5.0 out of 5 stars GET FIT TO THE BEAT!
After more than a year of using the Wii Fit Plus, my wife was looking for a new Wii exergame. Zumba Fitness is a nice fun diversion but it offers little in the area of structured aerobics and calorie control. In contrast, ExerBeat seems to be the perfect blend of new activities and a fitness program.

A PERFECT COMBINATION
More than 120 exergames, including...
Published on May 21 2011 by NeuroSplicer

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Good if you don't want a really want extensive workout. Too easy.
Published 17 days ago by Coco

5.0 out of 5 stars GET FIT TO THE BEAT!, May 21 2011
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

A PERFECT COMBINATION
More than 120 exergames, including yoga/pilates, karate forms, boxercising and dance-exercise (aerobics, hip-hop & latin). Only some of them are unlocked from the very beginning, the others become available as you progress, as is your personal trainer So, not only you get having fun with dancing aerobics (something missing from Wii FIT PLUS) but you also get to monitor your progress, intensity of workout and calories burned (something ZUMBA FITNESS is lacking). Your routines are customizable and can be focused on problem areas. What is more, to keep things interesting, you are presented with daily and weekly exercise challenges that are not considered successfully completed unless you score 70% or better.
Moreover, whereas in the Wii FIT PLUS you had to set your own stretching through yoga exercises, ExerBeat comes with its own stretching routines to keep your joints and muscles safe from stains.

CONTROL(LER) ISSUES
The game can be played in its entirety with a single controller (Wiimote), the game will be asking you which hand you are favoring. Although two controllers are recommended for more precise results, they are not required. Similarly, up to two persons can join simultaneously, each with either one or two controllers. Just remember to setup the game accordingly.
The WiiMotion Plus and the Balance Board accessories are required for a number (but not all) of the exergames. Moreover, there is a non-competitive video mode where you try to match what is on the screen without having to carry the controller.

AT THE HEART OF IT ALL
Before actually starting a cartoon music note, named Rhythm, asks about your age, weight and dominant hand. Later on you will be asked whether you will be using one or two controllers. Since one needs to monitor his or her heart rate in order to reap the most benefits out of aerobic exercises, the game reminds you of this - but offers no way of actually measuring or calculating it. You can use an Heart-Rate Monitor or can measure and calculate it using a stopwatch. For some of the yoga/pilates exercises you may also need an exercise mat.

WALK THE EARTH
I appreciated the game developers' retro humor, because this motivational gimmick reminded me of a childhood TV-series, Kung Fu, where David Carradine did exactly that: he walked the earth enforcing his morality code with his martial arts skills. No morality code enforcing here but your cumulative efforts (workout time + rhythm points) are translated in distance covered ...walking the earth. Whenever landmarks are reached new exercises are unlocked, to give you a visual sense of accomplishment.

PARTY GAMES THAT BURN
My favorite is the Pirate Attack, where you get to swing your sword (...Wiimote) in the correct angle and direction in order to fend off pirate attacks. You get so into it you forget you are playing until your shoulder muscles burn. As will with Swimming and Pizza Toss. There is also Wall Smasher (a boxing game) and Dance fever (dancing face off).

The Nintendo Wii is the gaming system that was designed from start to finish keeping in mind that the person using it should be having fun. Otherwise, why bother? Sure, getting fit for the beach or loosing those extra pounds, leftover from the winter indulgences, should be equally important motivation - but who are we kidding right? It is so much easier to get into your workout outfit and sweat yourself to better fitness when you know you will be having fun.

And EXERBEAT excels in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExerBeat...where in the world is your Mii?, May 22 2011
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
I received ExerBeat on Friday and it is an enjoyable addition to my Wii exercise collection (Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports, Gold's Gym Cardio, Walk It Out, New You Fitness First Yoga & Pilates, My Fitness Coach, etc.)

The "Around The World Challenge" is great. My Mii has been to 13 of 90 destinations and is currently in the Sahara Desert.

Another plus is that players can choose the length of their workout times once the personal trainer section has been unlocked.

