5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best album ever
I love this album. I have the Mexican version, but the cd says: "Lo mejor del siglo XX" Although the CD design, the content it's beautiful, it's loaded with ballads and some R&B and Dance.
DREAMLOVER 10/10
A funny R&B song
HERO 10/10
The best ballad ever written
ANYTIME YOU NEED A FRIEND 10/10
The best song of the album it's...
Published on June 12 2004 by Carlos L.

3.0 out of 5 stars MUSIC BOX IS THE ULTIMATE MARIAH CLASSIC

The best ballad ever written
ANYTIME YOU NEED A FRIEND 10/10
The best song of the album it's a ballad with R&B & Gospel elements
MUSIC BOX 10/10
I love it. It has a sadness feeling
NOW THAT I KNOW 10/10
One of the dance hits ever
NEVER FORGET YOU 8/10
Sweet & beautiful but boring
WITHOUT YOU 10/10
This song was number one here in Mexico!!!! I LOVE IT!!!
JUST TO HOLD YOU ONCE AGAIN 10/10
I like it
I'VE BEEN THINKIN' ABOUT YOU 10/10
It has a Hip-Hop style, only needs some rap why not Run DMC?
ALL I'VE EVER WANTED 9/10
Awesome but boring
HEROE 10/10
This is the spanish version of "Hero", Mariah has a very clear Spanish

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is my Biggest 'Hero', July 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
'Music Box' is Mariah's bestselling TO THIS DAY which is quite amazing considering on my media player the songs come up 'Ballads' in the category section. A BIG FAT LIE! "Dreamlover", one of the CD's biggest singles as well as "Now That I Know" (the best song on the album), 'I've Been Thinking About You" are way far away from any ballad form. Note: In the fold-out picture notice the wedding band on her finger. Tommy Mattola (her then husband) has a very distinct style, and this really shows up on the CD. "Anytime You Need A Friend" is great, but it drags on for quite a long time compared to the arguably short "Never Forget You". And the award for most underrated goes to "Without You". "Without you is a classic MC Remake, and she must have spent a darn long time in the studio trying to hit the long note on the second verse. "Hero" is one more #1 off this CD, and it is ok, but after you hear a lot, you get tired of it. The CD ends on a high note with "All I've Ever Wanted". A great buy, so buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated - Not a very good overall CD, July 13 2004
L.A. Scene (Indian Trail, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
If you look at each decade in music, there seems to be an artist that rises as the "Artist of the Decade". Although in some cases you can dispute it, you can make the argument that the following artists dominated their decade: Elvis Presley (1950s), The Beatles (1960s), The Bee Gees (1970s), and Michael Jackson (1980s). The 1990s was a more difficult decade to decide as it was a down decade in the music industry. If you take a look at commercial sales and #1 singles alone, Mariah Carey is one name that certainly comes to the top of the list for 90s artist of the decade. She had #1 songs in nearly every year of the decade and sold lots of albums. Her biggest selling album was her 1993 release entitled "Music Box". "Music Box" sold some 24 to 25 million copies and was a monster selling album. However, this is a case where I just don't get it because I don't believe this is a very good album.
There are several problems I have with "Music Box". First up, the sound is very familiar. The album definitely has a Whitney Houston feel to it - and haven't we had enough Whitney Houston in the 80s. I don't feel this album brings that much new to the table. One thing I will give Mariah credit for is that she plays a much more prevelant role in songwriting than Whitney Houston. Most of her #1 songs have been written by Carey herself. This brings me to the second point - the lyrics - in many cases (with on exception) I don't think the lyrics are all that strong and don't go very deep. Finally, the album just isn't very interesting. There are three good songs, but there isn't much more that is going to capture your interest.
