4.0 out of 5 stars Either version it's a great game, Aug. 11 2011
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokemon: Black Version - Nintendo DS Standard Edition (Video Game)
Pokemon Black & White is essentially the same great game Pokemon has been since Red & Blue. You're still a young trainer, male or female who is just about to go on his or her very first Pokemon journey. You have to pick a Pokemon between Fire, Water and Grass elements and are given Pokeballs and a Pokedex and off you go to conquer the Unova region! Try to collect the 8 gym badges as is usual and your enemies this time are Team Plasma who wants to separate Pokemon from their trainers. The game basics have not changed much. Even the controls are the same (there is not much stylus use to be made unfortunately). Usually Pokemon versions of a game don't difference themselves much from another (like Red & Blue, Gold & Silver), there are some exclusive Pokemons in each version but they're basically the same. However, the Black & White editions changes that. Pokemon Black is focused on cities with experienced trainers while White has more of an emphasis on nature and open fields. It's really up to what YOU prefer: city or nature. Ultimately whatever version the player picks this is a great addition to the Pokemon video game franchise.

The Black & White generation of Pokemon games introduces seasons, a cool new addition. Some Pokemons even change appearance according to seasons! There are some slight 3D graphics that enhance the visuals this time around although it's far from anything major. The 3D perspective for bridges and buildings looks great. There are even animations during battles, Pokemons move and look better. There are also new battle modes, the triple and rotational battles (my favorite) which are cool additions but unfortunately there are not enough of them! The Pokemon in this version are not the best I have to say. I grew up with the original generation when there was only 150 "pocket monsters" and was big into Pokemon up until the Gold and Silver games which were also excellent. I had the cards, books, watched the show, and even had a poster on my wall. I can safely say that some of the Pokemons in Black & White are great but there are plenty that look awful and just don't work. It looks like they lacked great ideas (I mean a candle, seriously? That's just one example) at this point but the game remains excellent.

The difficulty seems to be easier for Black & White for some reason as other reviewers have noticed. I've played previous titles and looking back they all seem harder. That's not to say that Black & White don't have their challenges, each Pokemon game does but I played through this one a little quicker and I found the level of difficulty to be less harsh this time around. On the other hand this is a very fun and entertaining entry into the Pokemon gaming world and I could hardly stop myself from playing. It may not be the best Pokemon video game but it's a satisfying entry that should satisfy the old school fans and newcomers as well.

The game is not as revolutionary as Nintendo would have you believe. If you're unsure, read other reviews and watch videos and then decide. I know I don't regret my purchase. I really like Pokemon Black and what it offers even if it's not the perfect Pokemon title, it's a great game. Without a doubt it beats the Pearl edition that I also have. I think there is something for every Pokefans out there and I would recommend it. To me this is a 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Pokemon game in years., March 23 2011
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ever since Pokemon Gold and Silver, the Pokemon franchise has been going downhill. Black and White are finally the games to bring this series back to life. The game is fun, and the story line actually has some meaning, unlike any other Pokemon game before it. The only complaint I have about the game is some of the Pokemon designs, and names are just horrid, but as a long time Pokemon fan, that could be just nostalgia talking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new, but incomplete (for a reason)., April 14 2014
I picked up this game after a couple years of skipping Pokémon purchases, and to my surprise I was impressed by the change. The sprites in this version aren't stagnant and actually move about on the battle field. Sadly, they removed the mechanic from Heart Gold and Soul Silver that enabled your Pokémon to follow you. The story isn't anything special, but is an accepted change. After a good play-through of the game I felt as if something was missing, and surely enough a "part two" was released the year after with a continued story and a slightly different look once again. I would recommend picking this game up solely because it's another installment in the series, but if you don't care about the story then you may as well just pick up Pokémon White/Black 2 and save yourself an adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have someone to play with its golden., Aug. 6 2014
Kulololi - See all my reviews
Play with someone and its a great experience. My brother and I played these together, I already had white and black 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars pokemon black, Feb. 5 2012
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After receiving the new poké mon used, I tested it out before I gave it as a gift. I ended up playing it for five hours straight. pretty awesome game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great changes, and fun style, June 2 2011
I have been a fan of pokemon since its first anime debut, and bought games as the series went on. The style of the battle system, and type, and move combinations are extending to new heights! The new rotation, and triple battle system, even if you don't get to play them that much, could develope into the next battle system in the next games. The characters, especially the main character's friends, are different than most previous games as they don't rush off after they battle you, but carry out longer conversations, and can give you hints to events, or what to do next. The plot, I must say, is one of the best. N, a character who you happen to cross paths with many times, plans for you to battle him almost every time since you met because he doesn't understand why your pokemon can like you so much. SPOILER: Since he grew up with pokemon that are sad or angry, he doesn't understand that there are pokemon that are happy just being with people. And, when you obtain the legendary pokemon, he than plans for you to battle him to determine the fate of pokemon, just like the creation of Unova legend, where the two brothers battled with the legendary pokemon to determine which of the brothers is right.

