5.0 out of 5 stars An unforgettable Disney Classic!
Those people that are saying Lion King was a rip-off of Kimba the Lion are only jaded anime otakus that seem to think American animation is always ripping off Japan.
Published on July 25 2002 by Elaine Roche

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Disney Why???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why did Disney ruin this film by adding a terrible song, cutting dialogue, and making a terrible extras disc!
Published on Nov. 3 2003 by sezzy

5.0 out of 5 stars An unforgettable Disney Classic!, July 25 2002
Elaine Roche "Bunny" (Whitmore Lake, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Not true. In fact, The Lion King was an adaption of the famous Shakespearian play Hamlet where the main character(which the play is titled off of)'s father, the King, is killed by his jealous brother. Told by his father's ghost to avenge his death, Hamlet does so, the similarity ends with Disney's trademark happy ending (in Hamlet, everyone dies at the end).
This movie, though not my favorite of all the Disney animated features (that title belonging to The Hunchback of Notre Dame), is superbly made and has earned it's recognition as one of the greatest animated features of all time very easily. I'd go as far to say that if Walt were alive when it was released, he would have been proud.
The music, acting, animation and overall story are all blended together seamlessly into a movie you have to be completely abnormal not to love.
Buy this movie, you won't regret it, even after the upteenth viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King Of Disney Films, June 9 2004
Robert J. Schneider (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lion King (VHS Tape)
Disney's THE LION KING (1994) is, as if anyone really needed to tell you, a true modern Disney classic. I first saw it when it was released in late 1994; in fact, I saw it during the first weekend! This was something I never did with any Disney film before or since, but I had seen the full five-minute trailer a few times during the two-month buildup to its release and it looked incredible. It didn't disappoint; in fact, it turned out to be one of the greatest films of 1994---and that was a *busy* year for great films! In fact, if it weren't such a busy year for great films (PULP FICTION, FORREST GUMP, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, etc.) then THE LION KING would have easily garnered a Best Picture nomination. Better than the great ALADDIN (1991), even better than BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1992)---which *did* get nominated for Best Picture---this film was state-of-the art in every way: The incredibly vivid visuals, especially during the opening sequence and the awesome Wildebeest stampede, the DTS digital sound, the voice-over actors, even the script...it all came together in a whole new way, to create a film that was probably even more for adults than it was for kids---but one in which the kids enjoyed immensely as well. This animated masterpiece provided a great theater experience, even with all the kids there!
Well, it's just as great on VHS, especially considering our 51" widescreen TV and Surround Sound capabilities (*smile*). I imagine it must be even greater on DVD, but we will have to wait till later in the year to be able to get the Special Edition DVD, which I badly want! This is just one of those films that make you smile; it is so special in so many ways.
But why is it so special? I mean, it's basically Hamlet for kids---and not even young kids, considering the adult themes of betrayal and murder---and tells a relatively simple story. Ah, but its Shakesperean thematic model is filled by a story that *is* original in its characters, in its setting and in its ability to awe us with its sense of wonder and purpose. One last thing: we can relate to its main character Simba (voiced as a cub by "Home Improvement" actor Jonathan Taylor Thomas, voiced as an adult by Matthew Broderick), who runs away from a past he can't face and harbors it as a guilty secret till he is able to face down his demons in adulthood. Come on, most of us can certainly relate to that in one way or another!
You know the story, but here it is again: Simba, after a restless but happy cub-hood, runs away from home when his majestic, all-powerful and seemingly invincible father, the Lion King Mufasa (majestically voiced by James Earl Jones---as if it could have been anyone else!), is betrayed and murdered by his brother, the evil and scheming Scar (creepily voiced by Jeremy Irons---as if it could have been anyone else!), who guilts the young Simba into leaving and never coming back. Of course, Scar then becomes King, much to the chagrin of Queen Sarabi (voiced by the illustrious Jamaican actress Madge Sinclair, in what would be unfortunately her final film role). Meanwhile, Simba goes off to the forests where he meets a couple of best pals---a wisecracking Meerkat named Timon (Nathan Lane, in a piece of inspired casting) and a big, flatulent Warthog named Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella, also inspired)---who teach Simba the value of "no worries" ("Hakuna Matata") and who shine in all of their scenes. Simba grows up with them into a life of no worries. Eventually, the young girlfriend he left behind, Nala (voiced as an adult by Moira Kelly), finds Simba and tries to convince him to come back to Pride Rock and fulfill his destiny. Simba has long been resigned to his present fate, and refuses to do so---until he is confronted by a wise baboon named Rafiki (Robert Guillaume, in yet *another* piece of inspired casting!), who shows Simba that his father truly lives on within himself. Simba returns to Pride Rock to reclaim the kingship, evil Uncle Scar doesn't want to go lightly, and in a truly climactic scene, Simba avenges his father's murder and takes his place in The Circle of Life, becoming a dad himself in the very last frame!
