countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 415 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 23, 2016
I bought this for someone who had never seen a star wars movie. (she's 54) It was great to be able to watch the whole trilogy all at once. While we didn't watch all the extra stuff... it did come with a lot of extra stuff. There were two extra CD's with all kinds of out takes, behind the scenes and making of stuff to watch also. a good package with hours of entertainment and the complete star wars story.
on April 28, 2016
I am a big Star Wars fan, and this is not my first viewing of the Star Wars Trilogy. So, for anyone out there who has never experienced Star Wars, you will probably figure it out - that because I'm purchasing the same movies for the second time, that I really recommend them.
on October 20, 2010
As of this writing, october 20th 2010, the 'Product Description' on Amazon.CA for this product is misleading because it
describes another version, so just ignore it.

This review is for the Star Wars Trilogy box set ( ASIN: B001EX9YJ0 published in Canada) with Vader's mask in the background,
X-wing/Ties on one side,
Millenium falcon/Ties on the other side,
Luke's shadow and Vader's shadow fighting in the center.

The set contains 6 discs with 2 versions for each episode( IV, V and VI ).
I must point out that these are the widescreen limited editions( 19XX & 2004 ) that you can also buy individually.
( for ref, ASINs: B000FOPZUG B000FOPZV0 B000FOPZVK )

3 discs are the movies digitally remastered with added footage and special effects,
Widescreen enhanced for 16:9 television, 2.35:1 ratio.
Sound options: English dolby 5.1, English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Commentary in english by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher.

The 3 others are the original theatrical releases in all their unmodified glory.
Don't expect magical post filtering to remove the NORMAL graininess of the film,
which was shot with good old analog cameras.
Those are presented in 4:3 letterbox,
or in other terms 2.35:1 film with black bars above and under to give it a 4:3 ratio.
Again to be clear, you get the entire frame, as it was shown in theatres.
Sound options: English dolby 2.0, French dolby 2.0, Spanish dolby 2.0
Subtitles options: English
Another nice surprise, the menu backgrounds for those 3 DVDs are
the original hand drawn movie posters. How sweet is that!
For example, the episode IV image has the Star Wars logo outlined in thick red, without the "a new hope".
I had never seen that poster, and it looks really good.
And let's not forget the art on the casing and discs.
Presentation is just great for this set.

The last set I owned was the THX remastered VHS tapes, so this one is the holy grail of sets.
Whether you're a nostalgic like me or you prefer the improved versions, everyone should be happy here.
Thank you Mr Lucas for these movies.
on January 16, 2015
Great picture. Great Sound. Some extra scenes here and there, I'm not obsessed enough to notice them. Should have won several Oscars starting in 1977 as ground breaking and brilliantly imaginative.
on January 12, 2016
Fast Shipping/A+ Seller/Present For The Old Lady.She Loves Star Wars And Darth Vader And Ewoks And Jabba The Hut And Yoda And Chewbacca And R2D2 And C3PO And Well You See What I'm Getting At.Thanks :) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
on September 23, 2011
In case you are deciding which to buy, the complete saga collection or these separate trilogies, this might inform your decision. The prequel trilogy and the original trilogy DO NOT CONTAIN THE BONUS FEATURES that come with the complete saga. I ordered both sets to see for myself before I saw the video below and learned the hard way. There are no bonus discs in the separate trilogies. The complete saga comes with three extra discs full of features. Be warned! That said, the movie discs are identical in the separate trilogies and the complete saga.

[...]
on November 25, 2007
To all those out there complaining of this re-release, I'm am glad. I have the original pre-special editions.

I never purchased the special editions and never got to see them in the theatres when they came out in 1997 (had a new-born and that took up all my time).

So, when I eventually went out to purchase these movies (just before Episode I came out), I was disappointed to find that they were no longer in stock and that they stopped all production of them.

So, this re-release has allowed me to purchase what I never got to see before and own them.

I have ENJOYED the added/touched-up scenes. Case in point - the Cloud City scenes. It seems SO much more open and spacious now, compared to the crampt feeling you envision in the original. As for the Jabba the Hut scene in Episode IV, it allows you to understand more about WHY Han had a bounty on his head.

I read the original book back in 1977, so I knew who Jabba was, even though I wondered why he wasn't in the movie.

Heck, he was even in the comic book edition of the movie, so I was REALLY confused as to why he wasn't there. So, the scene helps build up to Episode VI when we finally come back to Jabba.

The only gripe I have is, how did he get so big so quickly? I mean, how much time has really elapsed between Episode IV and VI? Jabba must have been stuffing his face since Han left him hanging dry in Episode IV.

In any case, this release is a God-send for me to finally own all four episodes.

The wide-screen edition is what I purchased and like the other reviewers stated, it allows you to see the scene as it was meant to be, since movies are formatted for the theatres, not your TV screen.

In fact, I bought another copy of Episode I. This time, I purchased the Widescreen edition.

Thank you George Lucas for re-releasing this timeless classic so that I can finally own it.
on September 6, 2015
It is a time tested series that will be enjoyed for years but what was even better was the attention to detail the seller made with my order. Getting a deal is great but getting great customer service always makes it better!
on January 5, 2009
To a point, I'd agree with the other reviews, but they seem too biased to the whole issue around "why re-release the series, again?". Well, for folks like myself, this DVD set satisfied my need to own and see the original Star Wars trilogy. At 5 bucks a disc, or 10 for each film, it's a decent price for both versions of the films.

True, the originals could do with a little more "polish" than just the 4:3 letterbox format and 2.0 stereo sound. I'm not a die-hard fan, so I can say I enjoy both versions of these films.

It doesn't have many (or at all) special features. That's okay, as there are plenty books and supplemental materials out there that will satisfy your behind-the-scenes look at the Star Wars universe.

It's a great buy for those of us who don't already own the trilogy, and due to the overwhelming complaints about the re-edited versions, this seems to be the safest bet for now.
on October 25, 2011
This is an excellent Blu-Ray set of the Star Wars original trilogy. The picture is flawless and sound is superb. Yes, George Lucas just can't help himself, and has made a couple of tweaks to the series yet again. Nevertheless, the changes are minor, and everything else about the set is top notch.