4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated canine flick
I seem to be one of the few people who consider All Dogs 2 a considerable improvement over Don Bluth's original. True, the animation is not up to the lush (perhaps _over_ - lush_ quality of the original, but the story is more coherent, the songs are better, and I just generally find it more appealing and easier to watch.
Some parents (particularly religiously...
Published on Aug. 8 2001 by T. Gadd

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a worth-while Sequel
Published on June 7 2001 by sannabelle

2.0 out of 5 stars This should never have happened..., Aug. 1 2003
Mikazo (Northglenn, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I dunno. This movie made me think of something George Carlin said: "Wherever ideas are concerned, Americans can be counted on to do one of two things: Take a really good idea and run it completely into the ground, or take a really bad idea and run it completely into the ground."
Part of the appeal of the first movie was the dark theme, the lovable characters, and the bittersweet story. In other words, it was the kind of movie that, when you were done watching it, you didn't know how to feel about the ending. Mixed emotions.
Remember reading "Where the Red Fern Grows," and feeling that same way at the end? Part of the reason that book was so good is because it makes you feel that way.
I believe the people who wrote this sequel wanted to do two things: They wanted to make a quick buck, sure... but not only that, they wanted to continue the story with a script designed to negate those mixed emotions the first movie produced. They were soft and weak, and couldn't stomach a movie that didn't have a clear-cut happy ending. So they produced something inferior that completely destroyed the magic of the original story, all in an effort to set things straight.
I gave it two stars for it's good-hearted (yet lame) attempt to reach out to the children of divorced parents, but as far as I'm concerned, this sequel never happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated canine flick, Aug. 8 2001
T. Gadd "lupercal" (Tasmania, Australia) - See all my reviews
Some parents (particularly religiously inclined ones) may have qualms with the depiction of heaven (i.e. it's for Ned Flanders types, and is so boring it makes an earthly life look very appealing), with Irish setter Sasha's nightclub scene (seemingly modelled on Jessica Rabbit's number from 'Who Framed RR' (it's also a highlight of the film), and with a few moments of dialogue which are definately not aimed at kids, but blink and you've missed them (which would be a shame, because they're rather funny)
I'm giving this one 4 stars, because I'm sick of seeing it dismissed as a poor follow up to the original. Do avoid the All Dogs Christmas Carol though; that one really is a bit of a dud.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a worth-while Sequel, June 7 2001
"sannabelle" (kanata, ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (VHS Tape)
I loved the first ADGTH. It was excellent,from my stand-point. Above most average cartoons. But ADGTH2 ? No. I liked it when I first saw it (Come one..I was like...5) but re-watching it now, I see how bad it is. The plot is non-exgsistant and TOTALY doesn't make sense with the first one. Sasha (lead female) is not a bad character, but David is whiny and annoying. Annabelle is totaly changed - and her voice is WAY different. Charlie is not the same lovable rascal he was in the first movie. He's lost a sensee of real street-smarts that were so visible in the first one. You don't really conect with the characters in the movie, because you dont see them develop. Charlie doesn't change any, nor do Sasha or Itchy. David changes a little, but not enough to tug the heartstrings of the viewers. Its not a very emotional movie (Okay...1 song is), unlike the original. I just can't really get to like this movie. The three stars are for those who havent seen the original. If you haven't, and can't compare it, than it stands a fair chance. I'm not saying your going to hate it. I'm saying /I/ didn't like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars "All Dogs Go To Heaven" was never meant to have a sequel., Jan. 20 2000
This review is from: All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (VHS Tape)
This was not a good movie. For one simple reason: "All Dogs Go To Heaven" was never meant to have a sequel. How could it? (Spoilers for the first movie ahead.) Charlie B. Barkin died in the first movie. He went to Heaven. Itchy stayed with Anne-Marie. That's how the movie ended, how it was meant to end. Charlie was not meant to suddenly decide he felt bored in Heaven (how could anyone be _bored_ in Heaven?) and come back to Earth. He already _had_ a second chance to come back to Earth and redeem himself. In the first movie. That's that. And Charlie in the sequel was not the Charlie we all know and love from the first movie. First of all, Charlie Sheen did a find job and all, but I'm sorry; Burt Reynolds _is_ Charlie B. Barkin. That's all there is to it. But it's more than that. Charlie did not really act like he did in the first movie. Completely different character. But I think the biggest problem I have with this sequel is that it is _such_ a cheap movie in comparison to the original. The original was about love and redemption and honor and loyalty and friendship. About letting some cynicism of the world go and letting hope come back into your life. That effect was lost in the sequel. The sequel was a cartoon; the original was an animated classic _movie_. This was one of my Dad's favorite movies, and when he passed away nearly a year ago, the original was heart-warming to watch. It helped me to believe in hope ("You know, good-byes aren't forever."). In my heart, at least, I know that Charlie is still in Heaven, and Anne-Marie (and Itchy) will see him again one day! Don't waste your time with this sequel . . .see the original classic. _That_ movie will warm your heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okey sequel, May 18 2004
J. P. Suhr "Slagar" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
It has been many years since I last saw this. It is not as imapropriate as the first one was. I recomend this two kidges 8 and up. Has some scary intense moment in it but not as bad as the first one was. If you are very religious person you do not want to watch this film because it makes fun of the Christian religion.
The evil scareface returns. Thank the lord the kept the King Gator out of the sequel instead they replaced him with and evil cat who scarred the crap out of me. I was abut maybe 12 the last time I saw this. It was on Disney channel on day a couple of years ago. But it was on a school day so I could not watch it.
I highly recommend you don't see An All dogs Christmas Carol because it is the worst of them. It is to mushy and has very few intese party in it. That plush Bladona Anabels evil sister is theevilist but Dubiest Villian I would rather she Charles Lee Ray, Leprechuan and Wishmaster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Follow Up from the Original., Jan. 28 2002
More than Fifty Years later... When a nasty bulldog named Scarface (Voiced by Ernest Borgnine, Replacing by Vic Tayback from the Original-Who Died in 1990) to Steal Gabriel`s Horn, which allows entry through Heaven`s gates. When the Horn falls into Earth. Charlie (Voiced by Charlie Sheen, Replacing Burt Reyonlds) and his best friend Itchy (Voiced by Dom DeLuise) are sent back to earth to get back Gabriel`s Horn to stop Scarface and Prevent the Evil Red from turning Alcatraz into a dark, eternal Dog Pound!
Directed by Larry Leker & Paul Sebella made an light, entertaining Sequel to the Original but The only thing missing in this film is the Great Lush Animation of the Superior Original. This Sequel is Decent and often Very Funny. Some might love this over the Original. It`s only depend of your tastes. But Burt Reyondls, who voiced in the Original-All Dogs Goes to Heaven is sorely missed. A film for all ages. Grade:B+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dogs have 2 lifes..., March 1 2002
Antti Maatta (Hameenlinna, Finland) - See all my reviews
What would we do without sequels? There are good sequels (3/10) and then there are bad sequels (7/10). So does All Dogs Go To Heaven 2 deserve a growl or a happy bark? Hmm...
The film itself gives the viewer nice looking animation, songs and introduces new characters. Okay so that's fine. The animation however is not as catchy (or dark) as it was in All Dogs Go To Heaven 1 and therefore the characters look a bit different. The first film had songs integrated in it and so does this one. Although in the original film had doggies singing the songs too I find the singing dogs in All Dogs Go To Heaven 2 to be a little corny. The songs are nice however. New characters are fine too and Charlie Sheen's voice fits Charlie okay.
Since I love the first film I also like this one very much. If you liked the first film then go ahead and get this one. All Dogs deserve a second chance you know =)

