'm very disappointed. It worked so well when it worked, but it's simply not a quality machine by any stretch of the imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, but not indestructible., Jan. 7 2014
R. Hamilton (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
This machine is wonderful and performs as advertised. Searching through the one and two star reviews, it becomes apparent that under heavy, heavy strain you may experience issues. Under any sort of creaming, whisking, whipping and general mixing, you can fill the huge 6 quart bowl right up and go to town. However, for kneading it is absolutely essentially that you operate within the parameters of the machine. A large amount (say 2kg or more) of a lower-hydration dough (say less than 60%, for example pizza dough) will definitely bring this KitchenAid to it's knees. Keep the speed at 2 or lower and the number of loaves at 2 or 3 and you should experience no issues.

If you're the type to make 8 loaves of bread at a time, consider the 700 series KitchenAid or the 7 quart Cuisnart model with 1000W motor.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!!, Jan. 7 2013
i love this color, it is a beautiful baby yellow. the mixer is awesome! very good investment! no complaints at all, great for making bread, cookies anything your heart desires.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Roll Royce of Mixers, Sept. 17 2011
This is a simple mixer yet very powerfull and versatile! I highly recommend it, specialy if you have a big family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Died, March 3 2013
My new machine died while making bread after a week.
I called and they shipped a replacement to me within a few days.
They also provided a label to ship the broken machine back for free.

Overall, it broke but was replaced quickly. I have had the replacement for a month and use it every weekend. No issues yet.

Id highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mixer but how reliable???, March 2 2012
Alex D. (Gatineau, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had never used a standmixer and I bought a Kitchenaid Classic in November 2011. I've started to mix bread (3 1/4 or 6 1/2 cups of flour) and pizza dough on a regular basis and also bought the Pasta roller, spaghetti & fettucini cutters. Poor thing was going through hell rolling the pasta dough and kneading my pizza dough (not that much flour but with an egg in, it was a tad hard to knead). I decided to upgrade my Kitchenaid to something bigger and stronger or so I thought. I've read a whole pile of reviews on Amazon US and quite a few people had issues with stripping their gear box in the Pro 600 and lots of people do not have issues...

Anyways I've ordered my Pro 600 in Pearl Metallic (gorgeous color!!!) on Jan 14 2012 and received it on Jan 17. Fast delivery, thanks Amazon! Out of the box, cleaned it and mixed a pizza dough. That thing is a beast! No hiccups the spiral dough hook does a fantastic job (better than the C hook from the Classic) and the dough is soooo smooth. Same for the bread but since I don't eat that much bread (my roommate usually finishes the loaf) I only did half recipes; so 3 1/4-1/2 cups of flour. Same for the pastas I usually do half recipes with 2 eggs and about 2cups of flour. So all in all I think I've mixed 15 pizzas dough, 5 loafs of bread, 4 batches of pasta dough and 5 cake mixes. Well yesterday March 2nd I started my mixer on a bread dough and about 6-7 minutes in the kneading process I started to hear a dreadful gear grinding noise... yeah... there it was, my mixer was dying. Now I'm in the process of getting a replacement from Kitchenaid. Did I get a bad machine? Is it a flawed design? I don't know but I'll update my review when I get my replacement.

1.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!, Aug. 28 2012
I would love to say buy this but I have been burned. Just 5 days after the warranty expired the motor started shuddering and stalling. I was making bread dough (6 cups flour which it should easily be able to take) and it gave up. Trust me, Whirlpool which owns Kitchenaid could care less once the warranty is up.
Whilst it worked it was great - but it is not reliable.