5.0 out of 5 stars Add this one to your collection.
I own almost every recording of Les Miserables as well as the 10th Anniversary DVD and now I have the 25th. I absolutely loved the 25th. It is a thrill to compare all these recordings and each one brings something special to the table. The camera work in this version was excellent. This is my first time hearing Alfie Boe sing and he handles the role of Jean Valjean really...
Published on March 1 2011 by Ed G

2.0 out of 5 stars missing documentary
I mostly bought this to get that fantastic, hour-long programme about the making of Les Miserables. I've seen the show on stage and on film (with the interesting differences)....and really wanted that documentary.
It's not there.
What is there is little more than a lot of flying banner-headlines about the wonderfulness of the show, along with flashes from the...
Published 22 months ago by Roger M. Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some absolutely unforgettable performances..., Aug. 1 2015
Office Girl (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I am a huge fan of the musical and I was lucky enough to see Alfie Boe perform the role of Jean Val Jean in London in 2011 which made me pick this up. I can't say how amazing the cast is...except for Marius. Alfie Boe (Val Jean), Norm Lewis (Javert), Matt Lucas (Thenardier), and Samantha Barks (Eponine) were especially fantastic. I listened to it without checking who was performing and I have to say that I found Marius to be surprisingly weak compared to the rest of the cast. Perhaps he would have been OK in a regular production, but if I could have given it a 4.5 on Amazon I would have and it would have been a half star deduction just because of him. However everyone else was so fantastic I couldn't make myself do it. I have three songs I really look forward to: Stars, Bring Him Home and Empty Chairs. Two of them are absolutely the best performances of those songs I've ever heard. Sadly Empty Chairs was a total let down in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Christmas gift that made my daughters cry., Dec 25 2012
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I have seen this on TV but having it in my living room is magical, excellent product. Well priced and great value

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 23 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
Having seen the movie first, I was quite curious to see how it was staged and I wasn't dissappointed. I cannot really compare this production with the others, but the end was very impressive with all these singers on stage who over the years enacted the iconic - by now - characters. I know that the actors in the movie version are not professional singers with one or two exceptions, I think, but still I prefer the movie, probably because I've seen it first and because I didn't see the stage versions. Anyway, now I I'm a great fan of the music and I have the DVD-s of the movie and this one, plus the CD with soundtrack of the movie. I think this is quite enough for now. Ever since I've seen the movie the first time I am obsessed with the song at the end when all the characters, dead and alive, sing all in the choir. Yes, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Mis 25h. anniversary, May 2 2011
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I have the 10th. anniversary DVD of Les Mis.This being my all time favourite musical(,have seen it five time,)I enjoyed this 25th.anniversary cast great voices,loved the end when some of the cast members from the 10th. anniversary came on stage to sing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A far cry from the 10th anniversary, April 6 2011
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
Overall performance is great except the no voice Nick Jonas who tried really hard but still no match to the real professionals.
I realize the producer put him there to attract young audience , is there no other young talent with equally good -look and much better voice!! He must have an aggressive manager to get him the part. He is the reason I say this is a far cry from the 10th anniversary production.
He simply do not belong with the real talents. In fact, I feel sorry for him for making a fool of himself. A perfect example of over estimated his own talent. It was very painful to watch him sing when the voice is just not there. Poor kid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw it originally on TV, Oct. 3 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I have seen the performance many times on television, and once in live theatre. With the releade of the motion picture stsrring Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe I needed the confirmation that I was the one who knew the nuances of the songs and that what I was hearing and seeing was close, but not quite what my brain remembered.
A classic that should be in everyone's DVD collection, unless they are content to wait for pledge drive for public broadcast tv channels, or it to be circulated through the rotation of a dedicated arts performance or concert channel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best version out there?, Feb. 21 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nick Jonas's invisible box of Les Mis feelings that he apparently holds through the entire performance makes this entire dvd worth purchasing (also, Norm Lewis's, Samantha Barks', and Katie Hall's stellar performances). Also, if you have had a single strong feeling about the tragedy of barricade boys in your life, you owe it to yourself to hear Ramin Karimloo sing you the song of our people (spoiler alert, Ramin and Hadley are the reason Victor Hugo shipped it so hard).

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., Jan. 19 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
I loved the music, and the fact that it was done on a stage setting. You felt like you were at the theater. Also, enjoyed the part with the original members and future members coming out and singing. Just wondering, the new "Les Miserables" that is for pre-order now, is it the same type of thing, or more like a movie - just wondering, so as to know whether to order it or not. If you could let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Gillian Overall @ hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED, May 9 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary (DVD)
Worth it just for the Valjean Quartet at the end. Can't go wrong with this incredible musical but Alfie Boe has an amazing voice that just lifts you out of the ordinary into the extraordinary. Many great Valjean's but he is my favorite thus far. The Thenardier's were well done as well. Usually they are so annoying I hit fast forward in other versions but these actor's got the comedy and corrupt morals just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but Lacking, July 7 2015
It is a beautiful recording, a technical masterpiece. The only thing better would be a Blu-ray of the Royal Albert Hall anniversary performance. This version simply does not equal the performances of that production brilliant as it is. Even though the Albert Hall recording is technically inferior with a number of jarring background noises it has an emotional element that is not present in the O2 production.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary
Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary by Nick Morris (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 17.97