There are three songs that really save this album. "Dreamlover" was a #1 song and is a catchy song with some catchy, but not necessarily deep lyrics. It has somehwat of an 80s feel to it since there is a heavy dose of keyboards and synthesizers in it. Carey herself wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the music and does a nice job. The background vocals are mixed in nicely - I believe they are done by Carey herself. Although "Dreamlover" doesn't go deep with the lyrics, the song "Hero" (another #1 song) does. Personally this is as good a song that Mariah Carey has done. Although it doesn't sound anything like a Dan Fogelberg song, Mariah Carey does something that Dan Fogelberg was a master of in his music - making use of music and lyrics to paint a picture. In this case Carey paints a picture of a Hero. Another analogy in this song is the "Air Supply" approach. The group Air Supply were masters at building a song up to a crescendo and in "Hero" builds up to a magnificent crescendo. Mariah also shows her trademark vocal range in this song. The third song that is worth listening to on the album is the song "Anytime You Need a Friend". This song doesn't get the attention that the #1 hits got on the song, but what really sets this song apart are the gospel-style background vocals in this song. It makes for something different and some enjoyable listening.
After those first three tracks things get boring and uninteresting. The title track "Music Box" doesn't really excite me that much. "Now That I Know", "Just to Hold You Again" , and "All I've Ever Wanted" are ok songs with nice Carey vocals, but sound almost like clones of Whitney Houston songs. "Never Forget You" has its moments, but isn't a song that I'm really going to want to hear. Babyface, who is the co-writer and background vocalist on "Never Forget You" really doesn't kindle any magic like he did when he collaborated with Eric Clapton. The remake of Nillson's "Without You" is helped by Mariah's vocals, but this really isn't one of the better remakes of this song. I don't think "I've Been Thinking About You" does much to stand out in my mind. This song is one of the weaker songwriting efforts by Carey as it seems like she forced the lyrics to work in many parts of this song.
All of the lyrics and credits for the musicians are included in the liner notes. Mariah includes a whole "panel" in the liner notes that has a bunch of "Thank Yous" to the various people whom she collaborated with. Her at the time husband, Sony Boss Tommy Mottola gets a huge thank you - and oh my,have things changed since this album was recorded back in 1992/3.
The Mariah Carey fan will probably like this album. The casual fan will definitely like the hit songs off this album, but I feel this album doesn't bring that much to the table. I do feel this is an example of an album that received a boost from some singles that got a lot of airplay and sales, but as a whole this album just isn't very good. I don't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, musical excellence, May 1 2004
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
Imagine it is 1993. You are eagerly awaiting the release of Mariah Carey's new disc, and love 'Dreamlover'. All is nice and sweet, the music and vocal talent apparant and excellent. Fast-forward to 2004, and 'Music Box' is still one of the best albums ever made, having sold over 25 million copies world-wide. 'Dreamlover' is the starter here, a brilliant and catchy pop song. The lyrics and vocals here are impressive. 'Hero' is one of Mariah's trade-mark ballads, along with 'Butterfly', 'Can't Take That Away' and 'Through The Rain'. 'Anytime You Need A Friend' has a gorgeous gospel feel to it, and has a very meaningful message. 'MusicBox' is a beautiful and subtle ballad, a soothing and romantic 4 mins. of pure bliss. 'Now That I Know' returns to party form; Mariah is one of only a few artists who go between ballads and up tempo numbers so effortlessly. 'Without You' is a massive favourite with fans. My favourite track, though, is 'All I've Ever Wanted'. This is an epic ballad, and once again shows us the talent and strength of Mariah's voice, when she chooses to unleash it. The ballads don't over-dominate the album because the up beat numbers are so effective. Although I feel that 'Daydream' and 'Butterfly' were better, this album is still a pure delight. Congratulations Mariah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to my ears, March 16 2004
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
It's no surprise that this album is a hit. Two very strong singles backed up by an intimate, beautiful cover song is what makes an album a delight. Here's a detailed song review:
1) Dreamlover: one of her #1 singles. A fantastic upbeat song that is self explanatory.
2) Hero: I'm sure almost every single person knows this song. It's such an amazing, strong song about finding one's self and making it through the tough times.
3) Anytime You Need A Friend: This is a wonderful song to play for a friend who is having trouble in their life or is about to move away. It's got touching lyrics.