I know I didn't have to go through all that, but I wanted to; it's just a great film with great songs (the magnificent "Circle Of Life," the Oscar-winning "Can You Feel The Love Tonight," "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" and "Hakuna Matata"---all written by Elton John & Tim Rice), and it is still such a pleasure to watch it a whole decade after its original theatrical release. Don't let the G-rating fool you; with humor so hip and violence so intense (especially in the climactic fight scene), it's really not for young children. I still feel that it should have received the PG-rating. Still, no matter what the rating, THE LION KING is a must-have, for *any* film library.
MOST RECOMMENDED, AGES 8 & UP

5.0 out of 5 stars A another jungle classic from Disney, Jan. 13 2010
Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lion King (VHS Tape)
Now first of all, I like to say that at first I wasn't into loving this film, because my brother and my twin sister would tease me for liking Timon the meerkat ("...sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G..."). And after that I started to hate the film; why even listening to the film's songs reminded me of the teasing of my brother and sister. But it wasn't until in 1995, that I "re-watch" the film, when we got it on VHS and fall in love with it.

Anyway this film is a another jungle classic from Disney about a lion cub named Simba who is destined to be king. But a tragedy forced him to flee, guilt-ridden, while his wicked uncle takes the throne. It would take some convincing and the courage to face his past to make Simba the king he was born to be. So that's all I could tell you folks, you will have to see the film for yourself how it ends.

Overall, I really love this film. And I don't have any particular scene, and also the musical soundtrack was excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Disney Why???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Nov. 3 2003
sezzy (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Its sooo bad, it took me half an hour to find the deleted scenes, and i cant even find the original release on my dvd! (If anyone knows exactly where the original theatricial release is then pleaaaase tel me - email me sarahsezzy90210@hotmail.com - i'll be forever in your debt)
But aside from the terrible dvd, the actual picture quality is great, and the original film is a classic, (although i do acknowledge that everything disney releases they call a classic)
However, you may like the added song but i felt cheated by disney that theyd changed my favourite film, so it depends on your feelings about the original whether or not you buy this dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Animation at its Best, May 8 2004
Jason Lilly (Nitro, WV United States) - See all my reviews
When I first saw this film, I was more impressed with the experimental animation, especially in some of the most violent scenes of the film. The movie is lush with eye-catching colors, realistic images, and detailed textures. It was not until I watched the film several times that I caught on to the depth and impressiveness of the story, as well. The Lion King is epic and Shakespearean. It borrows from one of Shakespeare's most famous, Hamlet. Scar is the jealous brother of the king, Mufasa. He plots the murder of the king and cleverly directs the blame upon young Simba, the king's son. It is not until many years later, after Simba is visited by his father's ghost, that he returns to the kingdom where Scar has taken Mufasa's place as king. Simba vows to avenge his father's death and with the help of two tiny but strong friends, succeeds in reclaiming the throne and defeating Scar.
Disney proves in this film that their films are not mere children's stories directed to young minds. Though they have released a few stinkers over the years, Lion King remains one of, if not the most impressive animated films of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars I got some good news and some bad news, April 27 2004
By A Customer
The good news about The Lion King DVD is that it is the BEST DARN DISNEY MOVIE EVER MADE and it's getting the royal DVD treatment I've dreamed of.
Now here's my never ending string of bad news: the DVD is ripping off the film's most beloved fans such as myself.
1. THERE IS NO ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION! The OTV is actually the reanimated version done for Imax release (the Morning Report was only made for the dvd release) So technically there is no version that you saw in the theaters back in 1994 of the VHS you bought in 1995. This has got to be the worst cheat that the Disney Company has ever placed upon its consumers and I regret not writing an angry letter (I hope you all did). I saw the Imax version and the reanimated sequences were done very poorly. I doubt that with the exception of the dust incident that none of the errors from the original LK were fixed
2. FEATURES ARE POOR! I definitely say this regarding the deleted scenes. There are only 3 and all of them star Timon and Pumbaa (pushing the release of LK 1.5 a bit?) I was very disappointed that they didn't have the good deleted version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Honestly I'm sick of Timon and Pumbaa, though I did like the Lion King 1.5 If you go to [...] you will find tons more deleted scenes then what this dvd rip off provided
There are too many things for kids, and a stupid music video plus the organization of Disc 2 is done very poorly. I think they should've done something better than a round the world thing (if you go outside of Africa or North America you'll only get slideshows of posters in different languages) There are no original theatrical previews of the film either. I heard some good thing about a making of special that appeared on the LK Laser Disc but not on the DVD Then you get some stupid stuff about African animals that I wouldn't care less about. there needs to be more stuff for fans and less stuff for kids.
