Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

Wonders of the Universe
Format: DVDChange
Price:$22.93+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on April 8, 2013
I was quite disappointed with this documentary. I love BBC productions and this one was a major let down. It lacked content to the extreme. The discussions were more focused on "getting your mind around" the concept of space science, rather than giving much actual information or insight. It's very basic and designed for someone with no science background. If you already have an interest in science (especially space science), I wouldn't bother. I was very bored and disappointed. I expected something at a level at least past high school.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on February 29, 2012
This is easily the worst BBC documentary I've watched. The cinematography is excellent, even breathtaking in HD, but it is of out-of-the-way places on Earth rather than what I was expecting to see, which was the wonders of space. And while Brian Cox is a personable enough presenter, the camera spent entirely too much time on him marvelling at the scene in front of him ' rather than showing us what it was he was marvelling at. (Imagine a David Attenborough program spending more time showing you Sir David marvelling at a creature than showing you the creature itself.)

The science is pretty simple, although I found it obscured rather than explained by the analogies Cox uses. Professor Stannard does a better job in "Space, Time and Consciousness" (which is an Open University podcast free from iTunesU) using simple everyday objects.

The exotic locations do nothing for the analogies ' it felt more like we were watching an astronomer on holiday talk about work than seeing sights that were significant to astronomy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again