5.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Read this.
As of this writing, october 20th 2010, the 'Product Description' on Amazon.CA for this product is misleading because it
describes another version, so just ignore it.

This review is for the Star Wars Trilogy box set ( ASIN: B001EX9YJ0 published in Canada) with Vader's mask in the background,
X-wing/Ties on one side,
Millenium falcon/Ties on the...
Published on Oct. 20 2010 by Martin Veilleux

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Re-Hash From the Flim-Flam Man Named George Lucas
Published on Nov. 19 2008 by tvtv3

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Read this., Oct. 20 2010
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
describes another version, so just ignore it.

X-wing/Ties on one side,
Millenium falcon/Ties on the other side,
Luke's shadow and Vader's shadow fighting in the center.

The set contains 6 discs with 2 versions for each episode( IV, V and VI ).
I must point out that these are the widescreen limited editions( 19XX & 2004 ) that you can also buy individually.
( for ref, ASINs: B000FOPZUG B000FOPZV0 B000FOPZVK )

3 discs are the movies digitally remastered with added footage and special effects,
Widescreen enhanced for 16:9 television, 2.35:1 ratio.
Sound options: English dolby 5.1, English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Commentary in english by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher.

The 3 others are the original theatrical releases in all their unmodified glory.
Don't expect magical post filtering to remove the NORMAL graininess of the film,
which was shot with good old analog cameras.
Those are presented in 4:3 letterbox,
or in other terms 2.35:1 film with black bars above and under to give it a 4:3 ratio.
Again to be clear, you get the entire frame, as it was shown in theatres.
Sound options: English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Another nice surprise, the menu backgrounds for those 3 DVDs are
the original hand drawn movie posters. How sweet is that!
For example, the episode IV image has the Star Wars logo outlined in thick red, without the "a new hope".
I had never seen that poster, and it looks really good.
And let's not forget the art on the casing and discs.
Presentation is just great for this set.

The last set I owned was the THX remastered VHS tapes, so this one is the holy grail of sets.
Whether you're a nostalgic like me or you prefer the improved versions, everyone should be happy here.
Thank you Mr Lucas for these movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Re-Hash From the Flim-Flam Man Named George Lucas, Nov. 19 2008
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (Sorento, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
If you buy this DVD set you will get both the original Star Wars movies and their re-mastered versions. Unfortunately, you will not get the special edition versions (that version has probably been incinerated) that were Lucas' first attempt at editing his magnum opus. Also, the original versions of the film have not been cleared up in any way. I don't mind that so much because I actually like watching a movie that has a movie feel to it (audiences today have been ruined by expecting perfection and have absolutely no taste for atmosphere). The real problem with this set is that there is no new material here. It was all released just two years ago. This DVD set is just another attempt by Lucasfilm to cash in. They are one company that is excellent at getting people to buy the exact same thing of something they already have.

The only reason to buy this DVD set is if you don't own the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. Otherwise, keep your cash and stop giving it to George until he offers something worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Specifications update, Sept. 23 2011
peterhorner (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
In case you are deciding which to buy, the complete saga collection or these separate trilogies, this might inform your decision. The prequel trilogy and the original trilogy DO NOT CONTAIN THE BONUS FEATURES that come with the complete saga. I ordered both sets to see for myself before I saw the video below and learned the hard way. There are no bonus discs in the separate trilogies. The complete saga comes with three extra discs full of features. Be warned! That said, the movie discs are identical in the separate trilogies and the complete saga.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy (for those who don't already own the DVDs), Jan. 5 2009
A. Glisinski (ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
To a point, I'd agree with the other reviews, but they seem too biased to the whole issue around "why re-release the series, again?". Well, for folks like myself, this DVD set satisfied my need to own and see the original Star Wars trilogy. At 5 bucks a disc, or 10 for each film, it's a decent price for both versions of the films.

True, the originals could do with a little more "polish" than just the 4:3 letterbox format and 2.0 stereo sound. I'm not a die-hard fan, so I can say I enjoy both versions of these films.

It doesn't have many (or at all) special features. That's okay, as there are plenty books and supplemental materials out there that will satisfy your behind-the-scenes look at the Star Wars universe.

It's a great buy for those of us who don't already own the trilogy, and due to the overwhelming complaints about the re-edited versions, this seems to be the safest bet for now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can we have the Originals PLEASE!, May 27 2004
D. J. Klett (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
Great movies... but GL screwed with the classics.
It's like reworking Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur
Shame on him

