VIDEO:

The films were mastered using MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.35:1 in 50GB Blu ray discs. There are a total of 9 discs, including lots and lots of supplements.

MOVIES:

THE PREQUEL:

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (blu ray) film released 1999
Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of The Clones (blu ray) film released 2002...
Published on Sept. 16 2011 by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Note CARDBOARD Sleeve Packaging!
For this being the complete saga of Star Wars, I expected higher quality packaging. The paper sleeves leave me cringing at the thought of removing the discs to watch a movie. Hard cardboard surface against disc ... sad really. This review is NOT a reflection of the actual movies, but of the presentation of media source.
Published 8 months ago by Belle S

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars: The Complete Saga (blu ray)...by George (Lucas), the Force is finally with us all...., Sept. 16 2011
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Box Set - [9-Disc Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)

MOVIES:

Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (blu ray) film released 1980
Star Wars: Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (blu ray) film released 1983

THE PREQUEL TRILOGY:

VIDEO:

The Prequel Trilogy was all newly mastered directly from the original digital files. Therefore, edge-enhancement and color-timing issues that plagued the previous Episode I DVD presentation are no longer an issue.

In Episode I, Yoda is now all digital. But, the Phantom Menace proves to be the least satisfying of the bunch. Colour reproduction is absolutely resplendent and it's finally free from the heavy edge enhancement. However, while film grain and fine detailing are both present, the film also seems to have been subjected to some noise reduction resulting in a slighter softer look that the rest of the saga.

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith have no such problems. Shot entirely digitally, they both boast an astonishing clarity, vibrancy and detailing, like the colour reproduction and detail in the grassy field during Anakin and Padmé's picnic in Chapter of 21 (Episode II: Attack Of The Clones) or the fine textures in the Wookiee fur in Chapter 17 (Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith).

Episode III is on a whole different picture quality plane of existence. This is the outright stunner of the prequels, with a degree of clarity and color that is simply brilliant, and approaches Avatar in quality. The picture is much crisper and more detailed, CGI and live-action material alike. The filtering has been abandoned in favor of an exceptionally resolved picture. See the fabric of General Grievous' cape, the clean lines of the nascent Darth Vader's shiny new helmet, the wrinkles on Yoda's weathered face and Count Dooku's eyebrow hairs, individually visible.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (4/5)
Episode II: The Attack Of The Clones (4.5/5)
Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (5/5)

THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY:

VIDEO:

The 1080p/AVC-encoded transfers of the three "classic" Star Wars films are simply amazing. Grain is visible and better yet, the prints are absolutely pristine, without a single white speck of debris. There is increased clarity. Also, there is actually more of the image on-screen now. In the previous DVD edition, the producers magnified the picture slightly, thus cropping part of the picture on all sides. The reproduction of fine details was simply magnificent: like the first great close-up of R2 in all his worn-in glory in A New Hope, the level of detail inside the Millennium Falcon, the mottled facial texture of the Yoda puppet in The Empire Strikes Back, and the almost palpable ripples of Jabba's skin in Return Of The Jedi.

The changes made by George Lucas in the 1997 "Special Editions" and most of the additional changes from the 2004 re-release are here in the new Blu ray films, whether you like or approve of it or not. New additional changes include that In Return Of The Jedi, Wicket now blinks and has more expressive CGI eyes. For years, fans have complained that in the shot of the Wampa attacking Luke's Tauntaun, you could see part of the puppeteer's arm because the costume didn't extend quite far enough. Now it is corrected. As Darth Vader grabs the Emperor to throw him over the railing, he now lets out a goofy cry of "NOOOOO," a mirroring of the scene in Revenge of the Sith when he's first reborn as a dark Sith lord. Colour is more stable now and better balanced. Remember how the lightsabers' hues sometimes shifted? Now it is purely cold white.

