march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

on February 24, 2011
So we've all had a chance to view the set for a few days now and what can I say? It's what you expect and a little more. As an added bonus, Lucas gave you whiners something you've wanted for a long time: An official release of the Boba Fett cartoon from the Christmas special! Yes it's on here folks. Just go to 2nd Special Features disc: Chapter V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Imperial Chase - Boba Fett Costume: it's there.

So there you go, whiners! Lucas gave you something you've been whining about for years.

As for the movies:

The picture: Looks great. No complaints.
The sound: Very happy. It was great to hear these old sound effects in high-def. I felt like I was hearing stuff that wasn't there before. Which, may have been the actual case.

The changes: Meh. Some are OK. Some are not OK. I have I think 4 versions of the Original Trilogy so far:

1. The 1997 original theatrical Special Editions, with an old primitive CG Jabba. These are the ones you saw in the theater in 1997 and later on VHS, but never on DVD. I do have these on a nice bootleg DVD.
2. The 2004 DVD special editions. Had some cleanups, such as a new CG Jabba, and Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw as ghost-Anakin.
3. This new 2011 blu-ray edition.
4. The original, original Trilogy.

All I am missing was the (1995?) THX remasters, which was issued on VHS only in the early 90's. If you bought Star Wars on VHS any time between (let's say) 1994 and 1997, then you you owned the THX remasters. These had their own changes, most notably, some modified sound effects. Betcha didn't know that you owned an altered version of Star Wars eh?

So with all these editions already out there and relatively easy to get, additional changes are no big deal. Seriously, what did you expect? I liked the new Episode I Yoda just fine, I think he looks better than the Episode I puppet Yoda. I liked the blinking Nemoidians and Ewoks. Don't like the "Noo..." I don't know anybody who does like it. But it's a few seconds of film in an otherwise pretty good looking and sounding disc. One thing about the blinking, at first it's distracting. Then you realize it's not distracting because it looks bad, it's distracting because you've never seen it before.

But my point is this: I have the original editions on DVD. So do you, presumably. If you don't buy them. They are easy to find. Then, you can stop your whining. Who cares? They're out there. If you don't want the special editions (either THX, theatrical, original DVD, or these) then don't buy. You got what you want, stick to them, and enjoy!

The special features...OH MAN. I have read about some of these deleted scenes for decades. Decades! I remember listening to the Star Wars radio drama back in the 70's and listening to that scene of Luke watching the space battle from Tattooine. I am so happy to have them. The featurettes and docs...holy cow when am I going to have time to watch all this stuff? They really gave you bang for your buck this time! The value for the money is insane. You simply cannot go wrong if you are a Star Wars addict. They are nerd-tastic. I am so happy with this aspect of the set. Only the Alien box set has special features to match this (the packaging is identical to the Alien box set as well).

One more bonus: Got the 1983 Creatures feature with Billy Dee Williams on this set! Had this on VHS back in the day!

I have thought long and hard about how to rate this set, and my conclusion is that it is worth four stars for the following reasons:

1. Most of these movies are great. I would say 4 out of 6 of them are simply great films, meaning 4 stars or more.
2. The transfer is what I expected and hoped for.
3. I don't care about special editions anymore. To me, it's actually a bonus. Like when they remixed the old Who albums. I have the originals, so does everybody, so who cares?
4. The bonus features more than make up for the lack of the original versions that I already own elsewhere.
5. The pricing is more than fair.

I am going to do a mega Star Wars weekend and absorb as much as I can. Enjoy. This set is well worth it. And in case you don't have the original versions, stop whining. Buy these:

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)

If you're a diehard Lucas h8r, then you need to buy this!
The People Vs. George Lucas DVD

But let's face it, George's grip on the real world is loose at best. Why would you expect an old man to change? Maybe your grip is as loose as his?

May the Force be with you! (Sorry could not resist that)
0Comment|306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2016
Great to see all the movies of the first 2 trilogies together in this convenient blue-Ray package. Extras include movie trailers for all movies. Must be noted that the version of Episode IV (A New Hope) included here is the re-edited version as well as with Episode VI (Return of the Jedi).
on January 12, 2016
So we all know the movies and if you're reading this then you want them.

Blu-Ray is the best quality and at the moment cheaper than buying the online download versions, no brainer to get the Blu-Ray set.

The bonus discs are good and have a couple of hours of extra entertainment, really enjoyed the "spoofs".

I would have liked something more impressive box set wise. Compare to something like the Harry Potter box set which has an amazing "book" box, Blu-Ray versions, DVD versions and extras disc for each film, and a nice booklet, and digital download. Same RRP though much cheaper with sale prices. The Star Wars set pales in comparison, plastic box, flimsy disc holding flaps - oh well!
on April 12, 2016
Lucasfilm, hook up the original theatrical versions on blu ray already. What are you afraid of? Until then, I'm happy holding onto my cash and m watching Han shoot first on my old VHS tapes.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 25, 2016
While no doubt, evetnually there will be a set of all 9 movies, when this first came out this was the definitive set of the first 6 Star Wars films. The video quality is stellar and the special features provide lots of bonus content. Like many others I do wish that the unedited non-special editions of IV, V and VI were included here and some of the Blu-Ray tweaks really weren't needed.

All in all though, this is the disc collection of Star Wars many fans, including myself, were waiting for.
on October 21, 2015
What a good way to celebrate the upcoming rebirth of Star wars ! The saga is great. I dont carr what people say: I love each movies and what they represent no matter what or who tells me that the originals were better. Anyways, this should be a buy for any real science fiction or Star wars fan out there. My only complaint is the change they made in a new hope where Ben Kenobi use a scream to scare the sand people. I got used to the one in the special edition and the new one seems out of place.
on October 24, 2011
la franchise de star wars est tellement riche et la qualité des blue ray est vraiment super , la différance est vraiment apprécié sur la saga classique.
on February 15, 2014
Rapport qualité prix super, car tous des films Blue Ray de première qualité pas très cher pour l'ensemble ! Bon achat
on November 15, 2011
Just loved this collection. The sound was awesome! (So awesome that the neighbour was banging on the wall)LOL!! The picture was super sharp with all the detail you expect with Blu-ray. The only drawback was I had to update the firmware in my Blu-ray player. This is something I would have had to do some time in the future anyway.
on December 25, 2013
This is the best collection of Star Wars BluRay disks, includes several bonus disks with a plethora of documentaries and behind the scenes information from interviews to tech specs on all things Star Wars.
The seller was fast and efficient. The item was as promised and dealing with the seller was effortless and painless. Thanks for the great service! Highly recommended.