1.0 out of 5 stars This ain't the Star Wars Trilogy., Nov. 28 2000
Timothy J. Marshall (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (VHS Tape)
I find it amazing that so few people(most of the reviewers here included) understand the depths to which George Lucas has fallen since making Star Wars back in 1977. Back then, he was an apsiring filmmaker with two great films- THX 1138 and American Graffiti- under his belt, an idea for a movie called Star Wars, and unlimited creative potential. I don't need to tell most of you anything about Star Wars- you probably know more than I do. But what I can tell you is that after Star Wars, Lucas gave up directing and just about abandoned the creative film process altogether. Of course, he returned to the director's chair with The Phantom Menace, but the resulting film made me wish he'd just stayed away - permanently. OK. Back to the point in hand. The three films in this box set are not- I repeat- NOT the Star Wars Trilogy most of us saw when we were kids and have grown to cherish and love. Lucas has succeeded in revising history by presenting the 1997 SPECIAL EDITION versions of the Star Wars Trilogy as THE- one-and-only, original- Star Wars Trilogy. This is not only wrong, but downright evil. It is not Lucas' place to change things- and we shouldn't let him. The National Film Registry certainly wouldn't agree with Lucas on this point- they have the ORIGINAL STAR WARS in their possession. I know some of you may like the SPECIAL EDITIONS better than the ORIGINALS, but don't ever forget that they aren't THE ORIGINALS. I certainly won't.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Disappointment, Nov. 28 2008
J. Bird (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (DVD)
I love Star Wars, and so do you, and I bought this dvd set so I could relive the original theatrical versions of Star Wars on dvd; this is the only reason I bought this box set. Of course, disc 1 of the newer versions are all presented in glorious looking wide-screen format and are given the awesome 5.1 surround sound treatment, and the originals are not. The originals are 4:3 and in 2.0 sound and do not appear nearly as good as the 'newer' remastered versions. This is a major detriment to the Star Wars franchise. I, like all other fans, want a Blu-Ray release of the 'original' movies and this is not too much to ask, considering how much we have spent on this franchise. All in all this set is only worth getting if you absolutely NEED to get the original movies, like me. Watch both versions and judge for yourself which you prefer. Hopefully Mr. Lucas will listen to his fans, for once, and release blu-ray versions of all his originals with remastered picture and sound. I really don't care if those come out as singles, just as long as they come out and are not alongside those newer remastered version shams; you know the ones with Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end, yeah it kind of kills my earliest memories of these movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oops! He Did It Again!, Sept. 26 2004
M. Smith - See all my reviews
I knew that this version would be the dreaded "Special Edition" Star Wars Trilogy, but I figured that I could tolerate the added scenes and such, so I bought this DVD set. After watching them, I feel so violated! It wasn't the original release, it wasn't even the special edition, IT IS A COMPLETELY BUTCHERED VERSION OF THE STAR WARS TRILOGY! The special edition was bad enough, but now on this DVD release, they have edited and changed even MORE scenes!
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was at the end of the Return of the Jedi movie, where Luke looks off and sees the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and his father. THEY REPLACED HIS FATHER WITH THE ACTOR THAT PLAYED ANAKIN IN EPISODE II. So now Luke looks off and sees two OLD Jedi's, and one young teeny-bopper! LUKE LOOKED OLDER THAN HIS DAD! Seeing that felt so wrong! All the new scenes felt wrong, and out of place! They all stick out like a sore thumb! I didn't even wait for the credits. I had to take the disk out! That was just too much for me.
Yes, this was George Lucas's creation, and he can do what ever he wants to it but this is just wrong. Star Wars was a classic! I am sure that I am not the only person who liked it the way it was.
Re-storing and Re-mastering a movie is one thing, but adding and changing scenes to this degree is a crime. I really think that Mr. Lucas is going through some sort of mid-life crisis. He must have woke up one morning thinking that anything old is bad!
A lot of people compare this DVD set to Michael Jackson's face, and I have to agree. We should be able to see and buy the versions of Star Wars we want. He should have released both versions, "original" and "special" editions. If he wants to change stuff, change episode 1,2, and 3. They're not classics, there not even well liked by fans.
The comercial advertised this DVD set like it was going to be the Star Wars that we all remembered. It's still Star Wars, but it's not the version that a lot of people wanted to preserve on DVD. I bought it and I am not happy with it. I am out a few dollars, but at least I can hope that my review will save a few people from having to see there favorite movie and childhood memories butchered like this. Buy at your own risk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lucas is wrong, these Special Editions are a cultural crime, May 8 2004
With the special edition, you'll never see a more wacky hive of scum and villany. I've never seen a more clear example of falling in love with one's own footage. With Lucas' refusal to release the original remastered theatre print editions, he is betraying the trust of an entire generation of people whose lives were shaped by these films. The special edition changes them substantially. There was a pleasant balance of slapstick in the original, and now "A New Hope" is uncomfortably brought down to the level of "Return of the Jedi" with additional cutsey animal/droid/human/hut antics. It's not the money, we all know it would make bank. It's 100% Lucas' ego. No, I'm sorry, I believe Lucas has no right to tamper with or hinder the release of this work; it has become far, far bigger than the man himself. I look forward to independently produced (and of *necessity* pirated) DVD's of the cleaned up originals. And if Lucas ever manages to escape the fog of megalomania, I'd be happy to pay him almost anything to never have to see Han step on Jabba's tail again. Please please please! It is especially sad to note that, with the capacity of DVD, both editions of each film would have fit on the same DVD but for the selfish, willful petulance of one man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best picture & sound for this beloved trilogy, Oct. 25 2011
J. Winter (Mississauga, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent Blu-Ray set of the Star Wars original trilogy. The picture is flawless and sound is superb. Yes, George Lucas just can't help himself, and has made a couple of tweaks to the series yet again. Nevertheless, the changes are minor, and everything else about the set is top notch.