5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read
Published 6 months ago by Duncan A Locke

3.0 out of 5 stars so true...
I am a seventeen year old girl and this book really struck a chord within me. The things that the girls did to Elaine sent a chill down my spine but they didn't shock me. At all. I had friends much like Elaine's and I wouldn't be surprised if I had once been a friend like that.
Published on March 23 2005 by nikki_bluesky

5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read, Jan. 24 2014
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Kindle Edition)
For me, this was almost MY history growing up and living in Canada. All of the references were ones that I knew. It was very well written. The business of growing up, being bullied and overcoming trials of one's childhood were well addressed. The tale was intertwined with views of the past and views of the present. I was present at a book club meeing in Portland, Oregon for the discussion of this book. All eighteen present agreed that it was a well chosen wonderful read. To be the only Canadian in the group and to hear the words of praise for this Canadian book by Margaret Atwood was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Atwood's best books, Dec 2 2001
Dale Hrabi (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
I've read all of Margaret Atwood's books, except Alias Grace. I read my sister's copy of Cat's Eye when if first came out and remember thinking: "hmmm, kind of a rehash of themes from earlier books," specifically Lady Oracle, in which menacing ravines also figure. It seemed a so-so, traditional effort after the more obviously audacious Handmaid's Tale.
Recently, however, after 9/11, i went through a phase where I couldn't read, couldn't find a book that could hold my attention, lead me into its world, make me care.
Came upon Cat's Eye in a thrift store. Revelation: how much stronger and sure-stepped it seems to me the second time. Atwood's expert handling of the slow power shift between Elaine and Cordelia affected me more deeply this time, perhaps because I've lived longer now and have seen strong friends falter and others, once dismissed as "quiet," emerge as the real, fierce talents.
Don't hesitate. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and Intriguing, Dec 31 2011
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
I won't say anything that hasn't already been told by other reviews of this book, except that this is the novel which made me really love Atwood.

4.0 out of 5 stars SAD, Aug. 22 2010
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
"If I were to see Cordelia again, what would I tell her about myself? The truth, or whatever would make me look good."

This novel started off at a fast pace and kept me glued to the pages. Elaine is the victim of the bullying of a group of three girls who are considered her friends. Although they are supposed to be friends they make Elaine a scapegoat for everthing that happens in the three girls' lives. She is obedient to their punishment, becasue she thinks she really deserves it. But suddenly one day that all changes and we are brought into the the future lives of these young women. Not a bad book but very detailed, and towards the end I was gettinga little weary of it.
Reviewed by Heather Marshall Negahdar (Sugar-Cane- August 21st, 2010)

3.0 out of 5 stars so true..., March 23 2005
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
The novel was well written and the first half of it had me entranced but as the novel continued on, I felt as though Atwood had grown bored with the plot. I forced myself to finish the book just because I had read two of her other novels (The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake) and loved them.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a sustained poem., March 30 2003
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
Being male, I found that reading this book along with my female friend helped me to appreciate it more than I would have on my own. She commented, several times, that "language and observation make this book a sustained poem" and I agreed several times. Her perspective was needed and appreciated. It is definitely a book ABOUT women and FOR women, but us dudes can get something out of it too... because it is brilliantly written.
It is not only an "Atwood" but one of the better "Atwoods"!
The author has stated that Cat's Eye is "about how girlhood traumas continue into adult life" and that is it in a nutshell.
When the painter Elaine Risley returns to Toronto for a retrospective of her work, she is confronted with the memories of her childhood... mysteries to unravel, others to tie up and lay to rest. Elaine the child, had a temperament that allowed other girls to belittle and dominate her.
In a word, she was bullied.
And no one bullied her as much as Cordelia did.
When Elaine is brought back to the geography of her past, she finds that she has to come to terms with her feelings about Cordelia... this retrospective of her WORK turns into a retrospective of her LIFE.
Through flashbacks galore, and in writing that is spare and bleeding with cut-wrist exposure, Atwood leaves no part of Elaine's wounds unsalted.
Here is a question that I think the thoughtful reader will be asked to ponder:
Does "closure" mean annihilation/renunciation of memory, or acceptance/reconciliation of memory?
Or as my friend and I put it: Does Elaine still have her Cat's Eye with her when she returns to Vancouver?
This is not a plot-driven, but a personality or character driven book. Those who think that sound-bites on T.V. are too lengthy should probably stay away from it.
Cat's Eye would be a great Book Club selection because of the discussion and opinion that it is sure to stimulate. I'm going to rate it closer to five stars than four.

4.0 out of 5 stars One to keep, Feb. 27 2002
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
This was a book that was loaned to me and I read it to kill some time. It has become one of my favorite books. I actually read that original copy to pieces. I would suggest this book to anyone that wanted a good rainy day afternoon book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical Marbles Don't Help Elaine, Feb. 15 2002
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
"Cat's Eye" was a good example of the cruelties that little girls face during their childhood. Elaine, the main character, goes through the first eight years of her life acting like a boy, because she has a brother, and that is the only way she knows how to act. When her parents move to Toronto, she is faced with having to make friends that are girls. Elaine finds some cruel friends that criticize her every move. She is punished in obscene ways like being put down in a hole in the ground and covered with dirt for hours. Her "friends" make Elaine feel that they are "helping" her, and that it is a little girl's game that adults don't know about. When Elaine finds out that the adults were ok with it, she learns to hate. While playing a game of marble's, Elaine wins a cat's eye marble and she honestly believes that it will keep her safe from the girls. As you read the book, you will see how the girls in her childhood affected how she lived the rest of her life. The book was a little confusing, and hard to follow, since Atwood goes back and forth between the past and the present. Overall I would say that "Cat's Eye" isn't a GREAT book, but it isn't bad either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Relationships, Nov. 29 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
This was a wonderful read about the growing pains that most young women go through and the way that we learn to become functioning adults. I remember girls from my childhood that acted very much like Cordelia and Elaine. I think this would be a great book for girls in high school to read to give insight into their own world.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Novel, Oct. 21 2001
debra crosby (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat's Eye (Paperback)
Other reviewers have used the word "haunting" to describe this novel, and I must agree. This book stayed with me long after I finished it, and compelled me to read even when I was too tired to do so. At first, I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. Elaine, the protagonist, does not come across as a strong character; indeed, she is almost painfully introspective and introverted. Her inner life is rich, however, and her ruminations about her family and friends are quite perceptive. So I kept reading and allowed Elaine to reveal herself to me. As a girl, Elaine grows up in a family that is unusual, but loving and supportive of her. Her "friends" are another story. I don't think I've ever read anything that describes so well the cruelty that young girls are capable of. The social and psychological aspects of growing up are no better shown than here. However, this is the strongest part of the book. Elaine's adult life, colored as it was by her past, is not as richly portrayed, but she remains an interesting person. Her art is her catharsis, as personal and as difficult for an outsider to understand as is the artist herself. This book is an eerie coming-of-age tale, told with poetic beauty and sorrow.

Cat's Eye