Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

The late Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy was all about cruelty towards women -- and the movie adaptations don't hold back either. These are bleak, dark thrillers filled with razor-sharp social commentary, bloody action and conspiracies -- and brilliant performances by Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace.

In "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," take-no-prisoners journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) has just lost his reputation, his savings and his freedom (hello, jail sentence!) after a nasty libel suit from an executive named Wennerström.

Then he's unexpectedly contacted by aged industrialist Henrik Vanger, to discover what happened to the guy's grandniece. He's offering evidence on Wennerström, so Mikael has no choice but to accept -- and as he investigates the sinister Vanger family, he joins forces with Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), an eccentric, abused computer hacker. And as Mikael unearths the clues to Harriet's disappearance, he also finds some skeletons long kept buried.

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" finds Mikael investigating sex trafficking in his own country, and young girls who are sold into it. Unknown to him, Lisbeth is keeping very close tabs on his work -- especially since she was abused as a child, and now plots revenge on the sex traffickers. But when she's accused of murder and ends up on the run, Mikael must discover what lies at the core of these crimes...

And finally, "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest": Lisbeth has been shot in the head, her malevolent father Zalachenko is in the same hospital claiming that she tried to kill him, and some nasty government forces want her locked away, as she was as a child. Her only hope lies in Mikael, who must unravel a government conspiracy formed around the young hacker...

"The Stieg Larsson Trilogy" takes the usual mystery/thriller plots and promptly turns them on their heads. They take place in a dark, dangerous, unfair world where the truth is quashed and women are treated horribly -- and no one more so than the eccentric, angry "girl with the dragon tattoo."

And the movies translate Larsson's novels beautifully. Niels Arden Oplev gives a raw, bone-chilling power to the first movie; Daniel Alfredson doesn't have quite the same kinetic touch, but both men do brilliant jobs with their films. And they weave in some horribly disturbing scenes (the ghastly, helpless rape of Lisbeth by her corrupt "guardian" -- followed by a gleefully horrific scene where she gets her revenge).

And Mikael and Salander make an intriguing odd couple -- Nyquist's journalist starts world-weary and demoralized that he seems to care about nothing, but regains his passion for the truth. And Rapace is absolutely electric as Lisbeth, who is one of the most devastatingly brilliant characters in modern cinema -- she's a wild, bleeding creature hiding her bruises behind a mask of piercings and jet-dyed hair, and whose torn-up heart begins to heal when she meets Mikael.

"The Steig Larsson Trilogy" is a powerful trio of movies that never stops hitting you in the gut when you least expect it. Absolutely brilliant.
on December 10, 2011
I had read the books and then learned that this trilogy was available. My husband (who had not read the books)and I watched them, one each night and became very immersed in the story. The movies are very close to the book, which is an unusual happening in Hollywood. There was the additional element of the powerful Swedish dramatic cinematic delivery that has held true from Bergman to today.
A bonus was the fact that we could choose either Swedish vocals with English subtitles or in English only. We watched the first two in Swedish and the last movie in English. I prefer hearing the Swedish language (it becomes natural to read the subtitles); my husband preferred the movies in English.
on December 20, 2011
The trilogy, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is IN-credible...............beautifully, professionally, artistically presented.............Nonstop action which means those subtitles whirl past with lightening me, you don't want to take your eyes off the screen.........can't wait to see how the original film(s) and the soon-to-be-released American version compare.............I'd bet the original will win.....................
on July 31, 2011
These movies are outstanding! I read all the books and naturally wanted to watch the movies as well. I was not disappointed at all. The story was exactly true to the books and the actors did a wonderful job to bring the characters to life. I watched it in the original Swedish with english subtitles. I preferred it that way because for me it made it more believable. I can really recommend it to anybody!!
on May 24, 2014
I found the trilogy to be compact and easy to view. It had subtitle options for English which I used. The movies themselves are very good and enjoyable (I had already read the books). I suppose certain scenes can seem random and odd if one has not read the books but overall quite enjoyable and well packaged.
on October 10, 2012
Haven't seen all of the episodes but from what I've seen already this series appears to be well paced, which creates much more tension than the Hollywood version. I'm watching with English dialogue, which takes some getting used to. The overall effect is one of cheesiness and unmatched voices, however I intend on going back and viewing it in Swedish with English subtitles. The casting so far, (episode one disc one) has been strong and nothing seems to have been distorted from the novel...that's all for now folks...
on April 19, 2012
I watched all three in one sitting. On the edge of my seat the whole time. Then I read the books. I was surprised at how true to the story the two directors stayed. Unlike most Hollywood movies made from novels. I also watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hollywood version. Kind of a pale copy. I can't help wondering why Hollywood steals ideas from the filmmakers from other countries, then makes a bad copy.
on October 24, 2013
I loved the books for the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy and decided to see how the movies were in comparison to the books. Most of my family had read the books so we all looked forward to viewing the DVD's. We all loved them. Would highly recommend to anyone even though they are dubbed in English. Thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of the movies. Actually we liked the first one better the english version that came out last year.
on January 6, 2012
I will recommend this trilogy to anyone who loves a mixture of drama , action and mystery. It is entertaining and will keep you on your seat the whole time. I learned that the author died and saddened by this. Quite hoping that there will be another book for a future movie sequel..I did not read the book and only watched the movies but friends of mine claimed that the book was really good.
on January 22, 2014
This original set of movies was much better than I had anticipated. You really got into the movie even though you had to read the subtitles. It is far better than the English version made later. All 3 movies lead into each other and it makes it hard not to see the next part right away. I will watch it several times to see what I missed the last time I watched it.