Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools

Double Cross
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$22.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I may be reviewing this album a tad prematurely, but I was stuck in traffic for over an hour today and played the album twice on my way home from work. Therefore, I feel like like it's all fresh in my mind, so let's get on with it!

Some biographical background: I once considered myself a huge Sloan fan and I bought all the Japanese imports and vinyl that I could find. I loved Betweem The Bridges, but I haven't loved any Sloan albums since. Parallel Play has been the one I've liked the most since then, but I can't remember any of the songs distinctly. I liked the Hit & Run EP as well, but not enthralled.

I do like The Double Cross. I'm not in love with it yet, but I firmly like over half the album. I love two tracks: Chris' "Follow The Leader" and Patrick's "Unkind". Both are incredible songs. Both remind me of what made me go nuts for Sloan a long time ago. Both have really immediate choruses, but both also really capture a vibe. You'll know what I mean when you heard them.

I also quite like "Shadow Of Love" which sounds new wavy to me, like something Elvis Costello would have written. Little bit of moog on there. I also quite like Patrick's "I Gotta Know", a melodic punk-like rocker. Jay's "Beverly Terrace" is like a disco song, no kidding, and it's great. I also like Jay's "The Answer Was You". The closer "Laying So Low" is quite good as well, a slower one which ends the album on a bittersweet note.

There are two bonus tracks worth grabbing: "Then Again" is my third favourite song on the record, a Chris song with a dark almost heavy metal vibe (although the song is not a metal song). "Jesus Loves Me" is a Patrick rocker with a heavy distorted riff like something Weezer might have done.

For best results, play loud. In traffic.

Don't like the cover art though. I love a lot of Sloan covers like One Chord and Navy Blues, and you can see they're going for that two-colour-portrait look here, but the gold and purple are kinda putrid. Not really a cover that jumps out at you at the record store. But then again, who browses record stores anymore? Sigh.

So yeah, I like the record. Not in love with it yet. I'm going to keep playing it and giving it a chance, because tracks 1 and 3 are so damm good. I'm gonna give it:

4 stars.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on October 24, 2013
Always a fan of this group so I am bias....but a fun album that lives up to Sloan's standards. Thanks again
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again