Episode IV: A New Hope (5/5)
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (5/5)
Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (5/5)

AUDIO:

As in my recent review of the Lord Of The Rings Extended Editions (blu ray), the audio in this set does not need to be reviewed separately, because these lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 surround tracks are all perfect. Williams' cues are some of the most recognizable and hummable in the known universe, and they sound spectacular here, from the lilting and quiet heartswelling of Leia's theme to the all-out, brash militancy of Vader's unstoppable death march. All of the music is grand, filling every channel, with distinct placement of the instruments in the soundspace. Rich, dynamic, and full!

The Supervising Sound Editor on the Blu-rays for Skywalker Sound, Matthew Wood, did a simply fantastic job in remastering to lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1. For those wondering why 6.1 and not 7.1, Matt said in a recent interview that 6.1 was chosen because it builds nicely on the 5.1 EX mixing work that was done for the Prequel films.

What makes these new 6.1 tracks so wonderful is how precisely and expressively they're mixed. Sound design and score achieve an ideal balance, each forceful and clean without drowning the other out. And the action sequences, like lasers criss- crossing the soundfield, and spaceships swooshing in every direction. Massive explosions that send concentric arcs of debris spreading out from front to back. The thunderous LFE roar of an Imperial Star Destroyer drifting overhead. Even in the quieter moments there's ambience in the rears; the bleat of a tauntaun on Hoth, pouring rain before the Obi- Wan/Jango Fett fight in Clone Wars, dialogue is always easy to understand.

The prequels are awash with sonic thrills, be it TPM's Pod race (Ch 20-22), the asteroid chase and Jango Fett's seismic bombs in Attack of the Clones (Ch 28) or Revenge of the Sith's opening battle over Coruscant (Ch 3). Each offers a staggering amount of audio information (every engine, thruster, laser blast and explosion in unique to each vehicle/weapon) all moved around the soundfield with incredible precision.

Overall, Matthew Wood did a masterful job, and the resultant audio is in one word: perfect. (5/5)

In summary, Star Wars The Complete Saga (blu ray) is a must-own. Watching these beloved movies in such pristine video and audio form is simply very satisfying and I also felt very gratified. Another great news is that when I first preordered this box set on January 11, 2011, the price was $99.99. Recently, the price dropped to $79.99. Thank you, Amazon. May the Force be with you for more future discounts.

According to press release by 20th-Century Fox, Star Wars The Complete Saga is now "the bestselling catalog Blu-ray Disc of all time with worldwide sales totaling one million units, including 515,000 units sold in North America in its first week alone. This represents $84 million in worldwide consumer spending including $38 million in North America - unprecedented for a nine-disc Blu-ray collection at a premium price." Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set!, Jan. 31 2013
The product itself is excellent. The contents on some of them I'll leave you to debate amongst yourselves. *lol*

Only gripe I have quality wise would be some of the scenes in the original trilogy just don't hold up as well when upscaled to 1080p. A bit grainy, especially on Tatooine. And some of the matte lines in some of the space battles are even more obvious. That's part of the charm at this point though I suppose. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The circle is now complete, Sept. 19 2011
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Star Wars on blu-ray...it took a lot less time than Star Wars on DVD! And in special features and deleted scenes alone, it was well worth the wait. You can't do a box set like this without the bonus of unseen footage. The good news is, The Complete Saga is loaded with unseen special features and deleted scenes. In fact, the Tosche Station scene is worth the purchase alone. It's that great.

Will this be the last time we buy Star Wars? Heck, no! When 3D comes out, everybody will be having the same discussion all over again! Will Greedo still shoot first? Well, in my mind I have long accepted that Han shot first. Only in some weird Lucasverse is there a way that Greedo could shoot and miss at that range. At that range, I'm sorry, Han is toasted smuggler stew.

However about 5 years ago or so, Lucas did an official DVD reissue of the Original Trilogy, which I went out and bought on day 1. It was satisfying, it looked better than my old VHS copy, but it wasn't cleaned up nice like the special editions were. Which, in my opinion, is fine. It looks good and it's as close to your childhood memories as you'll ever get. After all, we didn't have 1080p TV tubes.

