5.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Read this.
As of this writing, october 20th 2010, the 'Product Description' on Amazon.CA for this product is misleading because it
describes another version, so just ignore it.

This review is for the Star Wars Trilogy box set ( ASIN: B001EX9YJ0 published in Canada) with Vader's mask in the background,
X-wing/Ties on one side,
Millenium falcon/Ties on the...
Published on Oct. 20 2010 by Martin Veilleux

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Re-Hash From the Flim-Flam Man Named George Lucas
Published on Nov. 19 2008 by tvtv3

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Read this., Oct. 20 2010
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
describes another version, so just ignore it.

X-wing/Ties on one side,
Millenium falcon/Ties on the other side,
Luke's shadow and Vader's shadow fighting in the center.

The set contains 6 discs with 2 versions for each episode( IV, V and VI ).
I must point out that these are the widescreen limited editions( 19XX & 2004 ) that you can also buy individually.
( for ref, ASINs: B000FOPZUG B000FOPZV0 B000FOPZVK )

3 discs are the movies digitally remastered with added footage and special effects,
Widescreen enhanced for 16:9 television, 2.35:1 ratio.
Sound options: English dolby 5.1, English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Commentary in english by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher.

The 3 others are the original theatrical releases in all their unmodified glory.
Don't expect magical post filtering to remove the NORMAL graininess of the film,
which was shot with good old analog cameras.
Those are presented in 4:3 letterbox,
or in other terms 2.35:1 film with black bars above and under to give it a 4:3 ratio.
Again to be clear, you get the entire frame, as it was shown in theatres.
Sound options: English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Another nice surprise, the menu backgrounds for those 3 DVDs are
the original hand drawn movie posters. How sweet is that!
For example, the episode IV image has the Star Wars logo outlined in thick red, without the "a new hope".
I had never seen that poster, and it looks really good.
And let's not forget the art on the casing and discs.
Presentation is just great for this set.

The last set I owned was the THX remastered VHS tapes, so this one is the holy grail of sets.
Whether you're a nostalgic like me or you prefer the improved versions, everyone should be happy here.
Thank you Mr Lucas for these movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Re-Hash From the Flim-Flam Man Named George Lucas, Nov. 19 2008
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (Sorento, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
If you buy this DVD set you will get both the original Star Wars movies and their re-mastered versions. Unfortunately, you will not get the special edition versions (that version has probably been incinerated) that were Lucas' first attempt at editing his magnum opus. Also, the original versions of the film have not been cleared up in any way. I don't mind that so much because I actually like watching a movie that has a movie feel to it (audiences today have been ruined by expecting perfection and have absolutely no taste for atmosphere). The real problem with this set is that there is no new material here. It was all released just two years ago. This DVD set is just another attempt by Lucasfilm to cash in. They are one company that is excellent at getting people to buy the exact same thing of something they already have.

The only reason to buy this DVD set is if you don't own the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. Otherwise, keep your cash and stop giving it to George until he offers something worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Specifications update, Sept. 23 2011
peterhorner (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
In case you are deciding which to buy, the complete saga collection or these separate trilogies, this might inform your decision. The prequel trilogy and the original trilogy DO NOT CONTAIN THE BONUS FEATURES that come with the complete saga. I ordered both sets to see for myself before I saw the video below and learned the hard way. There are no bonus discs in the separate trilogies. The complete saga comes with three extra discs full of features. Be warned! That said, the movie discs are identical in the separate trilogies and the complete saga.

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars This ain't the Star Wars Trilogy., Nov. 28 2000
Timothy J. Marshall (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
I find it amazing that so few people(most of the reviewers here included) understand the depths to which George Lucas has fallen since making Star Wars back in 1977. Back then, he was an apsiring filmmaker with two great films- THX 1138 and American Graffiti- under his belt, an idea for a movie called Star Wars, and unlimited creative potential. I don't need to tell most of you anything about Star Wars- you probably know more than I do. But what I can tell you is that after Star Wars, Lucas gave up directing and just about abandoned the creative film process altogether. Of course, he returned to the director's chair with The Phantom Menace, but the resulting film made me wish he'd just stayed away - permanently. OK. Back to the point in hand. The three films in this box set are not- I repeat- NOT the Star Wars Trilogy most of us saw when we were kids and have grown to cherish and love. Lucas has succeeded in revising history by presenting the 1997 SPECIAL EDITION versions of the Star Wars Trilogy as THE- one-and-only, original- Star Wars Trilogy. This is not only wrong, but downright evil. It is not Lucas' place to change things- and we shouldn't let him. The National Film Registry certainly wouldn't agree with Lucas on this point- they have the ORIGINAL STAR WARS in their possession. I know some of you may like the SPECIAL EDITIONS better than the ORIGINALS, but don't ever forget that they aren't THE ORIGINALS. I certainly won't.