3. THE MORNING REPORT - Well this number was very very unneccessary compared to BatB's Human Again. It was never even a originally deleted sequence but the animation got in smoothly. The bad news is that Simba has no whiskers throughout the number and it's too obvious. If they did not add Simba's whiskers in the new sequence on purpose then I need to go find these animators and knock some sense into them!
4. Menu - DEAR GOD WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! A CGI ZAZU! AND NOT EVEN A GOOD ONE! And a poorly done 2D drawn background! Does Disney really hate 2D that much?!!!
You know who's to blame for all of this his name is Michael Eisner!!! And until we get him out of Disney there's no hope for the future Plantinum Editions of Disney films. These people cant make up their minds on whether to call these Special Editions or Plantinum Editions. It sounds as though Plantinum Editions sound better but you only get Special Edition like stuff with a Plantinum Edition fear.
For the sake of being a true Lion King fan I got the Collector's Gift Set. WARNING: MY GIFT SET CAME THROUGH AMAZON AND GOT DAMAGED UPON SHIPPING. IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU THROW THE BIGGEST FIT AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!! I regretted not doing this cuz I wanted to see the new dvd. However I didn't know that stores like Best Buy were carrying the Gift Set for much cheaper than I paid here.
So here's my advice for people getting the Aladdin Collecters Gift Set in October: DO NOT PREORDER HERE! Check with Best Buy or other good stores and they might have it available for $5-10 less than you would pay here and you wont have to pay for shipping that might damage your precious gift set. Dont make the same mistakes I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal Entertainment, March 5 2004
"The Lion King" is a great animated film. It has a captivating story, a stellar cast of characters, and good songs. The animation is beautiful. The opening sequence is one of my favorites. It is a true modern masterpiece.
You probably know the story, so I'll skip the synopsis. One thing that does bother me is that the editorial review says that this flick is too violent for the little kiddies. What? A simple explanation can put an end to any confusion or fears that your child might have, unless your one of those parents who use the DVD players as a babysitter. My two year old understands that bad things happen in the world. She might not understand that Mufasa dies in this flick, but she knows that Simba is sad and angry about it. Don't let the PC police get in the way of letting your children see a modern classic.
The DVD is loaded with extras. Commentary on just about everything, music videos, and even short explanations on the animals in the movie. The "Circle of Life" video featuring kids from the Disney Channel is okay, but an obvious promo for the Disney Channel. As usual, there are a ton of trailers for flicks coming soon to a theater or DVD rack near you. The Safari game is one of the better games I've seen on a DVD. Granted, the menus may seem confusing to some folks in the crowd, but if you take just a little time to learn how to use them(I picked up the general mechanics on one try), you'll find that there are a lot of extras worth looking into.
The voice talents in this movie are great. Matthew Broderick and Jonathan Taylor Thomas are perfect as Simba(young and old). James Earl Jones was born to play Mufasa, albeit for a brief time in this movie. Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and the gentleman who plays "Ed" are great as the sniveling sidekicks to "Scar." Ah yes, "Scar" is a perfect villain in "The Lion King." Jeremy Irons is downright vile as the jealous uncle. His performance is flawless. Of course, Nathan Lane stole the show as "Timone," and Rowan Atkinson, as "Zazu," had the driest of wits in this film. The voice talents of the rest of the cast were good as well.
Overall, a grand movie worth owning. Its a modern Disney flick in the classical vein, and that's rare today.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great movie but the DVD package..., March 4 2004
The Lion King is an excellent family film. Released in 1994 and until 2003's Finding Nemo it was the most successful animated film of all time! Great story-telling and unforgettible characters light up this Disney Classic.
Simba is the young cub who is someday to be King. But his jealous uncle will stop it nothing to be King before Simba. After Simba's father is killed in his early childhood Simba flees. Years later he must choose. His new life in paradise or go back and face his past.
Amazingly enough this story was incredible to most audiences! I saw this movie when I was much younger and it was incredible. At the time of it's release it was the most beautifully animated film ever.
The characters in the film are memorable. Timon and Pumbaa are perhaps two of Disney's most famous characters ever (as preceived in Lion King 1 1/2). Scar makes an incredible villian and yet somehow the film can still be enjoyed by audiences of all ages.
The songs are grand and were some of the most sang songs of my past. It was hard to find someone who didn't know the words to these songs.
