5.0 out of 5 stars Begs the question: When is a movie too long?
I became aware of the existence of over 50 minutes of additional scenes in this film in the past two years. The original, pruned version received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1990. I have owned the video for a decade. Then, last summer, the "new version" was shown in limited release, and a DVD was promised. With the addition of the deleted scenes,...
Published on Feb. 24 2003 by D. Movahedpour

2.0 out of 5 stars the director's cut was a great disappointment
Most director's cuts of movies have novelty values. Some such as Blade Runner or the Extended Version of The Fellowship of the Ring not only enhance the experience but also made one wonder why the original versions were released at all. Sadly, the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso was a major disappointment. The addional footage in the first half, such as Toto losing his...
Published on Nov. 26 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, but the disc does not work in my DVD player, Aug. 26 2013
This review is from: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (DVD)
This review is not about the film which is great no doubt (I have seen it many times before).

However, it is an original version (Italian) and my DVD does not play this format (Zone 2) which my spouse informs me is European generally.

I did not check this seeing it is sold on amazon.ca, and will unfortunately have to return it.

Product arrived a day earlier and very well packaged, no complaints there.

C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinema Paradiso (Import), June 4 2013
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso [Import] (DVD)
It was everything I expected and more. Such a beautiful movie about real life and not about a fantasy life. The music was superb, also.

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!, Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie will make you laugh,cry and look back at your own life. You will never forget this movie!!
Probably one of the best movies ....ever.
BRAVO!!!!
BRAVO!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars LOSES MOST OF THE MAGIC FROM THE ORIGINAL, May 12 2003
By A Customer
After many years of wishing to see this longer version of Cinema Paradiso, I couldn't have been more dissapointed. Whomever it was that edited this film in the first place knew exactly what he was doing as all of the "new material" does nothing but hurt the innocence of most of the main characters and ultimately eliminate it's unique magic. My guess is most fans will watch the new version once and return to the original afterwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars movies and his first teenage love. He doesn't forget either, Aug. 31 2014
David Crowe (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
The hero of this story has two lovers, movies and his first teenage love. He doesn't forget either. You will laugh and probably cry as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, Nov. 1 2003
chicoer2003 "chicoer2003" (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (DVD)
Cinema Paradiso is a beautiful coming of age movie. Worth seeing just for the film montage in the last scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars New version - Stories better left untold, April 29 2003
S. Park (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is for the "new version." If you are like me and absolutely have to watch the new version no matter what, then I suggest not reading the ongoing. On the other hand if you don't mind peeking into the new version before purchasing the DVD, read on.
The 51 extra minutes in the new version is devoted to the rendez-vous of Toto with Elena -- Toto's first love, whom he met as a teenager -- in their later years. These scenes are inserted around the scene in which Toto converses with his mother after returning home from Rome after 30 years. In brief, Toto runs into a young lady who surprisingly resembles the young Elena; he pursues her and finds out that she is indeed the daughter of Elena. Toto meets with Elena and talks about days long past...
Many minutes of the extra footage are wasted on Toto trying to find out how he and Elena missed each other on the day Toto departed for Rome. Equally if not longer minutes are spent on explaining how all that happened. It turned out that on the day of departure Elena did come to see Toto at cinema paradiso, albeit a bit too late. She greets Alfredo instead. Alfredo persuades her to allow Toto to leave. As had been portrayed in the original version, Alfredo sees a great future in Toto, and for this he asks Elena to understand. He pretends to Toto that he did not hear from Elena.
I am tempted to make an intellectual argument that, by creating an additional character -- the old Elena -- important to Toto, Tornatore had made the plot of the wonderful original messy (Remember the scene where cinema paradiso gets blown up? The poignancy of that scene gets lost due to the additional footage). However I won't use this argument. I was disappointed by the fact that Alfredo had to be reduced to a liar, whereas in the original Alfredo had remained the one who cared for Toto the most, the one who believed in Toto the most. Ok, ok, I admit that I am attached to Alfredo. But if you weren't, you wouldn't be reading this to begin with, would you?
There are stories better left untold. I had no concrete examples of this saying till I watched the new version.
If you are like me, you'll watch the new version regardless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the New Version, May 27 2003
Britni Reinhold (Pinetop, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
Cinema Paradiso is one of the best films I have ever seen. However, I recently bought the New Version on DVD and was completely disappointed with it. The original plot and version were what made the film so good, the new version is too much. It tells too much of what happens afterwards and makes the most heart-warming character, Alfredo, seem like a bad guy. A terrible dissapointment, buy the original if you want to purchase this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 21 2014
Great movie. Quick delivery. Thanks so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choose the right edition, Nov. 9 2007
Choukroun "Jérémie" (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
Be careful!
The reviews you read are the same for all the DVDs about Cinema paradiso. But the Two disc deluxe edition is the only one with the whole story. I spent years looking for this version and I bought several DVDs that did not contain the complete story. I definitly recommend the two disc edition because you have both the story cutted for theaters and the full one which is, to my mind, the only one that worth to be watched.
I hope you'll loved this passionating movie. The more I watch it, the more I understand its power and its perfection.
Enjoy!
Jérémie

Cinema Paradiso [Import]
Cinema Paradiso [Import] by Giuseppe Tornatore (DVD - 2011)
CDN$ 58.68