Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on July 5, 2013
If you have the DVD version I wouldn't recommend purchasing this box set as there is little benefit. Even with a high end 5.1 HD sound system and picture, I found the difference from the DVD to be less intensive compared to other such examples I have "re-purchased" as Blu-Ray while already having the DVD version (i.e. Serenity, JFK, Underworld)
on December 5, 2011
I've been waiting for this since the extended editions first came out on DVD. I held off on getting a DVD set or the Blu-Ray Theatrical editions because I knew this would be the definitive set to get. Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's not BAD per se; it just could have been better.

It's great that FOTR got a new transfer for this release (compared to the theatrical editions), but in getting that new transfer the infamous green tint issue popped up. I know some people say that it's supposed to be like this because Peter Jackson said that the new transfer looks really good and how he intended for it to look - but he said that at the time that the transfer went out for an HDTV broadcast. That statement was made well before this Blu-Ray set came out, so he couldn't have seen what they did to the Blu-Ray. If you compare screenshots with the DVD versions, you can see that the colours are pretty off in this tinted version, especially inside the Hobbit dwellings where it causes everything to appear unnaturally yellow and other colours to be dulled out. The colours on the DVD version are much more vibrant. The detail on the BR version is much better, sure, but the colours really mar what could have been a great release. The colour shift back to "normal" is noticeable when you go from the first movie to the second.

Secondly, one could say that it's really cool that this set includes so many discs of extras, but that actually shows the relative laziness of the studio, because the extras come on DVD discs and unnecessarily bulk up the set. Even if the extras are in SD, we're buying a Blu-Ray set so they could have fit those 9 DVDs of extras onto one or two Blu-Ray discs and saved some space and plastic. It's great to have so many extras, just not great to keep having to switch discs in and out when the technology is there not to have to do so.

Lastly, the Canadian version is an Alliance release and has forced trailers that the American version doesn't have.

All in all, I don't regret buying this set and it's be best available version of the LOTR trilogy, but it's not the definitive set that the fans could have had. It's unlikely the studios are going to do anything about it though, since plenty of people still bought it and lined the execs' pockets with their hard earned cash, so we'll just have to live with it for now.
on April 28, 2004
So much has been said about the Lord of the Ring movie trilogy and the books as well.
The series deserves all of the praises that it has gotten the few years it has hit box office. I can understand why it took so long to wait to make it a movie series. They just honestly never really had the right technology out until a few years ago.
There isn't really that much that I am disappointed about the series. Except for the fact that it is very long ( as are the books, ) and that they coped up some important information in the films.
I do think it would be wise to read the books ( as well as the Hobbit. ) To fully understand the story of the ring and Bilby Baggis for that matter.
Honestly though the picked out the best actors and actresses for the film. The music and sets are superb for the series.
The Lord of the Ring movie trilogy will more then likely be the first classic movie series of the 21st century. It is better then the movie TITANIC because you don't forget it. It's not like that movie at all because you wouldn't mind seeing it again even after seeing it in the theaters.
All though there are some mixed view points on how well the series was made compared to the books now. I really think they did an awesome job. I don't think that any one else could have made a better attempt bringing this classic to screen.
on March 19, 2004
These are the theatrical release films, not the superior extended versions which are preferrable due to their better coverage of the books and better overall flow.
Hopefully the extended version of the third will also be a big improvement, much needed as important parts of the story are absent in the theatrical relase of Return of the King. Unfortunately Peter Jackson added a Hollywood passionate love story to the film that was contrary to the more virtuous actions of the characters in the book. By twisting the story around, the film substituted feelings and passion for Tolkien's characters' charity, honor, and duty.
The extended "Fellowship of the Ring" is one of the best movies ever made. Hopefully the extended "Return of the King" will live up to that standard by flowing more smoothly and reflecting Tolkien a little better.
In short, save your money and time for the better trilogy, or if you haven't seen the first 2, buy the separate extended versions and wait for the third.
on March 31, 2004
.. you probably won't get the movie. It just can't and doesn't cover all the ground it needs to. Expect to get confused. And if you have read the book, you'll notice the errors they stick out like a sore thumb (for example, ANY scene with Liv Tyler's character... anyone seen Glorfindel?).
Either way the story is nothing to write home about, but the effects are amazing. If you're a Tolkien junkie, this is an essential. The battle scenes - especially the Minas Tirith battle - probably makes it worth it, even if some of sequences (especially with Legolas) do get a bit cheesy.
Also, there's no reason to get the box set if you already have the first two discs, there's no extra content in here.
on December 26, 2011
What I finally ended up with was great, but I had to order twice. The first time I ordered I was sent an open package in poor condition even though there was nothing with my order that suggested that what I was buying was used. I sent back the faulty package, which Amazon took back with no problems and refunded my money. I then re-ordered and got exactly what I ordered and in pristine condition.
on July 8, 2013
My kids loved the movie and saw it twice in the theatre and then begged for me to buy it, so I did. I have not watched it again. I can see why they liked it because they had no basis for comparison and are too young to read three big books with small print and no pictures, but I am sure when they do, they will realize my point. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
on June 5, 2004
Wonderful to sleep by. I have yet to last through the entire movie without falling asleep. Maybe some day I'll dedicate a good night sleep, exercise, proper diet and watch it while I'm on a treadmill or something. I couldn't even get through the books in High School. I guess it's not my genre, I tried.
on August 19, 2013
WHY ARE THERE ADDS? I have the DVD version so I am VERY disappointed by the adds included with this. I DO not want to watch 5 minutes of previews before a movie, especially when the DVDs don't have this. I would have given this a 5 star if it wasn't for the adds.
on June 26, 2011
I really need to know what are the language tracks for the movies... I am aware the bonus features are all in english, but I need the movies to have french language tracks... I dont understant why is is not a mandatory field in Amazon's movie description...