42 of 42 people found the following review helpful
on October 23, 2011
Not sure why I always have to go off Amazon.ca to get info on their listings... who would ever even consider buying this without knowing WHO is on it? Anyway, here are the details:
This collection features the following albums:
1) Bessie Smith: The Bessie Smith Story
2) Big Bill Broonzy: Big Bill Blues
3) Little Richard: Little Richard And Buck Ram
4) Mahalia Jackson: Live At Newport 1958
5) Chuck Willis: Wails The Blues
6) Elvis Presley: Elvis Presley For Lp Fans Only
7) Jimmy Witherspoon: In Person
8) Robert Johnson: King Of The Delta Blues Singers
9) Sonny Boy Williamson And Memphis Slim
10) Aretha Franklin: Unforgettable - A Tribute To Dinah Washington
11) Son House: Father Of Folk Blues
12) Johnny "Guitar" Watson & Larry Williams: Two For The Price Of One
13) Champion Jack Dupree: Anthologie Du Blues Vol. 1
14) Otis Span: The Biggest Things Since Colossus
15) Johnny Winter: Johnny Winter
16) Percy Mayfield: Sings Percy Mayfield
17) The Johnny Otis Show: Live At Monterey!
18) Willie Dixon: I Am The Blues
19) Hubert Sumlin & His Friends: Kings Of Chicago Blues
20) Taj Mahal: The Real Thing
21) Muddy Waters: Hard Again
22) Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble: Texas Flood
23) Keb' Mo': Just Like You
24) Etta James: Life, Love & The Blues
25) Buddy Guy: Blues Singer
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
There's lots of 5-star reviews here, and one more coming up from me! For the money, this is the easiest way to get a fantastic classic blues collection, working out at around $3 to $4 a disk when add in tax. Considering the list of artists are really a who's who of blues, and this set contains the near-ideal list of classic blues albums, I can't for a moment think of a reason not to buy the box unless you have all the CDs or LPs already!
Of course, these are all old albums, remastered very nicely from analog, so if you are expecting some of the current blues artists, you'll be disappointed. But, if you want to hear the music that defined the blues over a couple of decades, then this is your box. There's an album from each of the big names, typically their best known release or the one that defined their career, and there's some wonderfujl music here. Not all blues is the same, of course, and this box shows that remarkably well as you sample the discs. It's also instructive to see how the blues evolved through these artists during the span of these recordings alone, as well as to compare with current blues releases.
The booklet that accompanies the box is light on content but does include track info for all the CDs, and the sound on the discs themselves is very good. WHile you can hear the recording's age in many cases, it's not distracting or annoying on any disc. Since this represents one of the few blues collection boxes available, it's a great buy for everyone but the person who's a blues fanatic and has all this material already. Otherwise, buy it! You'll love it!