5.0 out of 5 stars Begs the question: When is a movie too long?
I became aware of the existence of over 50 minutes of additional scenes in this film in the past two years. The original, pruned version received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1990. I have owned the video for a decade. Then, last summer, the "new version" was shown in limited release, and a DVD was promised. With the addition of the deleted scenes,...
Published on Feb. 24 2003 by D. Movahedpour

2.0 out of 5 stars the director's cut was a great disappointment
Most director's cuts of movies have novelty values. Some such as Blade Runner or the Extended Version of The Fellowship of the Ring not only enhance the experience but also made one wonder why the original versions were released at all. Sadly, the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso was a major disappointment. The addional footage in the first half, such as Toto losing his...
Published on Nov. 26 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, Jan. 19 2004
TomAssini (San Juan, Puerto Rico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (DVD)
This is the most enchanting movie I 've crossed paths with. The plot is beautifull and the end will leave you breathless. Once we grow up we tend to forget from where we came and that we were kids once. Certainly a movie you will never, ever, forget...

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!, Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie will make you laugh,cry and look back at your own life. You will never forget this movie!!
Probably one of the best movies ....ever.
BRAVO!!!!
BRAVO!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, Nov. 2 2003
chicoer2003 "chicoer2003" (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (DVD)
Cinema Paradiso is a beautiful coming of age movie. Worth seeing just for the film montage in the last scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 4 2003
Paul Date "bane" (California) - See all my reviews
A story about falling in love and meeting people who change our lives forever. It tells the story of growing up and moving away from home, while never forgetting our past and where we are from. The main character (Salvatore) returns to his hometown after 30 years of being away and discovers that he was never really gone. His feelings are unchanged about the people he had affection for while growing up - mainly his first love Elena and Alfredo, the projectionist and his father figure. During his visit, he learns he must let go of some longings and desires that can never be fulfilled. The ending I will not soon forget. I was amazed and felt this is more than just a movie, it is hard to describe in words.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Words, March 30 2003
Juliet M. Grigsby (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (VHS Tape)
For me, there is no movie in existence that compares with Giuseppe Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso. It is beyond cinema; it is nothing less than pure art -- painting, music and poetry --in its most sweepingly beauteous form, the soul of which is weakened in attempt to convey here through words. Others before me have reviewed this work of genius, and from them you can take the plot, but if you want to know what this movie is really about, you must see it and only then will you be captivated and beguiled.
I lived with the older, shorter version for over ten years and had no idea I would be even so much more moved with the longer, more recent, uncut version.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic., Feb. 17 2003
Even if you're not one to enjoy foreign films, make a point of seeing this one. This movie is truly a modern classic. It slowly endears itself to you, and the ending is beautiful -- leaves you with a lump in your throat that you just can't shake.
Also noteworthy is the score, which is easily one of the best filmscores of all times. There's no way you CAN'T like this music -- pick up the CD and I guarantee it will become one of the permanent CDs in your 5-disc player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the New Version, May 27 2003
Britni Reinhold (Pinetop, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
Cinema Paradiso is one of the best films I have ever seen. However, I recently bought the New Version on DVD and was completely disappointed with it. The original plot and version were what made the film so good, the new version is too much. It tells too much of what happens afterwards and makes the most heart-warming character, Alfredo, seem like a bad guy. A terrible dissapointment, buy the original if you want to purchase this film.

4.0 out of 5 stars New version - Stories better left untold, April 29 2003
S. Park (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is for the "new version." If you are like me and absolutely have to watch the new version no matter what, then I suggest not reading the ongoing. On the other hand if you don't mind peeking into the new version before purchasing the DVD, read on.
The 51 extra minutes in the new version is devoted to the rendez-vous of Toto with Elena -- Toto's first love, whom he met as a teenager -- in their later years. These scenes are inserted around the scene in which Toto converses with his mother after returning home from Rome after 30 years. In brief, Toto runs into a young lady who surprisingly resembles the young Elena; he pursues her and finds out that she is indeed the daughter of Elena. Toto meets with Elena and talks about days long past...
Many minutes of the extra footage are wasted on Toto trying to find out how he and Elena missed each other on the day Toto departed for Rome. Equally if not longer minutes are spent on explaining how all that happened. It turned out that on the day of departure Elena did come to see Toto at cinema paradiso, albeit a bit too late. She greets Alfredo instead. Alfredo persuades her to allow Toto to leave. As had been portrayed in the original version, Alfredo sees a great future in Toto, and for this he asks Elena to understand. He pretends to Toto that he did not hear from Elena.
I am tempted to make an intellectual argument that, by creating an additional character -- the old Elena -- important to Toto, Tornatore had made the plot of the wonderful original messy (Remember the scene where cinema paradiso gets blown up? The poignancy of that scene gets lost due to the additional footage). However I won't use this argument. I was disappointed by the fact that Alfredo had to be reduced to a liar, whereas in the original Alfredo had remained the one who cared for Toto the most, the one who believed in Toto the most. Ok, ok, I admit that I am attached to Alfredo. But if you weren't, you wouldn't be reading this to begin with, would you?
There are stories better left untold. I had no concrete examples of this saying till I watched the new version.
If you are like me, you'll watch the new version regardless.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cinema Paradiso, Jan. 12 2014
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso [Import] (DVD)
This DVD was not the original film, which was brilliant. This film had 55 extra minutes with a lot of unnecessary footage, making the film bloated and endless. Miramax has obviously purchased the rights to the film as Harvey Weinstein's thumb prints are all over it.

I would like the original dvd, which I have ordered from you in the past. Unfortunately, I loaned it to a friend and she then "lost" it.

Please send me a copy of the original dvd and I will return the so called "improved" item.

1.0 out of 5 stars The never ending story, April 6 2003
By A Customer
What would possess a director to take his award winning film and add 51 meandering minutes to it? Ego? Greed? I bought this edition because I thought it included both the old and new versions (the jacket is a bit misleading...), I was sadly mistaken. By the end of this film I knew more about these people than my own family and I felt as if I'd been watching them in "real time". There were no thoughts left unspoken, no questions left unanswered, wrapped up nice and tight like an episode of "Murder She Wrote". I only hope that Quentin Tarentino doesn't decide to add an extra hour to "Pulp Fiction" to explain what was in the suitcase...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb813ef24)

Cinema Paradiso [Import]
Cinema Paradiso [Import] by Giuseppe Tornatore (DVD - 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.97