1.0 out of 5 stars too little, too late, Nov. 24 2000
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
In my opinion, Mr. Lucus has pushed alot of the best Star Wars fans past their breaking point with this insulting release. How much longer is he going to wait to release this on DVD widescreen? Most of us that shared the excitement of the original release in the days of our youth are in our mid 30's to late 40's now. If Mr. Lucus waits any longer, he may wait past the point to where we just won't give a crap anymore. If maximum sales profit is all Mr. Lucus is concerned about and the fans be damned, then I suggest Star Wars sales would have already reached their peak at this time, and it's all downhill from here. I'm in my mid 30's and to my surprise, most 18-25 year olds that I know have never seen the original trilogy and don't have much interest in watching them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oops! He Did It Again!, Sept. 26 2004
M. Smith - See all my reviews
I knew that this version would be the dreaded "Special Edition" Star Wars Trilogy, but I figured that I could tolerate the added scenes and such, so I bought this DVD set. After watching them, I feel so violated! It wasn't the original release, it wasn't even the special edition, IT IS A COMPLETELY BUTCHERED VERSION OF THE STAR WARS TRILOGY! The special edition was bad enough, but now on this DVD release, they have edited and changed even MORE scenes!
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was at the end of the Return of the Jedi movie, where Luke looks off and sees the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and his father. THEY REPLACED HIS FATHER WITH THE ACTOR THAT PLAYED ANAKIN IN EPISODE II. So now Luke looks off and sees two OLD Jedi's, and one young teeny-bopper! LUKE LOOKED OLDER THAN HIS DAD! Seeing that felt so wrong! All the new scenes felt wrong, and out of place! They all stick out like a sore thumb! I didn't even wait for the credits. I had to take the disk out! That was just too much for me.
Yes, this was George Lucas's creation, and he can do what ever he wants to it but this is just wrong. Star Wars was a classic! I am sure that I am not the only person who liked it the way it was.
Re-storing and Re-mastering a movie is one thing, but adding and changing scenes to this degree is a crime. I really think that Mr. Lucas is going through some sort of mid-life crisis. He must have woke up one morning thinking that anything old is bad!
A lot of people compare this DVD set to Michael Jackson's face, and I have to agree. We should be able to see and buy the versions of Star Wars we want. He should have released both versions, "original" and "special" editions. If he wants to change stuff, change episode 1,2, and 3. They're not classics, there not even well liked by fans.
The comercial advertised this DVD set like it was going to be the Star Wars that we all remembered. It's still Star Wars, but it's not the version that a lot of people wanted to preserve on DVD. I bought it and I am not happy with it. I am out a few dollars, but at least I can hope that my review will save a few people from having to see there favorite movie and childhood memories butchered like this. Buy at your own risk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Disappointment, Nov. 28 2008
J. Bird (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
I love Star Wars, and so do you, and I bought this dvd set so I could relive the original theatrical versions of Star Wars on dvd; this is the only reason I bought this box set. Of course, disc 1 of the newer versions are all presented in glorious looking wide-screen format and are given the awesome 5.1 surround sound treatment, and the originals are not. The originals are 4:3 and in 2.0 sound and do not appear nearly as good as the 'newer' remastered versions. This is a major detriment to the Star Wars franchise. I, like all other fans, want a Blu-Ray release of the 'original' movies and this is not too much to ask, considering how much we have spent on this franchise. All in all this set is only worth getting if you absolutely NEED to get the original movies, like me. Watch both versions and judge for yourself which you prefer. Hopefully Mr. Lucas will listen to his fans, for once, and release blu-ray versions of all his originals with remastered picture and sound. I really don't care if those come out as singles, just as long as they come out and are not alongside those newer remastered version shams; you know the ones with Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end, yeah it kind of kills my earliest memories of these movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars George Lucas has released the ultimate Star Wars trilogy!!, Nov. 2 2006
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
I've heard all the arguments for the original theatrical versions and you know what, I actually prefer the new special editions to the original theatrical versions. The quality of the movies is better and the movies are unedited with deleted scenes now included in the movies. Why all the arguments about the theatrical versions. The best Star Wars movie is A NEW HOPE because the movie is amazing. EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is the ultimate revenge movie and the shocking revelation near the end. It reads like a soap opera. A space opera that was rooted in Flash Gordon and other futuristic movies in the 70s. George Lucas is a genius and there is no denying that the Star Wars trilogy has stood the test of time. In Return of the Jedi, we see Vader's redemption. Darth Vader is redeemed because he loves his son and he wasn't about to see Luke die.

