5.0 out of 5 stars The best in its pricepoint EDIT: was! Don't buy now!
Update June 2014:

I cannot believe some marketplace sellers are taking advantage of my review and upping the price to over $300 for this device. DO NOT BUY IT!! Unless you see it on sale for around $50, this is an outdated device, with NO support (from the manufacturer OR the community anymore), and it is NOT worth it.

Mine is still working well...
Published on Aug. 26 2011 by M. Codas Echavarri

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Upgradeable
Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase. I only gave it three stars because after researching it for some time, I was under the distinct impression that the operating system would be upgraded. LePan support staff say: " This OS is not upgradable to anything beyond 2.2. Le Pan plans to release a new tablet with a new OS that will come out early next year." Also, do...
Published on Nov. 21 2011 by Anita

‹ Previous | 1 2 352 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinosaur No More, Dec 4 2011
This review is from: Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS (Personal Computers)
For the past couple of years I wondered what all the hype was about. To me "touch screens" seemed unproductive, just another marketing gimmick, I'll stick with my mouse, win7, and my full size keyboard, besides my thumbs were just too big for these devices. I was a dinosaur and liked it! Been that way since my first Vic-20 (1982).

All of that changed a week ago, "I'm a dinosaur no more". After reading the reviews for the Lepan TC 970, and $169 price (I spend more than that on some ink cartridges), I bought one.

After charging it up, and reading the manual, I turned it on, nice resolution, plenty of preloaded apps, not too bad so far. I turned on the wifi, and it easily picked up my SSID, and connected. I started up the browser, and noticed it was very slow, what's going on? After many hours of troubleshooting, I read about the WPA2 problems, so I then reconfigured my router to WEP, but same thing it would connect and then disconnect. I then checked out some posts of other people with the same problem, but no real solutions. So I started trying different router configurations, then BINGO, using WPA Personal, BG Mixed and 3600 sec, key renewal it worked! A stable connection -57dbm (100%), downloaded WiFi Analytics to monitor the signal, never lost it again.

Discovered the "Market", amazing place, download apps for free? ARE YOU KIDDING! never heard of anything like this before. It not only downloads these apps in lightening speed, it installs them and automatically updates them, amazing stuff to me. Voice commands, GPS built in, Google Earth, Google Maps, Navigator, all good stuff. I wouldn't want to be in the handheld GPS business!

RECOMMENDATION: Best thing I ever bought, best value, fun, usefulness, if you are thinking about it don't, just buy it. Also battery last a VERY long time.
NEGATIVE POINTS: 1. Minor stuff, but these tablets are made for "right handed" people. Meaning I instinctively pick it up with my right hand, and hen peck with my left, but that means I'm always pressing some button accidentally, because that's where the buttons are. Ok you think just turn it upside down which is what I did but it seems unnatural.
2. Screen is highly reflective and get covered with fingerprints quickly, I ordered a screen protector so this may help.

Kudos to the LEPAN team for designing such an amazing value/performance based tablet. Also Amazon for the best place to research anything!

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, April 27 2012
Usually i don't do review, but the poor quality really motivated me to write this. In short, after less than 5 month light use (less than 8 hrs per week), it refused to charge, it refused to turn on.. when asking for service, i was told to ship it to California on my expense. With poor performance, frequent freezing, i give it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with purchase, Dec 18 2011
I was looking for something inexpensive and good quality...hard to find both until I found this. I am not a heavy user of technical products; however, still need something to can meet my every day needs. I was most amazed that this product is literaly useable out of the box. It was also fully charged! I found it easy to use, the screen is very high resolution. I already have a laptop and netbook so I was more interested in something very portable. I was at first concerned because I had never really heard of the brand but with the price I paid, I was willing to take a risk...and it paid off. I am sure there are many heavy users who have more technical backgrounds and uses but for someone who just wants easy of use, comfort and inexpensive, I am very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont think about it, March 7 2012
dear all
pls pls think 100 times before getting one of those piece of junks !!!!
the customer service is so bad and the 1 year warranty is just a silly joke !!!
they dont answer the phone and it took them 3 days to answer my e-mails and after registernig on their website and got a case number i waited for another 2
or 3 days to be told i have to pay $150 and they will send me a new one !!!
my advise is to choose another brand of tabs.
thanks

hoomy

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great right out of the box - Worth every penny, Jan. 15 2012
February 15, 2012 - UPDATE - Now that I've had my tablet for about 6 weeks I feel I'm in a better position to update my review. Everything I said below is still true. My tablet is still very responsive, I've watched TV shows and movie trailers without issues, listened to music, created and edited documents, I even updated my work website on the fly. The only complaint I have is the weight. It's heavy compared to the name brands but for what I use it for it's really not an issue for me.

This tablet is on sale again for $199 and if you're considering getting it, don't hesitate. It's WELL WORTH the price.

January 9, 2012 - I've been researching tablets for about six months now and I have to say I could not justify paying $400 - $600 for the other tablets. I came across the Le Pan accidentally and want to say thanks to everyone for all the reviews. Good and bad they were all very helpful in making my decision so here's my two cents worth.....

I know some people had issues but my tablet works great right out of the box. I had it set up and running with some of my favorite apps within minutes. It's very responsive, battery life is nothing short of amazing and is a solidly built tablet.

The Good
Setting up wi-fi - I read some people had issues with this but mine was a breeze. I also sync'd with my Firefox browser and connected the tablet to my Galaxy S Android phone so I don't need a separate data plan for the tablet, I can just share the data plan on my phone while I'm on the go.

The display - the 9.7 inch display is breathtakingly beautiful and is a much more convenient size/shape than the rectangular screens on the other much more expensive tablets. In this case it's hip to be square, there's so much more room to scroll and view information.

It plays YouTube video's without any additional plugins.

