5.0 out of 5 stars PlayBook is Amazing!
Published on May 14 2011 by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated
Published on March 5 2012 by I. Coburn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PlayBook is Amazing!, May 14 2011
This review is from: Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (16GB) (Personal Computers)
The PlayBook is the best tablet out there by far. After hearing reviews in the media, I thought I was going to be disappointed. But the multitasking, gestures, power and stability of the BlackBerry makes this the most modern OS out there. The hardware is also unmatched. Some people think that the iPad is worth more because it is larger, but it is actually cheaper to produce a larger tablet than a smaller one as the components inside need to be made much smaller. This adds to the cost, which is why 13.6" Apple notebooks are much more than the same 15.6^ models. The 7" screen works really well and I was surprised by how easily one could zoom in and move the screen around if necessary. The tablet works phenomenally for movies and for games. Even its spreadsheet and documents programs are well built, and you can actually use the spreadsheet by easily zooming in and around the sheet. This device also hooks up to HDMI, so you can play movies or power point presentations straight to a television or projector. The form factor is nearly have the size of the iPad, and this really makes it a more mobile device. Sure iPAD can be brought with you to occassions, but I can't really imagine it be nearly as portable as the PlayBook. Furthermore, the iPAD is slippery and incredibly difficult to carry in one hand and almost requires your lap for support. This device on the other hand was made for one hand, so you can read, surf the internet, or watch you tube videos from the car, park or bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome device, Sept. 23 2011
I'm an educator at a post-secondary institution. Since I am involved in distance education, I need a highly portable device which I can use to communicate with students and colleagues at all hours of the day. I also need a device that plays flash videos and that allows me to connect with the learning management system at my university. The Playbook has satisifed all of my requirements. It is very easy to use and the customer support is extraordinary. The big knocks against the Playbook are the lack of apps (relative to the IPad) and email feature -- however, how many apps do people actually use? -- it's also quite easy to connect to existing email accounts. The Playbook is the best piece of technology I have ever purchased. I absolutely love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated, March 5 2012
I. Coburn "torndownunit" (Canada) - See all my reviews
Just got a Playbook, and am enjoying it. I think an issue with the raging tablet debates you read on every website is that different people have different uses for tablets. Some want something that will basically replace a laptop, some want an entertainment device, some want something for basic tasks. As far as tablets go, I fall into the last category and my review is based on that. I have been a user of Apple products for 15 years for work and personal use. I just plain like the design and the OS on the Playbook though. It's great for web browsing and the basics, and it's a great value for the price. Plus, my my personal uses I am a big fan of the 7" tablet and find it more practical.

I'd be lying if I said I don't hold out hopes that more apps with become available so I can do even more with the Playbook. For what I paid, I think I got my moneys worth. But, the fact is tablets and apps do go hand in hand for the majority of people. I'd ideally like to give it a 3.5 star review taking that into account, but 3 is the only option (4 is too high I think). I just don't think a device like this can warrant a 5 star review when it literally has a fraction of the apps available on every other platform at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most tablet for the buck, a hidden gem, March 31 2012
I'm a medical professional, have an iPad1 and iPad2, and use Windows and Mac extensively. 24 hours ago, I decided to purchase the Blackberry Playbook. In 24 hours, I've discovered the Playbook with the current OS2.0 is a hidden gem in this crowded field of tablets, and in this Apple-frenzied society.

Playbook when it was launched in April 2011, did not fare well because the OS was not good. In Feb 2012, it has upgraded the OS to 2.0, incorporating the functions they should have incorporated in the first place. Had they done so, the tablet marketplace may be quite different now in 2012.

When the New iPad came out in March 2012, I looked at the marketing. "Retina Display" required all my apps from iPad2 to be upgraded to use the new display. The upgraded apps have ballooned in size, such that my 32G iPad2 (only 3 months old) has less storage for media. As much as I've been an Apple supporter in the past, the planned obsolescence with a new iPad coming out every year, means the product life will be only two years before one has to upgrade. In this case, as apps continually need to be upgraded, and upgraded apps take up more and more room in the iPad, I will be forced to upgrade my iPad every two years because the 32G of today will no longer be enough in two years.

Enter the Blackberry Playbook. Hardware is ahead of its times. Since 2011, the display has been superior to iPad, with 1080p resolution; the speakers are stereo, there are ports for USB and HDMI, and it comes with front and rear cameras. Now with OS2.0, it's functionality is comparable, if not superior in some respects, to the iPad ecosystem.

"Browser" is fast, shows thumbnails of each webpage, and supports Flash. The built-in "Messages" app will take care of multiple e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts all from one app. Built-in Bluetooth allows for internet tethering to your mobile phone (if your phone supports it), so you don't need a separate dataplan for this tablet. Those that use Blackberry can also use the Bluetooth to "bridge" to the Blackberry phone. It comes with "DocsToGo" which allows you to create ".DOC" and ".XLS" natively; "PrintToGo" allows your computer (PC or Mac) to send files wirelessly to the Playbook, without having to use iCloud or Dropbox.

I put the Playbook OS2.0 through its paces, and found it multi-tasks better than iPad (even with iOS5), so you can run apps in the background while performing other tasks in the foreground.

Playbook uses the entire surface ' the display, the bezel ' for gesture control. iPad only uses the display portion for gesture control.

The smaller form factor of the Playbook makes it easy to hold for a long time, for reading, or for web surfing. The built-in HDMI allows you to plug it into a TV, without having to purchase an AppleTV for $99 or an Apple Digital AV adapter for $39.

The video and sound from the Playbook beats the iPad2; I haven't compared it to the New iPad.