Well, Star Wars is amazing and I'm still waiting for the long-promised episodes 7,8,9. I wonder how long it take to see the aftermath of Return of the Jedi.

5.0 out of 5 stars STAR WARS TRILOGY, Oct. 26 2002
Kristy M. Ross "Kristy" (CT, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
George Lucas' first installment in the immensely popular STAR WARS franchise is generally regarded as the greatest movie ever made. Why? Well, what's not to like? From the opening shot of the Blockade Runner accompanied by that great theme tune by John Williams, you know you're in the unique world of the STAR WARS universe. Before George's prequels THE PHANTOM MENACE and ATTACK OF THE CLONES, A NEW HOPE was known only as STAR WARS. Audiences had never seen anything so original and amazing. Now, the series has entered into the fanboy culture all over the world. In comparison, Episode 4 seems somewhat tame compared to AOTC in terms of action, but it's still an astounding adventure filled with great characters and wonderful escapsim.
From Hero Luke Skywalker's symbolic journey from his home Tatooine to the moment of victory at the finale, we are greeted with a myriad of fantastic characters, especially Han Solo, played by a pre-Indy Harrison Ford and his buddy Chewbacca. And the ultimate incarnation of evil, Darth Vader. And that, more than anything, is what made TPM so hollow. While the action was good, the lack of good characters is disappointing. But AOTC has regained much of the sense of adventure that this film started off.
Lucas' grand vision illuminates the entire film, with inventive creatures and events. Several scenes that are my favorites are Obi Wan's conversation to Luke about the Clone Wars and Vader, Solo's disposal of Greedo, Obi Wan and Vader's last confrontation and the battle of Yavin. One of my all-time favorite films, STAR WARS is THE great adventure.
Directed by Irvin Kershner, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK moved away from the high-sprited antics of the first film and took a step towards the dark side. The Empire is preparing to seek revenge on the Rebel Alliance, C3P0 gets blasted to bits and Luke Skywalker finds out that Darth Vader is his dad! Even John William's score is much darker in tone than his previous efforts. But the film is an excellent adventure that many fans consider to be superior to the original. Mark Hamill returns as Luke, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia and Harrison Ford as the sardonic Han Solo. And we are introduced to the wise Yoda, who trains Luke about the ways of a Jedi. The action ante is upped considerably, with fantastic chases through asteroid feilds, battles between snowspeeders and the AT-ATs and Luke's rescue mission. And the Bespin Duel, where the confrontational battle between Vader and Luke ends with one of the most shocking revelations in movie history (Even if it's somewhat un-surprising for future fans who watch all the completed films in sequence).
RETURN OF THE JEDI starts off with Luke and Leia rescuing Han Solo from the crime lord Jabba the Hutt. While the film is less exciting than it's counterparts, it does have some good action, including the rescue on the desert skiff, the speeder chase through the forest of Endor, the dark final battle between Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine and Luke and the destruction of the second Death Star. The lightsaber fights are some of the best in the Star Wars cannon and Princess Leia is hotter than ever! John William's score is even more exciting than ESB.
If I were to place the Star Wars films in order from best to not-as-good, they would go THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, A NEW HOPE, ATTACK OF THE CLONES, RETURN OF THE JEDI and THE PHANTOM MENACE.
This presentation is very impressive, with added scenes and improved SFX. We see more of Jabba the Hutt, there are some great additions including the amazing Bespin City and the added celebration scenes at the end of JEDI. A classic trilogy, and a must-buy when it gets on DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars is always great but not another trilogy, Nov. 9 2000
Justin L. Bronn (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
Some might wonder why I have given Star Wars one star, but there is a great reason behind it. I'm only giving it one star based on what Lucas added to this presentation. If you already own the trilogy don't bother about rushing out for this one. The added section for Star Wars Episode 2 is not worth the money. All you get is a brief summary of information we already know about given to you by Lucas himself. A brief interview with the actors playing Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, as well as a talk with Anthony Daniels who says how great it is to be playing C-3P0 after all these years. The only fresh insight provided is telling us that C-3P0 will appear in a middle state where he has some of the look he will have in episode 4 but made up of spare outer parts. If you are one of the few people that don't own the trilogy yet, by all means purchase it, is a wonderful set of movies that you wont have a chance to purchase for another 3-4 years. But if do, and you just want a look at some episode footage rent don't spend the money again.