5.0 out of 5 stars Canada's Private Ryan - they got it right this time - an American reviewer, Feb. 8 2012
Samuel B. King "Sam King" (Concord, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
I was anxious to see this film, my late father having served in 420 squadron, RCAF. However, whenever I purchase films on the topic of war, especially those written by Canadian or European film makers, I tread very cautiously, being aware of the rampant anti-military sentiment among the film communities in those countries. However, my misgivings were not warranted. The film is a just celebration of the courage of, not only Canadians who served, but of all allied soldiers who joined to fight the fascism of the 20th century. Canada's veterans, those few WW2 vets remaining (I lost my father last year at 92), deserve to be revered and respected as "heroes". The story follows three soldiers, a member of Canada's Airborne regiment, a commander of a Sherman tank and an infantryman. The action is taught, the dialogue (though stiff at times) is acceptable and the equipment/technology accurate for the period. Stens, Lee Enfields and Tommy guns for the Canadians and accurate portrayals of German weaponry and uniforms. I was pleased to see that they got the Canadian helmets right (Canadians wore distinctive helmets, slightly different from the British, at Normandy for the first time). They also got the airborne equipment right. My only quibble in this respect was the aircraft which delivered the troops (some modified version of a B25 bomber). They should have got it correct (either a Dakota or Halifax - since it was all CGI anyway, they could have gotten that right). The film is a fitting tribute to those who fought in the Normandy campaign - Canada having not been given nearly as much credit as it deserved. God bless the veterans for saving the world and congratulations to the film makers for making such a moving tribute. This film should be seen by anyone interested in history, western heritage and those interested particularly in the war against fascism, either during World War 2 or the current struggle where Canadians, Americans and Brits serve side by side.

5.0 out of 5 stars the canadian part of normandy landings, June 29 2011
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
storming 'juno' is a very good story about the part that the canadians take place in normandy landings is a part documentery part reenactement (very well in making).it is worth to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Aug. 31 2011
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
I visited Juno Beach in 2008. This film is really super. I was hoping that some of the soldiers were from the Winnipeg area. Nevertheless I am quite happy with my purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Finally! OUR story on D-Day! We WERE there you know!, June 8 2011
Book Buff (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
I was so impressed with this work! Even more so that my Dad's ship (HMCS Prince David) was featured so prominently at the beginning of this film! Documentary of the Highest Order! I get choked up seeing real stories about Canadians in the World! D-Day was a day of high achievement and high losses in this effort. I highly recommend to anyone - but especially to Canadians! We were VERY good at this awful business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. About time Canada's participation is acknowledged, June 27 2011
James Vanier "North of 49" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
With a great deal of courage, Canada did proud on 6 June 1944. It is good to remind the world occasionally that it was not only a British/American affair. Canada had 1 of 5 beaches as an objective and they succeeded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie from Canadian point of view. Not classic like "Saving Private Ryan"., April 12 2014
This review is from: Storming Juno [Import] (DVD)
The movie was good with real-life battle footage mixed in. My American uncle, a WW2 vet, especially liked the interviews with the Canadian vets at the end. I would recommend this movie for all, especially history buffs.
On a personal note, the producers concentrated on the landing of the Regina Rifles, I would have liked to have them at least mention some of the other Canadian regiments that landed on the first wave, like the Queens' Own Rifles of Canada and the Winnipeg Rifles.
They also had high casualties. God Bless all the vets.

5.0 out of 5 stars What defines Canadian Patriotism?, Nov. 14 2013
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
America this is the definitive movie that answers this question and defines who we are.Made at one of the most beautiful beaches in Canada; Sauble Beach.Simply an amazing story brought to the viewer from the detailed stories of three of its soldiers.The comments from its surviving veterans is truly haunting in respect to the freedoms we have today.Hats off to the cast of actors and the documentary footage dispersed through out this film.Don't miss this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars D-DAY, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
THIS PROGRAMS IS SPECIFIC TO ONE UNIT OF THE CANADIAN ARMY. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING IF A FRENCH CANADIAN UNIT HAD ALSO BEEN INCLUDED INSTEAD OF THE TOKEN FRENCHMAN.

I LOVED THE STORYLINE BUT IT IS NOT HOLLYWOOOD STYLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Amphibious tanks!, July 3 2012
This review is from: Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) (DVD)
My husband & I were fascinated how all the forces were co-ordinated for D-Day and we thought this was a good film. This was the first I've ever heard about the amphibious tanks! I bought 2 DVDs as gifts for 2 veterans who were there on D-Day. I wish I had asked my father where he was on D-Day. This story comments that the Canadian forces were assigned some of the toughest targets because they had proved to be so tenacious. I thought this film was a compliment to the Canadians who fought.

ARRAY(0xbabf1138)

Storming Juno / └ l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual)
Storming Juno / À l'assaut de Juno (Bilingual) by Tim Wolochatiuk (DVD - 2011)
CDN$ 19.99