march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Showing 1-10 of 163 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 21, 2010
This version of the Star Wars dvd's is George Lucas' attempt to re-do his movies. This box set of 3 is the rehashed version, complete with Hayden Christensen as the ghost of Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker). I was horribly disappointed by this, as I was hoping to get the original series, without Mr. Christensen. I can't speak for the other dvd sets here, but if you want the original trilogy, sans extra digital additions (that look like crap by the way) do not get the: Star Wars Trilogy (Full Screen Lmtd Edition -3 disc set) - 2005.
It is the set with Luke Skywalker standing on the front, holding a lightsabre over his head, with Princess Leia kneeling next to his side. They are both dressed in white. C3PO and R2D2 are in the background.
on November 28, 2008
I love Star Wars, and so do you, and I bought this dvd set so I could relive the original theatrical versions of Star Wars on dvd; this is the only reason I bought this box set. Of course, disc 1 of the newer versions are all presented in glorious looking wide-screen format and are given the awesome 5.1 surround sound treatment, and the originals are not. The originals are 4:3 and in 2.0 sound and do not appear nearly as good as the 'newer' remastered versions. This is a major detriment to the Star Wars franchise. I, like all other fans, want a Blu-Ray release of the 'original' movies and this is not too much to ask, considering how much we have spent on this franchise. All in all this set is only worth getting if you absolutely NEED to get the original movies, like me. Watch both versions and judge for yourself which you prefer. Hopefully Mr. Lucas will listen to his fans, for once, and release blu-ray versions of all his originals with remastered picture and sound. I really don't care if those come out as singles, just as long as they come out and are not alongside those newer remastered version shams; you know the ones with Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end, yeah it kind of kills my earliest memories of these movies.
on May 8, 2004
With the special edition, you'll never see a more wacky hive of scum and villany. I've never seen a more clear example of falling in love with one's own footage. With Lucas' refusal to release the original remastered theatre print editions, he is betraying the trust of an entire generation of people whose lives were shaped by these films. The special edition changes them substantially. There was a pleasant balance of slapstick in the original, and now "A New Hope" is uncomfortably brought down to the level of "Return of the Jedi" with additional cutsey animal/droid/human/hut antics. It's not the money, we all know it would make bank. It's 100% Lucas' ego. No, I'm sorry, I believe Lucas has no right to tamper with or hinder the release of this work; it has become far, far bigger than the man himself. I look forward to independently produced (and of *necessity* pirated) DVD's of the cleaned up originals. And if Lucas ever manages to escape the fog of megalomania, I'd be happy to pay him almost anything to never have to see Han step on Jabba's tail again. Please please please! It is especially sad to note that, with the capacity of DVD, both editions of each film would have fit on the same DVD but for the selfish, willful petulance of one man.
on April 1, 2010
Ok, the movie industry is full of the old double dipping standard, the art of coming up with another way to get a fans money any way they can to make their creation seem so much better than it was. Ok, let's be honest, Star Wars was more than great for it's time, but that was back in the late 70's to early 80's! Now that the 90's have gone and went, and the first decade of the 2000's are nearing the end, it's time to move on to the Hi-Definition Blu-Ray version with all the trimmings, Original Theatrical Version, Special Edition, and the Director's Vision of all the films, with a bonus disc with all the docs, background info, and music, etc. Time for the great George Lucas to give back to the fans what we gave his original trilogy. I think most people would agree with me on that!
on May 27, 2004
Great movies... but GL screwed with the classics.
It's like reworking Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur
Shame on him
on August 15, 2000
I have stopped counting the number of re-releases, re-re-releases and re-re-re-releases of the trilogy - and I can't help the feeling that this is all about ripping me (the customer) off ... or should George Lucas be in some kind of financial trouble, and that's why he keeps throwing slightly altered editions on the market? I am already looking forward to the June 2001 re-release with an exclusive 3-minute interview on the planned schedule for filming Episode III ...
I have always considered myself a big Star Wars fan (excluding ridiculous Episode I), but somehow I am getting fed up with this ... Thanks, George!
on November 9, 2000
Some might wonder why I have given Star Wars one star, but there is a great reason behind it. I'm only giving it one star based on what Lucas added to this presentation. If you already own the trilogy don't bother about rushing out for this one. The added section for Star Wars Episode 2 is not worth the money. All you get is a brief summary of information we already know about given to you by Lucas himself. A brief interview with the actors playing Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, as well as a talk with Anthony Daniels who says how great it is to be playing C-3P0 after all these years. The only fresh insight provided is telling us that C-3P0 will appear in a middle state where he has some of the look he will have in episode 4 but made up of spare outer parts. If you are one of the few people that don't own the trilogy yet, by all means purchase it, is a wonderful set of movies that you wont have a chance to purchase for another 3-4 years. But if do, and you just want a look at some episode footage rent don't spend the money again.
on June 9, 2005
If the mighty Sith Lord Lucash would openly and honestly state that the DVD box set version is in fact different from both the original (theatrical) and even the special edition (also theatrical) versions then at least he would be spared all the venom and vitriol that has been and is being thrown at him. Indeed, the issue is not whether Darth Lucash may or may not (yet again) make changes to Episodes 4, 5, and 6. Yes, they are his creations and his properties; he may do with them as he wishes. Yet he does have at least an ethical obligation to disclose the fact that they are different from the previously released versions and not pass them off as the same - as shown by the line "Own the Original". After all, the disclaimer is the standard industry practice adopted by everyone else, including his colleague Steven Spielberg, who clearly states that his "E.T.:Special Edition" is different from the original "E.T." and unlike Lucash makes both "E.T." versions available on DVD.
on July 17, 2004
That's another example for someone wanting desperately to make changes to something that was perfectly OK. And yes, it was his nose and he had every right to do the changes. So he did it, and now have a look at the result: no improvement at all. Let's see how 'Star Wars: Episode IV - VI... Version 72.5 of the Second Major Revision' will look like... :D
To be honest, at first I was very upset about Lucas butchering the movies. But not any more, it just shows me, how childish Lucas and this whole Star Wars franchise has become, and that it's time for me to move on to something more substantial than Oscar winning Sci-Fi flics - that 25 years later turn out to be just 'rough cuts' and 'work in progress'. :D Great one, George!!!
And no hard feelings too about 'raping my childhood'. Lucas can't rape MY childhood, the good memories are still there - he can only rape cinema history by destroying the originals. Too sad, that Star Wars (together with Metropolis) will share the fate of becoming a Sci-Fi-Masterpiece, that's lost forever in it's original form. But I guess life wil go on, I'll get over it...
on July 12, 2004
If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Hasn't George Lucas ever come across this phrase?
The bottom line is that the additions he has made to these classics simply distract and are an unforgiveable annoyance. That he feels the millions of people who took joy from the original films should only see them covered with digital stucco, well, it hurts. It hurts me.
To take a perfect moment within a perfect film: when Luke Skywalker has been told a devastating revelation, he makes a choice and with great dignity steps off into a void and plunges to what he must think is his almost certain death. In the original film, he spirals down, silent. Amazing. Jump ahead to 1997 - Georgie feels like Luke should be screaming like a little girl here. "EEEEEEeeeeeeeee!" Stunningly bad.
I have a laserdisc player for one reason: My original Star Wars films.
This orginal trilogy, warts and all, will be remembered through the ages, remembered for magic wrought with rubber puppets and ships made from model kits. That other trilogy? "Mesa don' tink so."