4.0 out of 5 stars "So we look pretty weird to you...", Sept. 1 2011
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Somehow, even though I've been a Twisted Sister fan since 1984, I have never heard Under The Blade all the way through, and never in its original version. In my defence, even the remixed version has been very difficult to find on CD.

Now, thanks to this great series of Twisted reissues, I have finally heard Under The Blade, and as an added bonus, the Ruff Cuts EP as well! The original cover art has also been restored.

Under the Blade serves as a brutal reminder that Twisted Sister were and are a heavy metal band, before the MTV hits happened. No ballads, the only slow moment is the intro to "Run For Your Life" which soon hits the gas and takes off at breakneck speed. Like a cross between early Kiss, Cooper, Sabbath and Priest, Under The Blade is an aural assault. The assault is assisted by a brutally ragtag heavy production and mix, frayed at the edges and certainly way too heavy for kids weaned on autotune today.

Elsewhere, more melodic fare like "Bad Boys (of Rock and Roll)" and "Shoot 'Em Down" plot the way for the more commercial years about to unfold.

And of course, the Ruff Cuts, issued for the first time on CD. These four songs were among the first Sister releases (preceded by the "I'll Never Grow Up, Now!" single which is not here). These Ruff Cuts are, well, rough. But this is what put initially put Sister on the map, and I'm glad to have it, even if I never need to hear "Leader of the Pack" ever again.

The CD is topped off by a live track from a Reading sampler and some liner notes explaining to you that Twisted Sister really, honestly, truly, ARE a heavy metal band.

Production is by Pete Way (UFO), and Fast Eddie Clarke (Motorhead) takes a guest guitar solo.

DVD of the Reading show is included! Rock and roll!

4 stars. Arguably the best album they ever made!

4.0 out of 5 stars "So we look pretty weird to you...", Sept. 1 2011
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under the Blade: Special Edition (Audio CD)

DVD of the Reading show is included! Rock and roll!

4 stars. Arguably the best album they ever made!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album, Jan. 7 2004
This review is from: Under the Blade (Audio CD)
My favorite band when I was a kid. This is their best album. It has a 70's punk/metal feel.
My favorite lyric ("Tear it Loose"): "I'm grabbin' hold of all the gold in this old world of trash."
I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about - the original, Secret Records mix is tinny and horrible. The Atlantic mix (overseen by Mark Mendoza) is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars my fav Twisted Sister album, June 14 2004
This review is from: Under the Blade (Audio CD)
This is probly the best Twisted Sister album made. The songs are heavy and pissed off. The standout songs are "bad boys of rock n roll", "sin after sin", "shoot em down" and "Tear it Loose". "what you don't know, sure can hurt you" does'nt sound right in the studio thought
never the less, this is a great kick ass Rock album, If your an SMF you need this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Cut WAS the Best, Oct. 30 2003
mattyd (Danvers, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under the Blade (Audio CD)
I totally agree with the other reviewers - The re-issue is too over-produced. The original cut which I believe was recorded in England, was totally raw and if you can find that copy, please get it instead of the re-issue. This is the Twisted Sister I fell in love with as a teenager and who inspired me to play guitar which I still do to this day! If your a true SMF, Get this album! But get the original cut.

Under the Blade: Special Edition
Under the Blade: Special Edition by Twisted Sister (Audio CD - 2011)