Accepting that a blu-ray version of the original Original Trilogy will never happen, I am very satisfied with my blu-ray of the Complete Saga.

The sound is awesome, very deep, and annoying my neighbor.

The video is perfect, I realize there are probably some colour changes here and there but I'm not about to do an A/B test and find them. I don't care, it's sharp and bright and clear and even Phantom Menace looks good!

Content wise, you know what? Hell I'm actually enjoying Phantom Menace. I'm lost in that moment in 1999 or whatever it was, when we sat there watching it the first time, trying to figure out who the new baddies were and checking out all the cool designs, which all stand up today. Except Jar Jar. Take him out and the movie's not half bad at all.

And on down the line, I'm not going to review the films. If you haven't seen them, there are lots of good reviews right here to read. I think you should just see them though.

Bonus featues: I wanted to watch the deleted scenes and there is good news and bad news. The bad news is, I hate how the deleted scenes are organized. You have to click the movie you want, click the planet you want, and then pick deleted scenes from the features. You can't just go to a menu called "Deleted Scenes". Anyways, these were mostly great although some action scenes were just animatics. And, I don't think these deleted scenes overlap at all with the scenes provided on previous DVD editions. For example there was no Greedo scene in the episode I deleted scenes. That goes for the special features in general...I don't think there are many that overlap at all with the ones you already have.

Highlights: As mentioned the Tosche Station scene which has all the soul of old Star Wars along with finally tying up the Biggs storyline. Also welcome was the attack on the droid control ship from Episode II -- previously only available to subsribers to Lucasfilm's Hyperspace service.

There's also an hour and a half (!) of spoofs from all over the place, including the Simpsons, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, SNL (including that hilarious Kevin-Spacey-as-Christopher-Walken-as-Han-Solo one), Colbert, That 70's Show, and many more. Most of these, I have never seen.

This is exactly what anybody who had reasonable expectations wanted.

5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Blu-ray Collection, Oct. 20 2011
If you love Star Wars... if you love hi-quality versions of old favorites... if you remember why you loved Star Wars in the first place... or if you were a kid who's first great movie experiences was this trilogy... buy this. Don't be deterred by those who would complain about exceptionally minor tweaks made by the man who envisioned this incredible sci-fi world. I doubt you would even notice the tiny changes. It's Star Wars and buy it because it's Star Wars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It: the Force is strong with this one., Feb. 24 2011
So we've all had a chance to view the set for a few days now and what can I say? It's what you expect and a little more. As an added bonus, Lucas gave you whiners something you've wanted for a long time: An official release of the Boba Fett cartoon from the Christmas special! Yes it's on here folks. Just go to 2nd Special Features disc: Chapter V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Imperial Chase - Boba Fett Costume: it's there.

So there you go, whiners! Lucas gave you something you've been whining about for years.

As for the movies:

The picture: Looks great. No complaints.
The sound: Very happy. It was great to hear these old sound effects in high-def. I felt like I was hearing stuff that wasn't there before. Which, may have been the actual case.

The changes: Meh. Some are OK. Some are not OK. I have I think 4 versions of the Original Trilogy so far:

1. The 1997 original theatrical Special Editions, with an old primitive CG Jabba. These are the ones you saw in the theater in 1997 and later on VHS, but never on DVD. I do have these on a nice bootleg DVD.
2. The 2004 DVD special editions. Had some cleanups, such as a new CG Jabba, and Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw as ghost-Anakin.
3. This new 2011 blu-ray edition.
4. The original, original Trilogy.

All I am missing was the (1995?) THX remasters, which was issued on VHS only in the early 90's. If you bought Star Wars on VHS any time between (let's say) 1994 and 1997, then you you owned the THX remasters. These had their own changes, most notably, some modified sound effects. Betcha didn't know that you owned an altered version of Star Wars eh?