But as I said, it's the DVD itself that gives me the gripes. For one, as some have mentioned, it isn't exactly easy to get to the movie right away. As with most Disney DVD's you've got to sit through preview after preview after preview. You can skip them at least but then you'll have to navigate the menu, which really isn't all that bothersome. The menu looks cool at least.
My other gripe is simply what TV tells us about all DVD's. "This DVD is PACKED with *insert number* of hours!" The Lion King doesn't have hours and hours of bonuses. You can get through them all in no time flat considering the first disk is pretty much the movie. The second doesn't have much to offer really.
Lastly, the new song included "Morning Report" isn't a very good one. It's too short for thing and isn't catchy like the rest of the soundtrack. The good news though, you can view the original movie. The new song isn't much.
So the movie is still a classic but the DVD itself doesn't offer much. A great movie but for the long long wait for the DVD it certainly seems like the VHS would've done much better justice to some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this DVD!, Feb. 11 2004
Michelle Finch (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
I was from the original generation of kids who fell in love with "The Lion King" and I was fortunate enough to see it three times during its original theatrical run. I'm considerably older than I was in 1994, but I still love the film as much as I did back then. "The Lion King" has timeless elements that appeal to all age groups, and everyone from preschoolers to grandparents can find something to enjoy.
Despite the proliferation of CGI, "The Lion King" holds up as a perfect example of how traditional animation can look just as beautiful. The cleaned up "Special Edition" does not dissapoint. However, I found it somewhat misleading that the DVD case said that the "Original Theatrical Release" version of the film was included. It is not; it's only the cleaned-up IMAX print sans "Morning Report." (Is Disney starting to follow in George Lucas' footsteps?) But, hakuna matata! After a few viewings I was won over by the new version: you can't go wrong with enriched colors and a beautiful home theater sound mix!
The only worthwhile extra on the first disc is the audio commentary, which will please any diehard fan. The rest is nothing more than the Disney Channel bragging about itself. A dull music video showcases the singing "talents" of the channel's teen "stars" in a mediocre version of "Circle of Life." It even tacks on a pointless behind-the-scenes feature on the making of the video.
The second disc, however, is wonderful! It includes interviews, character designs, and many other things that I'll leave you to discover on your own. What's missing is the June 1994 "making of" TV special (hosted by Robert Guillame) in its entirety; only certain parts were used and were scattered throughout the various sections on the second disc.
Bottom line: "The Lion King" is a masterpiece that should NOT be left out of your DVD collection. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney's animated masterpiece!, Feb. 4 2004
DML (NC United States) - See all my reviews
The Lion King is another of the movies which marked the triumphant return of Disney to center stage. Remember, that after Walt Disney's death, Disney as a company kind of sank into oblivion and did nothing remarkable. After 1989's excellent The Little Mermaid, Disney continued its return in a big way with The Lion King.
This is the story of Simba, (Jonathon Taylor Thomas as a youth, Matthew Broderick as an adult) a young cub, who "just can't wait to be king". He has a powerful father, the king Mufasa (a booming James Earl Jones) and an uncle, the conniving and evil Scar (the devilish Jeremy Irons) who wants the throne that Simba will one day inherit. Scar schemes up a way to kill Mufasa and dispose of Simba permenently, or so he thinks. Simba ends up banished from the Pridelands, where he takes on the newfound attitude of Hakuna Matata(no worries). This is the saying of Timon and Pumba, two new friends. Eventually, Simba must deal with his past, which he finds very difficult.
There are two reasons why I consider this to be the best Disney film. For one, the animation is absolutely superb. From the opening "Circle of Life" sequence, showing all the animals in the Pridelands gathering to celebrate the birth of Simba, to the final battle between Scar and Simba, the attention to detail and vivid color is breathtaking. Especially on this new DVD edition, this movie is a sight to see. The second reason I love this as the best Disney film is the villain, Scar. Unlike most other Disney villains, who are almost a joke (Ursula, Malevecent, Gaston, the evil stepmother), Scar is truly evil and he is a scary character. Jeremy Irons was the perfect choice for the voice.
For that reason, I would recommend you keep this movie away from the very young. This is an adult cartoon. There is much violence and adult material. A father dies, an uncle tries to kill his young nephew several times, and the evil elephant graveyard has an ominous appearance. Very small children would struggle with this film, so keep that in mind.
In all, the story, animation, characters, voices, and appearance make this DVD a must own. The extended feature is somwhat overrated- the song "Morning Report" is unnecessary and a waste of time. The second disc features several making of tours and some games that would be fun to play with children. I recommend making this film a part of your collection.

The Lion King (Diamond Edition) (Blu-ray + DVD) (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 127.37