4.0 out of 5 stars Iomega 2 TB Network Drive Cloud
I bought the Iomega network cloud drive after my experience with the equivalent Lacie product was very negative. Iomega drive installed quickly on several computers, two laptops and a desktop. I use my desktop as the main drive to control and administer the NAS drive.

Published on Sept. 3 2011 by Eugene

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy...
I had this for a week before I sent it back.
I thought this would have been a great way to both back up media files from my iMac and stream them to my xbox, but it performed terribly.
Published on May 1 2012 by Murdock

4.0 out of 5 stars Iomega 2 TB Network Drive Cloud, Sept. 3 2011
This review is from: Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 34766 (Gray) (Personal Computers)

One small snag occurred almost immediately after I installed the software and was informed that one software upgrade was available. I did it and promptly one of the administrator windows stopped working on my browser. I immediately joined the support group and within hours I got a reply that fixed the problem. I only had to erase the history in my browser and everything else went back to normal.

I tried to create a personal cloud but I am with Bell Canada and the router Bell provides does not allow for the private cloud to operate. The problem is with the Bell router not with Iomega. Thus, I will have to use another router. No problem.

To backup my important files I am using Synctoy 2.1 from Microsoft. I am quite happy with it for what I need.

Bottom line, I am happier with Iomega than with Lacie, the price was also much better, I paid 199 plus taxes for the 1Tb NAS Lacie and only 135 for the 2TB from Iomega. I bought it on line from Amazon.Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 34766 (Gray)

4.0 out of 5 stars great unit!!, May 16 2011
bought this mostly due to great price. We needed storage for family of 4 with laptops
had this setup and working on all laptops inside 30 minutes.
Once the storage side was setup I messed with the media side of the house and it works well.
Cons? transferring data from your laptop to the drive is very slow, was faster to transfer to an external hard drive first and plug into network drive.
Customer service is good but they assume you already know everything about the drive. Even after telling them to treat me like a 4 yr old they continued to talk about functions I still have no idea about.

All in all, does exactly what we wanted albeit quite a bit slower transfer than expected. Has many functions that we don't even use but others might.
Once you have one you can expand with usb drives

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy..., May 1 2012
I had this for a week before I sent it back.
The interface was a little bit overkill to have 3 different ways to access the drive (web browser, software and OsX), but all 3 ways had equally poor performance, with constant connection drops and corrupted files.
I probably spent a minimum of 2 hours a night for a week trying different ways to configure it and make it work as advertised, unfortunately even after multiple calls to costumer service I was only able to transfer 2 files (250-350 MG each) without corruption after dozens of attempt over a rock solid network.
Maybe it's better on windows or a hard wire network? Who knows... But if you are on Mac ( I was using snow leopard with the latest update of the iomega software) and intend to use this device over wifi with intentions similar to my own, simply don't bother.
Put your money into a real NAS or get something more along the lines of a apple time capsule or one of those multi media players like the WD Live TV Hub with the integrated hard drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but..., Oct. 1 2011
I'm generally happy with the Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition. It works well. Installation was however painful. Setting a port redirect on my Cisco router was not an issue (I'm fairly comfortable with routers and ports). What was an issue: while the Iomega installer said all was fine, when I tried remote access from outside my home network, the connection didn't work and it took a little digging to find out the router I use (18 months old) doesn't support UPnP out of the box. So I needed to download an update and flash the router BIOS, then do some messing with settings.

In my view, this takes the Ioemga outside the realm of the "casual home user" market. If you are thinking of buying this product and would not be comfortable making under-the-hood changes to your home network hardware, I suggest checking the Iomega site first to see if anyone else is using the same hardware you use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of tech, Sept. 19 2013
Love this piece of equipment - despite some of the cons.

One of which is that it could have been a bit faster on the network. The pages on the web interface are slow to load and I have not been able to get the internet shares to work but that's not a big issue (for me)

The Personal Cloud is a bit of a joke and basically cannot be setup while it grumbles about port forwarding even though it's all been done. Since Lenovo took over iOmega, support is somewhat poor - and this seems to be a legacy product as well.