I like everything about this game. The biggest surprise is that there is so much in this $20 game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up off the couch and lose some inches!, June 21 2012
PT Cruiser - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
I have to admit, when I saw this game at such a reasonable price (not that I'm complaining!), I wondered, "Just how good can it be?" Thank goodness I didn't put off buying it. It's a wonderful exercise game and a huge bargain! Namco has done it again. I've been their biggest fan of their We Cheer and We Cheer 2 games and now they've added a game with some of the same features, like the circles and other shapes showing arm or body movements, with that familiar little "Bling!" when you get it right and earn points. This is a high energy set of workouts and games with something for everyone. I love the dance aerobics which includes Latin Dance and Hip Hop and aerobics. And this game includes the best yoga instruction that I've seen so far on any Wii game. The instructors and clear and easy to follow and the graphics show exactly how to do the exercises. It's like being in an actual yoga class. And the Wiimote lets you know if you're doing the poses correctly.

You can use one or two Wiimotes although I highly recommend using two. If you've played We Cheer or We Cheer 2, you'll know what I mean. There are also exercises that use the balance board, although not as many as I might have wished for.

So, here are the details:

When you launch the game the first thing it asks is to create a new avatar or use your existing Mii. I chose my Mii and then you see a little musical note avatar, very reminiscent of the Wii Balance board that you see in Wii Fit. He talks to you, calling you by name (Don't you just love that?) and he asks for all your info like birth date, weight, and dominant hand for playing the games. Then he asks if you'd like to see a short tutorial on how to play the game. It's not too long and I recommend watching it. You can skip any parts you might already know by pressing the + button and holding it down. There's a short practice aerobics exercise in the tutorial to give you the feel of how it works. You can see on the screen the current workout time, points and the remaining time of the workout. (I love this feature!)

Now you're ready to go. Choose the one or two player mode and tell it if you're using one Wiimote or two. It also asks again for your dominant hand. The next thing you see is the main menu so you can choose what type of workout you want to do. Here are the categories:

Dance Exercises - When you click this you have a choice of 3 different categories: Aerobics, Hip Hop and Latin Dance. Each of those categories has 20 different exercises. There are 5 open to start and more open as you play and gain points. The only ones that use the balance board are 10 of the Latin Dance exercises. All of these that I tried so far are high energy and fun. It's like a dancercise class with great instruction and the graphics are clear and easy to follow.

Martial Arts Exercises - You have your choice of Boxing, Karate and Karate Forms. There are 5 open under each to start and more open as you gain points. Boxing and Karate each have 20 exercises and Karate Forms has 10. Great instruction and a good workout.

Body Conditioning - The categories are Yoga/Pilates which has 20 exercises and Stretching which has 10. This is the best Yoga instruction that I've seen on any Wii game. 6 exercises are open to start on the yoga and 5 on the stretching.

After you finish your workouts the results screen appears showing your Rhythm Points, Success Rates and other stats. You can press the A button to see your workout time, calories an history so far. Players with a high number of points make it onto the ranking board where you can win bronze, silver or gold medals. After seeing your ranking, you go to an Around the World screen which shows your progress based on your workouts and weekly challenges. Any Mii that completes their journey around the world appears with a crown on their head and it displays the number of trips around the world. So there's always something new to strive for.

Party Games - There are 5 really fun games included which sort of remind me of the games on Wii Fit. They are: Swimming, Dance Fever, Pizza Toss, Wall Smasher and Pirate Attack. Pirate attack uses the Motion Plus and Balance Board for the Wii.

There is also a My Exercises tab where you can set up your own routine for a personalized workout program. Nice touch!

I love this game! The controls are very responsive, the menus move quickly and efficiently and it has so many nice features and exercises that I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Namco has done it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and so much variety, March 21 2012
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
I used to be a regular at gym classes but I just can't seem to fit them in anymore. I used Wii Fit for a while and Just Dance. I didn't find Wii Fit as fun or intense as I prefer. I enjoy doing Just Dance but don't find it a workout. I thought that I'd try ExerBeat because the description on the back sounded interesting and it was the least expensive exercise game I could find that day. I liked it from the start. The things that I like the best is that it starts with short one and two minute exercises which a person can string together and then gradually works up to workouts that are 20 to 30 minutes. Seeing as it has been a while since I've done boxercise or aerobics classes, I enjoyed being allowed to gradually work my way back into it. I also appreciate that once I caught on, I could move into more active and challenging routines. The walking around the globe feature is cute and motivating at first. However, now that I've used this game more I think that I would prefer that the walking part could be set up so that I would only do it at the end of my entire workout session not at the end of each segment. However, I still keep jogging in place during that part so it's not like it's wasted time. That's one little annoyance. The other is that the exercise leaders sometimes do a lot of extra talking at the end of the shorter exercise sequences. I find this particularly annoying with the stretching workouts. I wish that there was more stretching and less talking. Keep in mind, that these complaints are minor ones because as a person gets more advanced and the individual lessons get longer, they are less of a factor.