The New iPad 16G is $499, 32G is $599, and 64G is $699 (these prices are for the Wi-Fi only models)

iPad2, 16G is $399 (Wi-Fi only); Apple no longer sells any larger memory sizes for iPad2.

Blackberry Playbook is (as of this writing), 16G for $199, 32G for $249, and 64G for $299. And if you need 3G or 4G, you can tether it to your smartphone via Bluetooth.

Though Blackberry AppWorld has > 60,000 apps versus Apple's >500,000, what the typical consumer uses a tablet for, can be easily satisfied with the number of apps currently available in either app stores. Granted, Apple has more variety (including their interactive textbooks), and more selection. However, most people use the tablet to read ebooks, surf the web, perhaps video-conference, watch YouTube or downloaded/purchased video. Considering the increased memory usage of the New iPad's 'Retina Display', and the increased size of new apps designed to use the new display, there will be less storage available for media that use the higher resolution.

If the consumer is vested in the Apple ecosystem, it would make sense to continue paying for the iPads. Do be prepared for iPad obsolescence after two years.

If the consumer can look beyond the sexiness of the 'Apple' brand, and were to look at what we truly use a tablet for, the Blackberry Playbook is a clear winner.

Just be prepared though' the packaging inside the Playbook's box, is not as sexy or sleek as that of Apple products. I've kept my Apple boxes over the years. Looking at the stack on my shelf, I'm realizing I've been paying a premium for those nice Apple boxes.

(I do not own stocks in RIM or in Apple)

4.0 out of 5 stars The good far outweighs the bad, Dec 26 2011
Immediately upon receiving the Playbook, I went looking to see what apps I could add to it. I was very pleased to discover that it was already set-up with Word, Excel and other crucial programs. Unfortunately, it pales in comparison to Adroid systems and the rest of its competition when it comes to games, free apps, etc.
However, I don't want to focus on the negatives. I do believe Blackberry will improve the gripes I do have.
Let's talk about the positives. The size of the playbook is ideal. I prefer it over the iPad and the other devices, having tried out most of them. I have no problem working and relaxing with this device. It's compact enough and just feels right in my hands. What can I say?
The keyboard is very easy to use and very responsive. It has a learning curve, but it's a short one.

I got mine when it was on sale and I haven't looked back. It was a great purchase and even my 2 year old daughter loves playing with it. I'm not sure why the sales aren't better, but for what it's worth, I highly recommend the Playbook.

One more thing. All of my friends and co-workers have been impressed with it once they tried it out. It's a very impressive tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand all the bad rap, Dec 27 2011
Sarah Bruno (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am writing this review from my Blackberry Playbook and I have to say that I do not understand why this product has been bashed so hard.

Cons
-Yes, certainly needs more aps (dearly missing Kindle and Netflix)
-Would like some sort of native spellcheck, email and calendar ( I don't own a Blackberry phone...yet)

Pros
-The product runs like butter.
-Toggling between apps is seamless.
-Ten hr battery life
-Files can be transfered wirelessly to or from Playbook
-The 7 in size is perfect to fit into my purse.
-Pricepoint, especially during sale, is bang for your buck especially when compared to Ipad 2.

If you are looking for a sleek, classy, good quality tablet that boasts large performance over large size..something that you can whip out of your pocket and expect reliability and ease of use...and you don't mind waiting till february to have more aps available, get this tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exellent Tablet especially for $200.00 sale price, Nov. 28 2011
I bought my Playbook on November 25th. I wanted it over the i-Pad because of the flash player capabilities. I am taking an online course and can download my educational flash videos from my laptop to Playbook with ease so I can watch the videos when I'm in a non wi-fi area. The resolution is clear and the sound on the tablet is louder than on my laptop so I don't need extra speakers when not using earphones.

I like the Adobe reader on it as I can easily read my PDF files which I couldn't see well on my E-reader and it's very portable so I can read my PDF files anywhere.

The only downsize to the Playbook is that there aren't that many apps in the app store and the internet connection has died a couple of times. I don't have a Blackerry phone and I hope they eventually have a calendar and e-mail apps that don't require one to have a Blackberry phone. Otherwise, I like the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, Nov. 27 2011
Book Worm 73 (Guelph, Canada) - See all my reviews
I kept thinking Playbook or Ipad. when the price came down for the Playbook it became a no brainer.

I've had it for a few weeks now and it's awesome. I've had no issues at all. The apps aren't too good but I hear RIM are bringing out a update in 2012 where it will be able to use Android Aps.

all in, i'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love it, March 23 2012
I bought this Blackberry Playbook almost a month ago.... amazon delivery was pretty fast i recieved it in 8 days after placing my order and item was very well packed aswell. I am not a pro but starting and initializing of the play book was very easy. Apps were easy to download. I am amzaed that for the first time user i dont find any difficulty in using it. I read other reviews who're worried about finger smudging prints but i surprisingly dont see much prints if i do then its very easy to clean. The Blackberry OS is also very cool. I dont use much of the applications but still i found them appealing to be there if i needed them. My six year old also found it very CUTE.... she loves playing games on it.

All in all i'm very very glad to buy this product. Thanks.

(Update 8/11/12)
I am still using my playbook and it is fantastic. I highly recommend the screen protector it really make the difference and i also recently bought leather case for my playbook from amazon which i found very cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 7in tablet!, March 16 2012
M. Shisko (Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the PlayBook. The quality of device you get for the price is fantastic. It has an amazing screen that's great for watching movies and reading books. The battery last all day even under heavy use. The browser is excellent, full flash support and everything.

Like the title of the review says, The BlackBerry Playbook is easily the best 7in tablet, no matter what the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (16GB)
CDN$ 299.00 CDN$ 210.20