4.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST FILM OF THE MARX BROTHERS.
What do Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and the Marx Brothers have in common? They never said a vulgar joke, and, oh yeah, all of them are legends and created some of the funniest movies of all time.
Published on Feb. 12 2004 by Alejandro Cortes

3.0 out of 5 stars what did I do
What did I do buying this film. Not a funny film just grindingly long. It had its funny moments and scenes though that are very good.
Published 1 month ago by md

3.0 out of 5 stars what did I do, March 6 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST FILM OF THE MARX BROTHERS., Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (DVD)
Well, "Duck Soup" is the funniest movie that the Marx brothers ever did. The movie is packed with hilarious dialogue, wacky scenes, unforgettable comedic sequences, and smart satire.
What comedic styles appear in "Duck Soup"? You name it: it has slapstick, satire, physical gags, smart one-liners, smart elaborated jokes, musical humor, etc, etc, etc. If you haven't seen a Marx Brothers film, please, do yourself a favor and go watch "Duck Soup". By the time the final credits appear on screen, you will get rid of your "American Pie" DVD's (if you have one), you will trash your Adam Sandler collection (if you have it). Well, I'm only joking, bottom line: the Marx Bros. are the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedy classic that still holds up..., July 3 2004
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (DVD)
My two favorite comedies of all time are "Duck Soup" and "Airplane." Don't agree with "Airplane?" I have a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it!
Anyway, few people will dispute that "Duck Soup" is one of the funniest movies ever made. So many classic lines and zany moments; this is the Marx Brothers at the peak of their powers. It was made in the 30's, but holds up extremely well. That makes it a timeless movie. Never boring or corny. I swear the whole hat gag has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
So... when can we expect a reissue on DVD, Paramount/Universal?

3.0 out of 5 stars Duck Soup, Nov. 30 2011
This review is from: Duck Soup (DVD)
I had heard a lot about this movie so ordered it because of favorable stories about it. I enjoyed it but wish I had researched the significance and history of it before I watched it and I think it would have made more sense to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's a 'title'?, Nov. 29 2011
Richard B. Young (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck Soup (DVD)
I don't have time to give a review that it at least 20 words long. What's wrong with just giving a star rating?

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Region 1 release?, July 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (DVD)
I don't need to gush over how great this movie is, plenty of customers have already done that. Warner Brothers did the Marx Brother's justice with their five DVD set of seven films with loads of special features. Granted that set is of their later films but isn't it time their early movies got the same treatment? Great collections of their early films are available in R2 and R4 formats, why not R1? Any answer? Universal Studios?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny (Ruble), May 31 2004
V.I Lenin (Lenin's Summer Dacha, Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (DVD)
My good friend K.M (Karl Marx recommended this movie to me a while ago (back in 1933 about nine years after my premature death)
Now I have it on DVD and I can still say that I find this movie just as great as I did back 70 years ago.
Groucho and his ilk (The other brothers) continue (even in death) to represent the gold standard of comedy.
Despite my untimely death I still find that this movie makes me laugh like no other.
Oh by the way Groucho, Karl told me that your Mom wanted you to pick up a gallon of milk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail, Hail Freedonia!, Dec 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (VHS Tape)
This movie makes me HOWL with laughter! The only bad thing about this movie is that Chico and Harpo don` t have an encounter with two certain instruments. Other than that, this movie is flawless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waiter! Waiter! There's A Duck In My Soup!, Nov. 12 2003
Alex Udvary (chicago, il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (VHS Tape)
Rufus T. Firefly - Not that I care, but where is your husband?
Mrs. Teasdale - Why, he's dead.
Rufus T. Firefly - I bet he's just using that as an excuse.
Mrs. Teasdale - I was with him to the very end.
Rufus T. Firefly - No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale - I held him in my arms and kissed him.
Rufus T. Firefly - Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.
This is an exchange between Groucho and Margaret Dumont. "Duck Soup" is probably one of the "fastest" comedies of all-time. More so than any other Marx Brother movie, and that's saying a lot. Notice how every bit of dialogue Groucho has is a wise-crack.
What I love about watching the Marx Brothers is how just about nothing makes sense. The plots seem to get in the way of their movies. Its as if it's slowing them down. Just give them room and let them do what they want. And that's just about what seems to be going on in this movie. Every scene revolves around one of the four brothers (This is Zeppo's last film). This was also the last time that would happen since "Duck Soup" bombed at the box-office.
"Duck Soup" starts off with Freedonia, a small country on the verge of banruptcy due to it's spending half of Mrs. Teasdale's (Dumont) fortune of 40 million dollars. She agrees the only way she will offer more money to the country is if they agree to Rufus T. Firefly as its new leader. Put in a corner they agree and G-d will they be sorry in the end.
If there is one problem with "Duck Soup" most fans of the Marx Brothers will agree on is the fact Chico and Harpo are not allowed to play the piano and harp. Those two things have become fixures in their films.
"Duck Soup" is a comedy those not familiar with the Marx Brothers will enjoy. It may turn you into a fan. You'll be so impressed with the wise-cracks and crazy antics of the brothers. And than there's the famous "mirror" scene. Which most people seem to think originated here. But, no, it was used in a Charlie Chaplin short from 1916 entitled "The Floorwalker".
Bottom-line: One of the "fastest" comedies of all-time. The Marx brothers are at their zany best. One of their best films!

5.0 out of 5 stars Souperb!, Oct. 28 2003
Tony Hughes "stellarossa" (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck Soup [Import] (DVD)
This particular Marx Brothers movie deserves special mention as it doesn't feature much of Zeppo but loads of Margaret Dumont. And the mirror routine of course. Enough said.

ARRAY(0xb60b1f18)