So with all these editions already out there and relatively easy to get, additional changes are no big deal. Seriously, what did you expect? I liked the new Episode I Yoda just fine, I think he looks better than the Episode I puppet Yoda. I liked the blinking Nemoidians and Ewoks. Don't like the "Noo..." I don't know anybody who does like it. But it's a few seconds of film in an otherwise pretty good looking and sounding disc. One thing about the blinking, at first it's distracting. Then you realize it's not distracting because it looks bad, it's distracting because you've never seen it before.

But my point is this: I have the original editions on DVD. So do you, presumably. If you don't buy them. They are easy to find. Then, you can stop your whining. Who cares? They're out there. If you don't want the special editions (either THX, theatrical, original DVD, or these) then don't buy. You got what you want, stick to them, and enjoy!

The special features...OH MAN. I have read about some of these deleted scenes for decades. Decades! I remember listening to the Star Wars radio drama back in the 70's and listening to that scene of Luke watching the space battle from Tattooine. I am so happy to have them. The featurettes and docs...holy cow when am I going to have time to watch all this stuff? They really gave you bang for your buck this time! The value for the money is insane. You simply cannot go wrong if you are a Star Wars addict. They are nerd-tastic. I am so happy with this aspect of the set. Only the Alien box set has special features to match this (the packaging is identical to the Alien box set as well).

One more bonus: Got the 1983 Creatures feature with Billy Dee Williams on this set! Had this on VHS back in the day!

I have thought long and hard about how to rate this set, and my conclusion is that it is worth four stars for the following reasons:

1. Most of these movies are great. I would say 4 out of 6 of them are simply great films, meaning 4 stars or more.
2. The transfer is what I expected and hoped for.
3. I don't care about special editions anymore. To me, it's actually a bonus. Like when they remixed the old Who albums. I have the originals, so does everybody, so who cares?
4. The bonus features more than make up for the lack of the original versions that I already own elsewhere.
5. The pricing is more than fair.

I am going to do a mega Star Wars weekend and absorb as much as I can. Enjoy. This set is well worth it. And in case you don't have the original versions, stop whining. Buy these:

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)

If you're a diehard Lucas h8r, then you need to buy this!
The People Vs. George Lucas DVD

But let's face it, George's grip on the real world is loose at best. Why would you expect an old man to change? Maybe your grip is as loose as his?

May the Force be with you! (Sorry could not resist that)

5.0 out of 5 stars Génial, Feb. 15 2014
Rapport qualité prix super, car tous des films Blue Ray de première qualité pas très cher pour l'ensemble ! Bon achat

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars The Complete Saga (Blu-ray), Nov. 15 2011
Peter Hall (Regina, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
Just loved this collection. The sound was awesome! (So awesome that the neighbour was banging on the wall)LOL!! The picture was super sharp with all the detail you expect with Blu-ray. The only drawback was I had to update the firmware in my Blu-ray player. This is something I would have had to do some time in the future anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, Sept. 16 2014
The quality of the movies are excellent. The 5.1 sound and 1080p HD picture sounds and looks awesome. There is also tons of bonus content. Well worth the $90. I am not here to critique the content of the movies, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, Oct. 23 2011
The Star Wars blu-ray collection is far superior than the dvd collection. The original series (IV-VI) is a little grainy on some of the close ups in the darker scenes but that can be expected given the age of the source. The detail on the space scenes and ships is phenomenal. As an added bonus the entire collection fits into a small book which is easy to store and transport. The blu-rays take a little bit longer than most to boot up but utlimately who cares. Not sure why but there is back-to-back 20th century fox intros for each episode. Hope this review helps others. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work perfectly and was vary impressed with the set and ..., July 5 2014
Work perfectly and was vary impressed with the set and how the docs are displayed also the quality of the DVDs where crystal clear.

CDN$ 159.99 CDN$ 89.99