1.0 out of 5 stars All Dogs 2 was disappointing, Sept. 16 2000
This review is from: All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (VHS Tape)
Don't get me wrong, I loved the first All Dogs movie. But All Dogs 2 just didn't make sense. {Spoilers} In the sequel, Annabelle and the other angelic dogs used a horn to "call all the dogs" up to heaven (I assume). If they needed the horn to bring newly deceased dogs up, why wasn't it seen in the first movie when Charlie died? Also, only Itchy's voice was the same. They did a pretty bad job matching Charlie's and Annabelle's. I mean, Annie's voice actually ANNOYED me! And Sasha.. don't get me started. I always thought Charlie and Flo (the Collie from the first movie) were a cute couple. If anyone is considering buying this movie, I WOULD NOT recomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent film, July 2 2001
TRBowler (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this dvd for the kids and i got quite into it,it's a lot better than the first which i had seen on tv 1 christmas. There where funny bits, sad bits and a happy ending the kids love it they watched the film 4 times a week for a month they know the songs off by heart. I thought it was a good idea to keep all the original characters in it but they also managed to introduce some new ones, which add to the plot so i wont go on too much. If u liked the first this is a must and oh did i forget to mention the kids love it as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel to the best movie ever...., July 29 2001
Personally, I found this movie to be one of my favorites. It's colorful, well animated andsongfilled. However, I can still point out quite a few mistakes. Firstly, it's nothing at all like the first one. (the animation, the storyline, the characters etc.) Secondly, its a bit to modern day, judging how the first one took place: 1939 and this one: 1996 Overall though, its a very well written, well animated adventure that I truly reccomend for the entire family.

All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 [Blu-ray]