5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice and deeply moving songs
Published on Sept. 5 2011 by R. Mckown

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Hard' review to Write
I'm a BIG, big fan yet I'm disappointed. The songs just don't do it for me -they seem to lack emotion (a no-no for this lady) -except the song for Kate McGarrigle.
They just don't have the images to tug at my heart strings like previous efforts.

Published on May 20 2011 by Robert C. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice and deeply moving songs, Sept. 5 2011
R. Mckown (Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
"Hard Bargain" is an album that combines Emmylou Harris's wonderfully evocative voice with songs that she has written which touch my heart me every time I listen to them. My personal favourites are her beautifully affirmative "The Ship on His Arm" (I am also from a military family and my Mom was at home with my sister and I while my Dad was in Korea) and her gentle, wistful, "Goodnight Old World". I also find "Darlin' Kate", "Lonely Girl" and "Nobody" particularly moving, maybe because I am almost the same age as Ms Harris. In fact I found every song in the set to have its attractions, such as "Big Black Dog", an apparently light-hearted song with a serious message which (via a YouTube video of Ms Harris describing the background of the song) made me aware of her dog rescue shelter "Bonaparte's Retreat" and her efforts in promoting "no-kill" policies for companion animals. This is a lady whose songs and work show her to have a beautiful heart as well as a beautiful voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than recent releases but far from her best, June 3 2011
Eric Lawton (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hard Bargain (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, Emmylou's voice is no longer what it used to be. Since she started off ahead of the pack, and with experience became one of the world's greatest singers of contemporary songs, even an older Emmylou Harris can still sing better than most of the recent popular singers.
She has tried some less mainstream styles with heavier instrumentation recently, which complemented the now rougher edge to her voice which I found interesting but liked them less than her more usual folk-country albums, and this takes a few steps back toward her earlier style.
Still a good buy for those of us who already have all her early and mid-career works and want to hear more; you won't be disappointed. But if you still don't have Red Dirt Girl, Quarter Moon in..Ten Cent Town, Luxury Liner (Expanded) or Last Date, I would start there. (I just noticed while looking it up that "Last Date" is rather expensive so I'm glad I got it at normal prices, but it's worth it just for her version of Springstein's "Racing In the Street", my all-time favourite Emmylou Harris track.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Hard' review to Write, May 20 2011
Robert C. Jones (Laurentiens, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Bargain (Audio CD)

Maybe its due to the fact that Ms. Harris wrote most of them and she's usually good for only a few gems of her own per album.

Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, April 28 2011
This review is from: Hard Bargain (Audio CD)
This CD is among the best she's done in the last few years. Just awesome. Can't think of any better words.

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, May 29 2011
This review is from: Hard Bargain (Audio CD)
It doesn't have the punch, of say, Red Dirt Girl, and sometimes the music is too bassey and diverts your attention.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to parr, June 22 2011
Johnny Boy "Ivan" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
The cd is not up to her usual standard and I am a big fan but the dvd is terrible.Not the singer's fault but I am returning both.

Hard Bargain
Hard Bargain by Emmylou Harris (Audio CD - 2011)