march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

4.5 out of 5 stars2,763
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on July 10, 2004
Reflecting back on the enormous popular and critical success of 'The Matrix', it is refreshing to note that people were overwhelmingly drawn to a film that conformed itself neither to the cynical and pessimistic bent that informs many recent movies nor to an easy and clichéd sort of optimism. The quest for truth is not mocked but strongly valorized here. This film is especially interesting for the numerous clues it gives about how spirituality is envisioned in the modern, technological world: organized groups and systems of all kinds (social, religious, political...) are discarded in favour of a more individualistic, master-disciple type of spiritual experience; at the same time, the notion of an official church is replaced by secret fraternities. This disregard for dogmas entails an eclectic approach that welcomes elements of Eastern thought (especially Buddhism and Taoism), of Hellenism and of Christianity; the path towards enlightenment is the Way, or Tao, which can't be put into words but must be lived. Neo's ongoing initiation features recurrent death-resurrection motifs - it does get caught up in a few noisy and overdone action scenes, but it remains fascinating from beginning to end. And the movie works well as an introduction to philosophy...
on August 27, 2013
I'm not going to review the film, since most people have already seen or at least know the plot.

It's not true 1920 x 1080, but it does appear to be very close. (The only reason I know is because I work in television).

The shipment came ahead of schedule (only took 3 days).

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the quality of translation, for I do not speak French, but this is definitely worth the money
!!!!!
on November 24, 2007
The Matrix Trilogy, and especially the first installment, must be one of the most significant films of our time, and is likely to go down as an all time sci-fi classic along with the likes of Blade Runner. It is obviously laden with symbology fished from a variety of sources, but I wonder if the Watchowski brothers realised just exactly how powerful a metaphor for our reality they were creating.

The central premise that our lives are not 'real' but are steeped in illusion in order that our life force may be fed upon whilst we are enfenced unwittingly like cattle - this is a relevant and powerful message on many levels. It can easily be seen that this is true on a superficial level, with the rampant rise of ultra-aggressive capitalist consumerism, whereby everyone is 'sold a dream' in order to siphon off all income to profit the few, but it goes deeper than that, and can be used to catch a glimpse of some ideas on the true nature of reality. The overlap with material such as Castaneda is remarkable, with stories about the archetypal predator who is invisible, and feeds on us because he has 'given us his mind'. In all, it is a striking metaphor for the human condition.

Of course the great thing is that, even if you don't want to explore things to those levels, taken at surface value as a piece of entertainment, the Matrix is still a fantastic sci-fi/action film, with colourful characters, awesome visuals, and a solid original plotline. Taken as a trilogy, this is a fantastic piece of film-making artwork, but the first episode definitely has the lead for sheer impact and originality. Recommended to all!
on February 21, 2014
For me this movie is now already a classic. I previously owned this title on DVD, and surprisingly, I noticed less improvement going from the DVD to the Blu-ray than other titles. Why is this? Well, the original DVD was anamorphic with excellent mastering, if also looks quite good when upscaled and has a pretty good surround mix. All that said, the blu-ray is impressive. Watching both back to back I noticed better color, better resolution and more defined sound. I am still not sure whether it was really worth the cost to upgrade to blu-ray in this case, but I do know for certain that I now have 2 DVD copies of the Matrix to get rid of versus the one I have previously (my old copy, plus the one from this Blu-ray + DVD combo package).

I would like to add one more thing, for those who have not yet seen this movie, the great story and excellent picture and and sound makes this a five star rating. For those that already have the DVD, it is a 3 star. Therefore, I give it a 4 start overall rating
When The Matrix was released in 1999, it gave audiences something new. Some of the ideas had been used before, but the overall combination had not. It can be viewed as a cool action/sci-fi movie or as something a lot deeper.

Thomas Anderson/Neo (Keanu Reeves) has a regular job working in an office cubicle, but searches online for the identity of someone when he's at home. One day, his computer communicates with him by text messages and his life is forever changed. After following suggestions made by the messages, he meets Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss).

Morpheus gives Neo a choice and shows him how the world really is. It's been taken over by sentient forms of artificial intelligence and humans are nothing more than fuel. Human life no longer exists in the sense that we know it. Instead, experiences are artificially created in the minds of the imprisoned humans. Morpheus and a small group offer Neo the chance to fight back.

After the initial setup, we see Neo undergoing his training. Morpheus and his crew are able to impart knowledge of any kind within seconds by loading information directly into Neo's brain. We see him learn many different martial arts and his skills are tested in a fight with Morpheus. Success depends on Neo's belief in his ability rather than actual physical prowess. He's capable of jumping huge distances and moving at speeds which aren't possible in the world as we know it.

Morpheus leads a fight against the A.I.'s and believes that Neo is The One, as predicted in a phrophecy. If true, Neo might have the ability to liberate all humans and allow them to live real lives.

