summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 5, 2011
"Hard Bargain" is an album that combines Emmylou Harris's wonderfully evocative voice with songs that she has written which touch my heart me every time I listen to them. My personal favourites are her beautifully affirmative "The Ship on His Arm" (I am also from a military family and my Mom was at home with my sister and I while my Dad was in Korea) and her gentle, wistful, "Goodnight Old World". I also find "Darlin' Kate", "Lonely Girl" and "Nobody" particularly moving, maybe because I am almost the same age as Ms Harris. In fact I found every song in the set to have its attractions, such as "Big Black Dog", an apparently light-hearted song with a serious message which (via a YouTube video of Ms Harris describing the background of the song) made me aware of her dog rescue shelter "Bonaparte's Retreat" and her efforts in promoting "no-kill" policies for companion animals. This is a lady whose songs and work show her to have a beautiful heart as well as a beautiful voice.
on May 20, 2011
I'm a BIG, big fan yet I'm disappointed. The songs just don't do it for me -they seem to lack emotion (a no-no for this lady) -except the song for Kate McGarrigle.
They just don't have the images to tug at my heart strings like previous efforts.

Maybe its due to the fact that Ms. Harris wrote most of them and she's usually good for only a few gems of her own per album.

Bob
on June 3, 2011
Unfortunately, Emmylou's voice is no longer what it used to be. Since she started off ahead of the pack, and with experience became one of the world's greatest singers of contemporary songs, even an older Emmylou Harris can still sing better than most of the recent popular singers.
She has tried some less mainstream styles with heavier instrumentation recently, which complemented the now rougher edge to her voice which I found interesting but liked them less than her more usual folk-country albums, and this takes a few steps back toward her earlier style.
Still a good buy for those of us who already have all her early and mid-career works and want to hear more; you won't be disappointed. But if you still don't have Red Dirt Girl,Quarter Moon in..Ten Cent Town,Luxury Liner (Expanded) or Last Date, I would start there. (I just noticed while looking it up that "Last Date" is rather expensive so I'm glad I got it at normal prices, but it's worth it just for her version of Springstein's "Racing In the Street", my all-time favourite Emmylou Harris track.
on September 23, 2015
Good CD. Not as good as the live show but it'll do.
on April 28, 2011
This CD is among the best she's done in the last few years. Just awesome. Can't think of any better words.
on June 22, 2011
The cd is not up to her usual standard and I am a big fan but the dvd is terrible.Not the singer's fault but I am returning both.
on May 29, 2011
It doesn't have the punch, of say, Red Dirt Girl, and sometimes the music is too bassey and diverts your attention.