Android - I had read the reviews and knew this tablet came with Froyo. That might be an issue for some people however I find it does all that I need it to do. If you're using it for work purposes then Froyo may not be for you. It does have a few limitations and some apps may not be compatible. I use OliveOffice (available in the app market) and I find this tablet is perfect for my work needs. I'm able to edit and save documents as if I was at my computer. It also comes with a PDF viewer so viewing documents shouldn't be an issue either.

Sound is fantastic for such a small device. They certainly didn't skimp on this feature.

I use Gmail so my email setup took seconds. I also use Dropbox (available at the app market) so the 2GB SD card should suffice for me. If you're a heavy user and have lots of files I'd recommend buying a larger SD card.

The Bad
I really don't have much to complain about except maybe the power button. Depending on the orientation it's bottom right or top right. Top right is obviously not a problem but in the portrait orientation you could accidentally hit it occasionally.

It only has a front camera, with such a beautiful tablet it's too bad they didn't include a rear camera.

The screen is a fingerprint magnet but what do you expect it's a "Touch screen" my complaint is about the cloth they included. It's way too small to clean the screen. Do yourself a favor and buy a bigger one.

It does not come with a case, I've read some people have adapted other cases to fit and that the iPad case is a good alternative. For my tablet, I plan on making one myself. There's a great "how to" article on PC World called "Make your own tablet case". Google it or go to PC World and do a search.

Conclusion
I paid $179 and it's worth every penny. Even at the current $219 price I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this tablet. I can not see a difference between this device and the other more well known tablets except for the name and I'm not willing to shell out $400 more just so I can have a brand name product.

I've shopped on Amazon many times and I love knowing that if there's any issue's with a product there's no jumping through flaming hoops to return it like with other places. Amazon's reputation is probably the only reason I even considered a no-name brand tablet instead of the more expensive brand name ones.

Bottom line is: If you're like me and looking for a descent tablet but don't want to pay two or three times more then you have to then get the Le Pan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Dec 7 2011
I bought it for $169. Everything good for the price. But only one thing makes me returning it back. The screen keeps on freezing itself. Only reset button can get it back. Searched web for the solution. Re-installed the latest firmware. It doesn't help. Contact their support. But no further suggestion other than that. Maybe just a special case for my item. But from their support website, looks like they have this frozen screen issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for the price, Oct. 16 2011
I have used tablet for 5 days now. I found some good and bad things with the tablet. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase.

PRO
- Good screen size and resolution
- Quality of materials is good for the price
- Good battery life

CON
- Single core processor shows limitation with web browsing. Scrolling is not smooth and viewing regular (non-mobile) websites can be very slow at times. I used my wife's dual core LG Optimus 2X Android smartphone as a comparison.
- I experienced a lot of programs crashing. I could blame Android for these crashes, but I can't be sure.
- WIFI antenna is not very good and seems flaky. It sometimes does not get full reception even when the tablet is 2 meters away from the router. All my other wifi computers/phones get full reception. Additionally, the WIFI will occasionally drop for no good reason.
- Tablet resets are required. I have had to reset my tablet two times already. As others have mentioned in other reviews, I also plan on carrying around a toothpick or paper clip for future resets.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Le Pan"? That just about sums up my review., Dec 14 2011
My 14 year old daughter dropped a pretty penny one one of these (around $280 back in Sept. 2011, before a recent substantial price drop.) It worked great for a few weeks. Then suddenly one day it wouldn't power on. We assumed it wasn't charging. Turns out it "just" had to be reset (by sticking a pin in the little pinhole in the back of the device). But this kept on happening. Amazon Canada was AMAZING and agreed to contact the manufacturer for us; but it basically told Amazon that we were out of luck. Can you believe it?! Talk about a lack of product support: Feeling you can even tell AMAZON where it can go! Anyway, Amazon shipped us a replacement, at their own expense, telling us to send them the 1st one back. It arrived but... SAME PROBLEM! We had to hit the reset practically every time we wanted to turn it on. Fortunately the mensches at Amazon agreed to take both tablets back, offering my desolate daughter a full refund. Now our search for a replacement (from a competitor) begins...

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality problem, Feb. 3 2012
I bought 9 of these over a period of 1 month at the sale price with free shipping. Three of them would work for a few times and then would not startup again. I manager to reset 1 of the 3 and it start to work properly. The other two were sent back to Amazon using their shipping label but it took another 2 weeks to get me 2 new one. Fortunately, the 2 new one work.
The material and design of the tablet is excellent and can compare to the Ipad. Even though it is Android 2.2 and a slower processor, it work perfectly and fast enough for almost everything. The best part of the tablet is the touch screen, it is nice and bright and reponsive to touch. I found that this tablet give me a better user experience than the IPAD becasue of its extra touch buttons. At around the same price of the Kindle fire, it can do a lot more. You can add a Textme APP and now you can text using Wifi for free. It has blue tooth built in but will not work with Bluetooth keyborad that is design for Ipad. Battery life is long and power management work really well and tablet can still turn on after sitting for 3 days in my car. Overall, it is worth the money that we paid for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, Dec 7 2011
TurkeyVegas "Steve" (Turkey Point Ontario) - See all my reviews
I've played with this for a few days now - it's a great deal for the money.
Pros - standard Android features means simple, intuitive use, good battery life, great overall user experience.

There is no USB port, but that's easy enough to work around - stream content to the tablet using bluetooth or simply remove the micro-sd and transfer files to it on your home computer (I bought a 32 gig card to go with this unit). This unit is NOT upgradeable to a newer operating system - but Le Pan is clear about this - no problem with me.

I'd buy another tablet like this in a heartbeat!
*You can transfer files using the power connector - 32 pin-USB*.

‹ Previous | 1 2 352 | Next ›