Action scenes are frequent and use slow motion to emphasize some of the moves. It's a cool effect and is part of the reason that The Matrix is one of the most popular science fiction movies ever made. As I mentioned earlier, it can be viewed as something deeper. It's up to you whether you see it as a comment on religion or on life itself. It's definitely a movie which can be enjoyed on more than one level.
on November 17, 2007
This is still my favourite movie and one that I have seen more than 10 times. It is a movie that can be seen on many levels. Some will see it just as a great action movie which it is, but there is so much more to this film. It is a fantastic depiction of the journey of the spiritual seeker and the difficulties that he encounters within himself as he starts pushing against the prisons of his own mind and the multitude of programs that operates and which keep us small.

It also neatly depicts the way humans are kept as 'food for the moon' in Gurdjieff's words or simply food for ultra terrestrials. In the film this is depicted as humans, being little less than cultivated biological batteries for the machines.

The story is part of a trilogy and all three parts are worth watching more than once, as you will undoubtedly see new things each time. Things that start making sense only after some time of reflection and reading. In this regard I can recommend reading the book by Ouspensky called "In Search of the Miraculous", and the book by Laura Knight-Jadczyk called "The Secret History of the World".
on May 28, 2004
This movie has a great cast, great cosutmes, cutting edge action, original storyline and it's just plain cool. The leather duds, flying kicks and black glasses have brought back the popularity of the trench coat, brought back appreciation for kung fu movies and sent the sunglass revolution on a spinning craze.
The script is quite clever that to this day I still find it mind-boggling. It has definitely sparked after-movie discussions because I've had to ask my more intellectual friends to explain it to me. I am glad that it decided to throw in action sequences which suited the less brainy audiences. All around a novel concenpt and should have just stopped right here.
The following sequels seemed somewhat of a disappointment. As you were expecting each sequel to become more novel and orginal, it had to come to deal with teh reality of the Matrix in the fight of humans aginst the machines. It was better to have left you wondering and thinking "what-if".
My favorite characters, by far, are the agents. In their secret-service like manner to be anti-cool, they were very cool and just as lethal as the rebels. "Find them and Destroy Them" is one of my favorite lines followe dby an agent slowly bringing his hand to his ear piece.
A neat film. Conceptually confusing at times, but the action more than makes up for it.
on March 27, 2013
I consider this movie to be one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, right up there with the first two 'Alien' movies and various anime like 'Cyber City: Oedo', 'Ghost in the Shell' (which played a role in inspiring this movie), and 'Akira'. Being the hardcore anime fan that I am, I found 'The Matrix's' style very appealing and fun to watch. Everyone fit their roles perfectly in this movie; despite the fact that I'm not a fan of any of them (except Hugo Weaving), Keanu Reeves was much more likeable and believable than Will Smith would have ever been (he was originally considered to play the role of Neo, but he himself turned it down because 'he wasn't a serious enough actor'. I like Will Smith, but I totally agree with him). And let's not forget Hugo Weaving's brilliant performance as Agent Smith. Like this movie, I consider Hugo Weaving to be one of the greatest things to have ever come into existence. He has maintained his status of being the highlight in the entire Matrix franchise, alongside the action sequences that are nothing short of amazing.
Now, many people complain about the middle of this movie up until the point where Neo sees a deja-vu cat to be super-boring, but I disagree, and I tell them to open their damn ears and listen to what the characters were saying so that they are so frigging confused later on, because everything that's said in the movie is said with a purpose. Not to mention, everything that's said is actually very interesting.
"Whoa."
Anyway, I'll be closing this review by highly recommending it to any sci-fi lover who's been crazy enough to NOT view it yet. This movie is like the 'Pulp Fiction' of... well... science fiction.
***** out of *****
TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 17, 2010
To Neo (Keanu Reeves) it seemed as if his entire life was a dream. As with most of us he was searching for something. He was also looking for a person named Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) who would be able to answer the burning question "What is the Matrix?" It just may be possible that for other reasons Morpheus may be looking for Neo.

The movie producers get points for it the first people to do the particular FX.

This film even though it has a beginning and an end is really the first is a series that unfolds a further truth.

Keanu Reeves plays his part well; however, he is better as Siddhartha in "Little Buddha" (1994). Their little trick with pills reflecting off the classes was good. Speaking of Buddha one does not realize until going through the rest of the films in this series that there is a subtle Buddhist philosophical thread running through them.

Even though this is a review of the first film in a series or trilogy I do have the compete Blu-ray set. It rather grows on you.

Little Buddha
on November 17, 2007
This is still my favourite movie and one that I have seen more than 10 times, as I went out and got the VHS edition back then before DVD's were in. It is a movie that can be seen on many levels. Some will see it just as a great action movie which it is, but there is so much more to this film. It is a fantastic depiction of the journey of the spiritual seeker and the difficulties that he encounters within himself as he starts pushing against the prisons of his own mind and the multitude of programs that operates and which keep us small.