4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of tech
Love this piece of equipment - despite some of the cons.

One of which is that it could have been a bit faster on the network. The pages on the web interface are slow to load and I have not been able to get the internet shares to work but that's not a big issue (for me)

The Personal Cloud is a bit of a joke and basically cannot be setup while it...
Published 14 months ago by SD

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with this product
Published 2 months ago by Graham smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with this product, Sept. 27 2014
This review is from: Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 34766 (Gray) (Personal Computers)
Not recommended as a back up product - file transfer is VERY slow after the first few megabytes. I also had to return the original to Iomega after a few months as it died. The exchange worked okay - but this was my back up drive and I obviously need back ups to my back up to be secure. It also took me over a week to recover all my files to it from my other backups and music sources. Note Iomega won't assist with file recovery from a dead disk under warranty.

The media server part works okay, although not every music/video file format is accessible with DLNA and the initially free PC media server software was changed to a paid product when I did an update - requiring me to buy a licence for something that had been originally supplied free with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of tech, Sept. 19 2013
Love this piece of equipment - despite some of the cons.

The Personal Cloud is a bit of a joke and basically cannot be setup while it grumbles about port forwarding even though it's all been done. Since Lenovo took over iOmega, support is somewhat poor - and this seems to be a legacy product as well.

Every once in awhile the unit will like any PC or device, benefit from a shutdown/reboot

The stock P2P client works well., I map to this unit from all my PC's, tablets, phones, DLNA devices and stream media from it with no issues

But in all, I would give it a strong buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work Ok So Far, Nov. 21 2012
Been using the drive for month now, no real issues, all devices recognized without issue (Mac OS X, Windows 7 and Vista, OS and Andriod) Have mostly used a network drive and backup, have not tried the Cloud features. Have some issues trying to stream videos to my blackberry playbook web browser (no BB app interface from Iomega) using the web based interface, ocasional data streaming errors causes files to stop playing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't stay online, May 24 2012
I bought this hoping it was going to be a reasonably priced alternative to the StorCenter (which our company purchased and has worked flawlessly), but unfortunately this NAS could not stay online for more than 2 days. Usually 1 day, and I would have to reboot or power cycle it, to get it back online. Very disappointing and frustrating!

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy..., May 1 2012
I had this for a week before I sent it back.
I thought this would have been a great way to both back up media files from my iMac and stream them to my xbox, but it performed terribly.
The interface was a little bit overkill to have 3 different ways to access the drive (web browser, software and OsX), but all 3 ways had equally poor performance, with constant connection drops and corrupted files.
I probably spent a minimum of 2 hours a night for a week trying different ways to configure it and make it work as advertised, unfortunately even after multiple calls to costumer service I was only able to transfer 2 files (250-350 MG each) without corruption after dozens of attempt over a rock solid network.
Maybe it's better on windows or a hard wire network? Who knows... But if you are on Mac ( I was using snow leopard with the latest update of the iomega software) and intend to use this device over wifi with intentions similar to my own, simply don't bother.
Put your money into a real NAS or get something more along the lines of a apple time capsule or one of those multi media players like the WD Live TV Hub with the integrated hard drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good network hard drive for this price, Dec 11 2012
I have not test it very much but I find that it does the job.
It does make some noise, so it is not to be installed in the bedroom.
The speed over a wired network was 1.3Mb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Évaluation du Iomega Home media Cloud edition 2Tb, May 23 2012
Le disque fait ce qu'il est supposé faire et est parfait pour un Usage personnelle. J'ai accès à mes données partout et de façon sécurisé. Et 2 TB pour ce prix c'est un vraiment bon prix afin de prendre en backup vos données. Seul point négatif, je trouve les Storage Manager (l'application d'Iomega) un peu instable ( déconnexion, lenteur parfois) Pour un Usage de façon plus intensive, j'opterais pour les versions ix un peu plus haut de gamme. Mais je suis entièrement satisfait du produit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic Functions Only - overly dissastisfied, Feb. 13 2012
I chose this product over other brands in the NAS category based on customer reviews, tech specs and amazingly low price at Amazon.ca.
My first impressions out of the box were not very great. Getting the hard drive connected to my computer and iPhone (through the free app) was very slow and tedious, requiring changing settings in my router, and waiting about 24-48 hours for these changes to take affect. Telephone support with Iomega was not great, it seemed as if everyone I have spoken with was reading off the same FAQs I could access through their website. After finally getting the basics to work (that is sharing documents within my network and through the cloud, for example at my work computer), things seemed great. Speed was sometimes an issue, for example when editing a Word document directly off the hard drive over the cloud, but for the most part it seemed good. It was about 90% reliable to connect over the cloud, the iPhone app is a really neat feature (though more a luxury than a practical application of the hard drive), and using it as an alternative to a plug in hard drive was great. Unfortunately, I was never able to connect the hard drive to my DLNA TV, or view it in iTunes or WMP shared libraries (these were not make or break points for me, but it would be nice to own something that works as it should). After a few weeks of using it, i noticed some strange security errors: For one thing, I could access the hard drive through its external IP address, over any network (i.e. at a coffee shop) and access all my files without any password protection over a web browser. On the flip side, however, the Iomega Storage Manager Software would not allow me access my files through the software on any network that wasn't my home network.
I called iomega for a 4th time with these last 2 issues, and after 2.5 hours on the phone, I was told to do a factory reset of the machine and try again. Wanting to give this device its second chance, I have done the factory reset, but the same issues come up - won't connect to DLNA, security still a problem... Unfortunately, like I mentioned, the tech support people seem to only know what the iomega website already says, so I am hesitant to call again, and would prefer to return this machine.
From some further research, it seems to me that NAS drives for the basic consumer like myself are not very advanced and are not worth the trouble. I either need to shell out $400-500 minimum for an advanced machine, perhaps with FTP built in, or wait for the consumer side to become more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars stability is an issue - fixed, Jan. 22 2012
pro: Rich features. Price is friendly. No fan design. low power consumption.
con: not very stable. Need to restart the device every few days. Noise from the disk operation is loud (there is no fan noise though)

I have only 100M LAN at home, so I cannot maximize the speed of the device. There is no problem with 1080P video content.

Build-in Bittorrent client is useless. I installed optware, transmission (torrent client), amule (ed2k client) to deal with torrent and ed2k downloading. It need quite some research to setup though (I also installed nano and mc). The downloading speed is perfect (more than 400KB/S, capped by my bandwidth).

I have to restart the device every a few days. Firmware is not very stable. I tried to close all unnecessary services to fix it(including DLNA/media sharing, I always use smb & afp sharing) yesterday. I will see this goes. Hope it will fix the instability. There is also a known bug in media sharing that might cause huge amount of disk space. Customer support said they will fix it in the next version of firmware.

Edit: I have improved the stability when using transmission a lot by doing:
1. setup preallocation in config file to 2
2. set process proirity to 30 (renice to 10)

It is very stable now, and the downloading speed is the same as before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with the drive, Jan. 19 2012
Hardware works as advertised. Software a little buggy- I couldn't get auto backup software to work at first because it wouldn't let me select the drive. Finally, after hours of playing with it I got it working by typing in the path to the drive manually.

So be prepared to spending longer than you think it should take to set up, but once you set it up, it works well as a back up solution.