I really reconmend this game or the Pokemon White version, as they are memorable games with so many great features like: Game Sync, where you can send your pokemon off to Pokemon Dream World, and when it comes back, the pokemon that you caught, and items found in the Entree. The Entree is where you can connect to another players Entree as long as you are in the correct area(s) in the game. You can use Pass Powers, and missions with Entree. Also, you can use pokemon from your previous games with Poke Transfer, but a word of warning, pokemon transferred cannot return to their original DS games. Besides these, there are more features that are fun to explore, and there are traditional features too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! New Pokemon game!, March 14 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Been playing since the very first pokemon game on the original gameboy. Played them all and love them all! This one is no different. I even spent the time restarting and trading in all starter pokemon into my brothers copy so we both could start with them all! Took an average of 50min/re-start, 5 times in total before I could actually start to play the game! Im at the second gym now and I love it.

The new pokemon are fun and different but still remind me of certain old school pokemon that you start with from the original game. Job well done with this game!

Can't wait till my guide shows up to see all the evolutions! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of hours of fun, Oct. 28 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought Black/White to play with my boyfriend. So far I'm 30 hours in, and still have a decent amount of game left to play! This is definitely giving a lot of content for you buck. It's of course in the typical Pokemon style, where you start out with your Pokemon and beat all the gyms to make it to the elite.

If you like the Pokemon games, and have some time to kill, pick this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of New Features!, May 4 2011
Madd (Cornwall, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's my first review, so I'm warning it may or may not contain SPOILERS:

I have to say I was seriously impressed with this new Pokemon game. I've been playing them since Gameboy Colour, and the last generation before Black & White just didn't seem to have much in the way of improvements or changes than the generation directly before it...but with Black, there was so many good new changes, improvements, additions, and a really good story that it seemed to bring back a "new-ness" the same way the Advanced generation seemed to. Black still has the same Pokemon-catching/battling system as before, but they've added unique battle modes like Triple Battles, and online battles against people from around the world.

One thing that was a huge improvement in my opinion was the way they revamped the TM/HM system. For all the "collector" types out there that like not just catching and keeping 1 of every Pokemon, but also want to always save a TM just in case you use it and then want/need it later - they've fixed that. Any TM you get, you can use over and over, just like an HM. Now the only difference is that HMs are still permanent, but TMs aren't, so you could (in theory) teach a move to a Pokemon just for a battle, then get rid of it when a new move comes in, and even give it back the same move later....Or teach several Pokemon the same move. Also, when it comes to HMs, it's great that for the most part, for most of the story you no longer have to always keep a couple extra Pokemon with you just to keep some who know a certain HM-move, or use up a slot on one of your main Pokemon's moves with an HM you may not like, because now (from what I've seen in the first 20 hours of the game so far) most of the HMs are used for kind of extra areas to get extra items, etc. - kind of like a side-quest or something.

So when it comes to going through the story, aside from the initial use of your first HM, you pretty much aren't forced to use any for at least a good chunk of the game unless you want to. Another thing is, is that the moves themselves have all been powered up quite a bit from what I can see, and the Types seem more balanced against each other now. (I know someone is probably going to disagree with me on that one, but it's "More" balanced, I'm not saying they weren't balanced before) This game feels like the player needs a bit more strategy to win, at least at the beginning, compared to the older games. Now back to the HM thing, because they aren't as important (dare I say, lol) the game seems much more progressive in a line, instead of going back and forth from places the older games in particular were known for. (Not saying you won't go back at all, but see for yourself :P) And on a final note, the fact that it moves forward like that seems to be because of an almost constant story-line, which I'm actually quite impressed about.

All in all, they stayed true to the core ideas, but aside from that - everything was an improvement! There's a lot more that they changed and added, and I'm still figuring out some of them! but these were my most favourite features. Hope someone finds this useful. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars fun game, better play than previous pokemon, Dec 6 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Nice game, simple, better visuals than previous Pokemon but could be prettier/smoother. Doesn't betray classic game play. I will continue to purchase games in the Pokemon series based on the game play from this game.

Game play is sexist and leans to conservative views. A game focused on meeting new people and understanding their points of view also focused on an ideology that the player's superiors/elders are right and everyone else is just a criminal or mistaken in their point of view. This is funny for an adult playing... but also kind of annoying.

Pokemon: Black Version - Nintendo DS Standard Edition