The features that I like the most:
1) The daily challenge - it strings together one to three exercises that seem to be selected randomly and it gives you a target percentage of moves that you have to get correct. I think that it started at about 60 or 70% but I'm now up to 90%. This can be very challenging. Also, because it gives the same challenge to everyone who plays the game that day, I can try to beat my husband's score!
2) Personal trainer mode - I really like this feature. You pick one of several options such as focusing on burning fat, developing cardio fitness, relaxation and then set a time limit and the game makes a little workout for you. Unlike the other exercises, it doesn't keep track of your score or give you medals but I do like it that one exercise is given after the other and I don't have to go back to the menu and select what I want to do next. The exercises I do in personal trainer mode count towards my daily stats and add miles for walking around the world.
3) The variety of exercises - In the old days I liked going to different exercise classes such as aerobics, step, boxercise and yoga. This game offers me the same sort of variety. I really like that. The Latin Dance and Hip Hop dances are fun and challenging right off the bat. The Karate and boxercise start out easy and then rapidly get faster and more difficult. I also like that there are pilates and yoga options as well because I'm the type that will skip the stretching!

For the price and what you get, I think that this is by far the best value in any sort of workout purchase you can make whether it be a workout video, a piece of workout equipment, a gym membership. And what's even better, both my husband and I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Wii-Fit, you will love this!, Sept. 14 2012
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
This exercise game is a lot of fun. I wasn't expecting to much considering the low price but I was really surprised. There are many exercises to do and a lot of variations. There are stretching exercises, yoga, pilates, and dancing, and kickboxing and so much to keep you interested and motivated. No chance of boredom here. For the price it is a real bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exercise at home fun fun fun, July 19 2012
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
Fun, good workout, diverse. I love it. Very good to do at home specially when gyms are not close. Exercises target all muscles groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Feb. 18 2012
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
This game is challenging and really fun i was going to buy WiiFit but was told to try this first. WAY BETTER!

5.0 out of 5 stars fun fun fun, Dec 25 2013
Linda Berthiaume "LindyCFF" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
love this and its fun for the whole family to play. Great workouts. IMO its a well made game. a must buy If you love working out at home and want to have some fun while doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST WORKOUT GAME EVER!!!, July 25 2013
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
I have a few work out games but this one blew them all away!! Everytime you do an exercise it gives you points and you watch your little mii character walk around the world. It sounds a bit cheesy but in the past it did make me use it a bit more to get to the next country. I love the fact that there's a lot of variety. There's a few games, 3 aerobic dance modes like salsa and hip hop, martial arts like karate and kickboxing (one of my faves), and stretching like yoga and pilates. You have the option of using one or two controllers or even using a workout video mode so you don't have to bother with any controllers. You can even make your own routines instead of picking a new exercise every few minutes. It will save more than 1 too. The graphics are pretty good, the music isn't annoying (and I've logged quite a few hours on this one so I would know).

If I had any complaints it would be that at the end of an individual exercise the "person" instructing it will talk to you and there is no way to skip over it. It can be annoying if you're doing multiple activities. And, it's the type of game that the more you play the more activities and modes you unlock. I'd love for at least all the modes to be unlocked when you first start playing.

All in all, I never regretted purchasing this game and it's one of a few I still use

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun Wii workout by far, June 20 2013
This review is from: ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition (Video Game)
I have a whole series of Wii workouts including this one, Wii fit, Biggest Loser Challenge, Fitness 2013 (Wii U), New U Yoga and Gold's Cardio. I think I have another one or two.. This one is THE MOST FUN by far. The workout isn't hard, but it is great for my "rest day" every week. By far this has the BEST cool down in their stretch area.

At first it is super slow, but I am now even at "Greece" yet and I have opened up personal trainer mode which allows you to put workouts back to back so it is faster and you can get a decent sweat going. I am NOT a dancer, as you can see by the titles I have bought. However, there dance workouts are really accessable and doable for people with no beat like chicks like me and possibly men. And they are really fun!

If you use Wii workouts as an intregal part of your training, I'd highly recommend this one as your cool down and easy day.

ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition
ExerBeat - Wii Standard Edition by Namco Bandai (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: CDN$ 34.34