Every once in awhile the unit will like any PC or device, benefit from a shutdown/reboot

The stock P2P client works well., I map to this unit from all my PC's, tablets, phones, DLNA devices and stream media from it with no issues

But in all, I would give it a strong buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work Ok So Far, Nov. 21 2012
Been using the drive for month now, no real issues, all devices recognized without issue (Mac OS X, Windows 7 and Vista, OS and Andriod) Have mostly used a network drive and backup, have not tried the Cloud features. Have some issues trying to stream videos to my blackberry playbook web browser (no BB app interface from Iomega) using the web based interface, ocasional data streaming errors causes files to stop playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, Sept. 12 2011
It's a good hardware/software for the price. I have a few problems with it when it stayed turned on for many days. In this case, the NAS not appears in my network, so I have to restart it. I had the same problem with the old version (without "Cloud Edition"), so I think that is a problem with Iomega NAS architecture.

The download/updload rates are good, better than the old version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic Functions Only - overly dissastisfied, Feb. 13 2012
I chose this product over other brands in the NAS category based on customer reviews, tech specs and amazingly low price at Amazon.ca.
My first impressions out of the box were not very great. Getting the hard drive connected to my computer and iPhone (through the free app) was very slow and tedious, requiring changing settings in my router, and waiting about 24-48 hours for these changes to take affect. Telephone support with Iomega was not great, it seemed as if everyone I have spoken with was reading off the same FAQs I could access through their website. After finally getting the basics to work (that is sharing documents within my network and through the cloud, for example at my work computer), things seemed great. Speed was sometimes an issue, for example when editing a Word document directly off the hard drive over the cloud, but for the most part it seemed good. It was about 90% reliable to connect over the cloud, the iPhone app is a really neat feature (though more a luxury than a practical application of the hard drive), and using it as an alternative to a plug in hard drive was great. Unfortunately, I was never able to connect the hard drive to my DLNA TV, or view it in iTunes or WMP shared libraries (these were not make or break points for me, but it would be nice to own something that works as it should). After a few weeks of using it, i noticed some strange security errors: For one thing, I could access the hard drive through its external IP address, over any network (i.e. at a coffee shop) and access all my files without any password protection over a web browser. On the flip side, however, the Iomega Storage Manager Software would not allow me access my files through the software on any network that wasn't my home network.
I called iomega for a 4th time with these last 2 issues, and after 2.5 hours on the phone, I was told to do a factory reset of the machine and try again. Wanting to give this device its second chance, I have done the factory reset, but the same issues come up - won't connect to DLNA, security still a problem... Unfortunately, like I mentioned, the tech support people seem to only know what the iomega website already says, so I am hesitant to call again, and would prefer to return this machine.
From some further research, it seems to me that NAS drives for the basic consumer like myself are not very advanced and are not worth the trouble. I either need to shell out $400-500 minimum for an advanced machine, perhaps with FTP built in, or wait for the consumer side to become more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars stability is an issue - fixed, Jan. 22 2012
pro: Rich features. Price is friendly. No fan design. low power consumption.
con: not very stable. Need to restart the device every few days. Noise from the disk operation is loud (there is no fan noise though)

I have only 100M LAN at home, so I cannot maximize the speed of the device. There is no problem with 1080P video content.

Build-in Bittorrent client is useless. I installed optware, transmission (torrent client), amule (ed2k client) to deal with torrent and ed2k downloading. It need quite some research to setup though (I also installed nano and mc). The downloading speed is perfect (more than 400KB/S, capped by my bandwidth).

I have to restart the device every a few days. Firmware is not very stable. I tried to close all unnecessary services to fix it(including DLNA/media sharing, I always use smb & afp sharing) yesterday. I will see this goes. Hope it will fix the instability. There is also a known bug in media sharing that might cause huge amount of disk space. Customer support said they will fix it in the next version of firmware.

Edit: I have improved the stability when using transmission a lot by doing:
1. setup preallocation in config file to 2
2. set process proirity to 30 (renice to 10)

It is very stable now, and the downloading speed is the same as before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and a terrible implementation.., Oct. 11 2011
This NAS features lots of nice functions in a way that it looks like a great and valuable product. In fact it is not that bad, the only problem is its performance. Many times I simply cannot access my shared folders. I have many pictures and this was one of the main applications for this storage. So, as soon as I got my device I moved all my pictures to it. The problem is that I barely can access the storage to look my pictures because it crashes even while listing them (thumbnail view). It happens more often with the pictures share but it also happens with other shares. I updated it to the newest firmware version trying to fix this issue, but although it is slightly better now, it is still crashing very often. The device is still useful for back up purposes and few other applications. I may rise my rate if this problem was solved.

UPDATE:
I decided to disassembly the device and plug the HDD into my desktop. It's terrible but this NAS performance totally sucks..