4.0 out of 5 stars Either version it's a great game
Published on Aug. 11 2011 by Tommy Skylar

1.0 out of 5 stars not happy
I wanted pokemon WHITE for my son for x mas and I get. Pokemon BLANCHE... How can ya screw that... Merry x mas Amazon!!!!!!!
Published 9 days ago by not happy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Either version it's a great game, Aug. 11 2011
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokemon: Black Version - Nintendo DS Standard Edition (Video Game)
Pokemon Black & White is essentially the same great game Pokemon has been since Red & Blue. You're still a young trainer, male or female who is just about to go on his or her very first Pokemon journey. You have to pick a Pokemon between Fire, Water and Grass elements and are given Pokeballs and a Pokedex and off you go to conquer the Unova region! Try to collect the 8 gym badges as is usual and your enemies this time are Team Plasma who wants to separate Pokemon from their trainers. The game basics have not changed much. Even the controls are the same (there is not much stylus use to be made unfortunately). Usually Pokemon versions of a game don't difference themselves much from another (like Red & Blue, Gold & Silver), there are some exclusive Pokemons in each version but they're basically the same. However, the Black & White editions changes that. Pokemon Black is focused on cities with experienced trainers while White has more of an emphasis on nature and open fields. It's really up to what YOU prefer: city or nature. Ultimately whatever version the player picks this is a great addition to the Pokemon video game franchise.

The Black & White generation of Pokemon games introduces seasons, a cool new addition. Some Pokemons even change appearance according to seasons! There are some slight 3D graphics that enhance the visuals this time around although it's far from anything major. The 3D perspective for bridges and buildings looks great. There are even animations during battles, Pokemons move and look better. There are also new battle modes, the triple and rotational battles (my favorite) which are cool additions but unfortunately there are not enough of them! The Pokemon in this version are not the best I have to say. I grew up with the original generation when there was only 150 "pocket monsters" and was big into Pokemon up until the Gold and Silver games which were also excellent. I had the cards, books, watched the show, and even had a poster on my wall. I can safely say that some of the Pokemons in Black & White are great but there are plenty that look awful and just don't work. It looks like they lacked great ideas (I mean a candle, seriously? That's just one example) at this point but the game remains excellent.

The difficulty seems to be easier for Black & White for some reason as other reviewers have noticed. I've played previous titles and looking back they all seem harder. That's not to say that Black & White don't have their challenges, each Pokemon game does but I played through this one a little quicker and I found the level of difficulty to be less harsh this time around. On the other hand this is a very fun and entertaining entry into the Pokemon gaming world and I could hardly stop myself from playing. It may not be the best Pokemon video game but it's a satisfying entry that should satisfy the old school fans and newcomers as well.

The game is not as revolutionary as Nintendo would have you believe. If you're unsure, read other reviews and watch videos and then decide. I know I don't regret my purchase. I really like Pokemon Black and what it offers even if it's not the perfect Pokemon title, it's a great game. Without a doubt it beats the Pearl edition that I also have. I think there is something for every Pokefans out there and I would recommend it. To me this is a 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Pokemon game in years., March 23 2011
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ever since Pokemon Gold and Silver, the Pokemon franchise has been going downhill. Black and White are finally the games to bring this series back to life. The game is fun, and the story line actually has some meaning, unlike any other Pokemon game before it. The only complaint I have about the game is some of the Pokemon designs, and names are just horrid, but as a long time Pokemon fan, that could be just nostalgia talking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new, but incomplete (for a reason)., April 14 2014
I picked up this game after a couple years of skipping Pokémon purchases, and to my surprise I was impressed by the change. The sprites in this version aren't stagnant and actually move about on the battle field. Sadly, they removed the mechanic from Heart Gold and Soul Silver that enabled your Pokémon to follow you. The story isn't anything special, but is an accepted change. After a good play-through of the game I felt as if something was missing, and surely enough a "part two" was released the year after with a continued story and a slightly different look once again. I would recommend picking this game up solely because it's another installment in the series, but if you don't care about the story then you may as well just pick up Pokémon White/Black 2 and save yourself an adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars in excellent condition. Arrived quicker than expected, Dec 5 2014
Game arrived as advertised, brand new and sealed, in excellent condition. Arrived quicker than expected. Fantastic! Now to catch 'em all!

1.0 out of 5 stars not happy, Dec 15 2014
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have someone to play with its golden., Aug. 6 2014
Kulololi - See all my reviews
Play with someone and its a great experience. My brother and I played these together, I already had white and black 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 7 2014
The game was great >_< love it

5.0 out of 5 stars pokemon black, Feb. 5 2012
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After receiving the new poké mon used, I tested it out before I gave it as a gift. I ended up playing it for five hours straight. pretty awesome game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great changes, and fun style, June 2 2011
I have been a fan of pokemon since its first anime debut, and bought games as the series went on. The style of the battle system, and type, and move combinations are extending to new heights! The new rotation, and triple battle system, even if you don't get to play them that much, could develope into the next battle system in the next games. The characters, especially the main character's friends, are different than most previous games as they don't rush off after they battle you, but carry out longer conversations, and can give you hints to events, or what to do next. The plot, I must say, is one of the best. N, a character who you happen to cross paths with many times, plans for you to battle him almost every time since you met because he doesn't understand why your pokemon can like you so much. SPOILER: Since he grew up with pokemon that are sad or angry, he doesn't understand that there are pokemon that are happy just being with people. And, when you obtain the legendary pokemon, he than plans for you to battle him to determine the fate of pokemon, just like the creation of Unova legend, where the two brothers battled with the legendary pokemon to determine which of the brothers is right.

I really reconmend this game or the Pokemon White version, as they are memorable games with so many great features like: Game Sync, where you can send your pokemon off to Pokemon Dream World, and when it comes back, the pokemon that you caught, and items found in the Entree. The Entree is where you can connect to another players Entree as long as you are in the correct area(s) in the game. You can use Pass Powers, and missions with Entree. Also, you can use pokemon from your previous games with Poke Transfer, but a word of warning, pokemon transferred cannot return to their original DS games. Besides these, there are more features that are fun to explore, and there are traditional features too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! New Pokemon game!, March 14 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Been playing since the very first pokemon game on the original gameboy. Played them all and love them all! This one is no different. I even spent the time restarting and trading in all starter pokemon into my brothers copy so we both could start with them all! Took an average of 50min/re-start, 5 times in total before I could actually start to play the game! Im at the second gym now and I love it.

The new pokemon are fun and different but still remind me of certain old school pokemon that you start with from the original game. Job well done with this game!

Can't wait till my guide shows up to see all the evolutions! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›