5.0 out of 5 stars blowmedowner - new Canaon T3i
Published on June 21 2012 by blowmedowner

3.0 out of 5 stars the price?!?
I have this camera for some time now and it's amazing. Out of curiosity, I've been monitoring the price for a while and can't understand how you came up with something like $1400.00?? everywhere else you can buy this item for $600!!
Just for this reason, I rate it a bit lower.
Published on Dec 12 2012 by Lucy

5.0 out of 5 stars blowmedowner - new Canaon T3i, June 21 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18.0MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Zoom Lens, Black (5169B004) (Camera)
I have now been using my Canon T3i for about a month and have been totally satisfied with it. I have also been able to use the two Canon lenses I already owned. I have been particularly pleased with the ease of using the live screen viewfinder which is so helpful for close-ups with any accessories and can be adjusted to any angle, or kept closed when only the eye-level vf is required. I also purchased the MeiKe battery grip for $49, a fraction of the cost of Canon's own model, but works just as well as the BG I have for my T1 for which I paid 5 times as much for Canon's own version.
Delivery was within the specified time, but on receiving the package I was alarmed to find that the bottom of the (used) box was almost falling off. However, fortunately, on opening the package the inner container, the camera's own box, was in perfect condition, and so was the camera itself. I would recommend that a better quality outside box be used on future shipments of that value. Aside from this potential problem, I can happily endorse the reliability and ease of doing business with Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and pros!, Feb. 11 2014
The canon t3i is a great camera for beginners and pros alike. The easy to access settings makes using your own creative style quick and easy. I started with this camera and it has helped me to build my confidence and skills in using DSLR cameras to the point where I am ready to expand my lens collection and purchase even more accessories to further my photography career. I love the light weight and small, but solid, size of the t3i. It makes it easy to carry around without getting tired, while still being able to get sturdy, crisp shots. I would definitely recommend this camera to anyone looking to get started in DSLR and maybe eventually want to upgrade or move forward in their photography career as well. Well worth the price, a cheap price at that 😊

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Feb. 1 2012
This is the first DSLR camera I have ever purchased, I've read so many good things about it so it was a must for an amateur like myself. Easy to learn and the quality of the photos and video are just phenomenal! No more point and shoot cameras for me! Definitely worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific Value in this camera, May 1 2014
I am an 'older' and retired professional photographer. The Canon T3i is an earlier model (2011) of their series, thus the reduced prices. Consumers Reports gave glowing review - beating out another Canon valued over $1,000.00. My first DSL - so there is a major learning curve here, more to do with simply experimenting often to get used to the possibilities. Purchased the 55 - 250mm IS lens with this camera, tried it once and was extremely pleased with ease of operation and clarity of image. On one occasion the auto focus lens had trouble getting the job done - too many cat tails in the way. A simple flick of a switch on side of lens so I could manual focus and the shot was accomplished before subject flew off. Very pleased. All in all, terrific value and FAR more camera than I will probably use, but will have a great time learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Camera, Jan. 10 2014
lowercase i (Port Burwell, ON CA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a good camera that would allow me to control depth of field. I never dreamed this would have so many features. I find I'm using it far more than I had anticipated. I take it with me practically everywhere, and I find I'm beginning to look at the world very differently... appreciating small things like drops of water on a plant. If you buy this camera I would also highly recommend that you also purchase the following book: "Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera" by Bryan Peterson.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon T3i, Dec 27 2011
Very good Camera! Photos are so good they frequently don't require any editing to adjust contrast, colour or sharpness. The only fault I have found after 8 months is the slow focusing when using the LCD monitor to frame the shot. Using the viewfinder, focus is vertually instantaneous;using the LCD, it spends a second or two of fishing for the focal point. Not sure what the difference is in the OS for the two modes but the latter can be frustrating when a quick shot is attempted.EOS Rebel T3i (600D) 18.0 MP 3.0 In. Swivel LCD Full HD Video Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent upgrade!, April 16 2015
moose - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have used a Canon T3 for many years. A local store had an offer for an upgrade and I jumped at the opportunity. Below is my review for the Canon T3 which I had posted elsewhere on Amazon:

Was debating between a T3i and this T3. The T3 is excellent for an amateur photographer just learning to use a DSLR. I find it fast enough for my needs (occasional action shooting) but mostly use it to take pics of nature scenes and of stars (lots of time lapse photography). It would have been nice to have the higher resolution LCD panel from the T3i, but this is pretty much the only function I miss. I use the viewfinder to actually take the shot, so only miss it while reviewing photos. The non-swivel display isn't that big of a deal, and 12MP is more than enough unless you plan on having huge prints. If you plan on getting a really fast lens with a large aperture (f2 range) you may want to consider the T3i as it has a better focusing ability for these fast lenses. Overall, very pleased with the camera and would recommend.

Now why did I upgrade? The T3 sensor accumulated dust on the sensor multiple times. I do lots of lens changes and travel quite a bit so this was expected. Canon charges $100 for sensor cleaning or you can purchase the kit and do it yourself. I did the latter option but was finding I was doing this almost after every trip. The T3i's autocleaning sensor was huge for me!

Over the years, I have missed the articulating screen on some shots when I need to raise the camera or shoot from low angles, doesn't happen much, but having it is nice. The higher resolution LCD screen is also much easier to see in direct sunlight.

Points from my previous review that I still agree with are that the 18MP sensor is not really that necessary for me and I don't shoot high speed as often so the increase in focusing speed isn't that noticed (more on this later)

Downsides: It's heavier than the T3 by quite a bit but the build quality seems better. Boot up time is almost 2X as much (due to sensor cleaning and not sure why else). Battery life isn't as good (1/3 less the T3).

I have upgraded the stock lenses to STM lenses. I use polarizing filters and didn't enjoy the rotating anterior portion of the IS II series. Also the STM lenses focus quietly and quickly and full time manual override which is nice. You can read my reviews of the lenses I own at their respective pages. I have the 10-18 STM, 18 - 55 STM, and the 55 - 250 STM.

Now for the important question, do I recommend? In short yes, which is why I upgraded. However, I don't just buy stuff because it has more features; think about whether or not you need the additional functionality. I loved the T3 and it served as a brilliant camera for many years and proved to be rugged enough to handle quite a bit. For instance, the T5i has a touch screen and cross-point focusing for videos and comes with the STM lens out of the box. Personally, I dislike the touch screen, don't shoot video much, and already had an STM lens.

For beginners, get a T3 or T5 and save the extra cash to buy better glass (lens). This is a wonderful camera however and I doubt I'll get another unless it's full frame or I break mine somehow.

Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars canon rebel t3i, Aug. 14 2011
seto (vancouver canada) - See all my reviews
great camera and comes with every thing it says(eg the camera body, 18-55mm lens). it ship fast (it came to my house in 12 day). it was a good buy and i will recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to get into, Feb. 8 2014
hard to put it down!
I'm a hobby photographer living out in the bush, where I take lots of pics of wildlife and my family, as well as being hired here and there for weddings, workshops etc. I like the easy handling of the Canon, it's perfect for someone, who has the right feel for situations and angles without necessarily a professional understanding of photography - the camera enables you to take pictures like a pro and makes up for a lot of deficiency in the knowlegde elsewhere!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Dec 2 2013
This is a great camera, you can take great pictures and never read a instruction manual. Every time I go out with it my pics are improved.