4) Music Box: One of the slower songs, I love the vocals in this song so much because the songs main focus ARE the vocals. The piano is a very nice touch.
5) Now That I Know: A faster song, great beat and catchy lyrics. More pop than R&B but still very Mariahish. I think every girl experiences this kind of emotion where your friends tell you the guy is no good but he proves them wrong.
6) Never Forget You: Though a great song, it's probably my least favourite on the disc. Even though vocals ARE up to pitch and the music is great, I just don't find it as intriguing as the others.
7) Without You: Now here's the amazing cover song. When I was little, I listened to this version so many times it got worn out. So I was so incredibly happy when I heard this knowing this song would never leave my heart.
8) Just To Hold You Once Again: If I had a movie, this song would definitely be on the soundtrack. Everyone experiences this after a break up. Great lyrics for after a breakup and you want the guy back.
9) I've Been Thinking About You: Another one of the upbeat, faster songs. The lyrics are really good and the vocals are amazing. Obvious Mariah song.
10) All I've Ever Wanted: The album ends with the perfect ballad. EVERYONE and ANYONE can relate to this song.
In all, I think this album is great for when you break up or when you find someone you truly love. It's a mixture of both emotions. I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, awesome, awesome !!!!!!!!!!!, Feb. 21 2004
Anthony D. Howell "scificrackerj" (Houston, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
mariah carey is my favorite singer in the world. the reason i am writing this review first is to tell you that music box is my favortie album of hers. dreamlover is my absolute favorite song of all time and is what got me into her. i was in 7th grade when i got this album. i was sick on christmas day and was feeling really crappty until my aunt gave me the cassette. i was not sick anymore let me tell you!!!!!!!!! i was so excited. my aunt said she went to 6 diffrent stores before she was able to get it. i have never worn down a cassette before. i played this so much that mariah carey sounded like a man with a baritone voice!!!!!! i eventually ended up having to go cd format a couple of years later. this is my review of music box
1.dreamlover (my favorite song of all time) is the perfect radio friendly , put you in a good mood, hopeful to find that special someone song. crafted very well, and oh my gosh, the video....man she looked so hot... nearly creamed in my pants!!!
2.hero, if this song doesn't lift your self esteem, nothing will. this song will remain timeless, mariah has beautiful vocals in this one.
3.anytime you need a friend. again, another lift me up song , but it lets you know that hey just when you think your all alone, your really not, you have me, and that i am here for you if you need me. this song has that right soulful touch.
4.music box- a light and simple song, starting off just like a music box. has a nice even structure and flows evenly. very nice lyrics. as with all the lyrics on this album.
5.not that i know- went from slow and simple music box to a nice dancy number, and is very catchy!!!!!!! like a celebratory song for the i can't believe you love me now, but now that i know, i can be every thing you need masses, (in the lyrics) muy bien indeed!!!!
6.never forget you- starts the second half of the album and is more of the mellow side except for track 9. this song is basically about reflecting on a love that has passed away. this song is really good song and babyface helps out with the lyrics and music here. so you will know that this song is good.
7.without you- a remake song- it shows mariah at her vocal best. you can tell how much she loves this song. she puts in a whole lot of effort into this and succeeds greatly. to me it is unmatched. kelly clarkson had a go at this song that was a great effort , but not mariah. it is said that the person that had originally did this song passed away like right after mariahs version was released as a single.
8.just to hold you once again- this is a really good typical mariah song, a nice ballad , she is so good at those. i like it because its not too much, and not too slow, just like music box as far as music structure. i love her background singers on this song, which adds a more soulful feel. which it think this song needed. this song is about a relationship that did not end well(both people growing apart) but reflecting on just how nice it would be to be to hold you once again. ahh past memories.
9.i've been thinking about you- another dance number kinda awakening from you the ballads. in my opinion this track is out of place but it so sooo good. this song is about that friend next door type that you have known forever as a friend , but never in a relationship way, and then oh my gosh.... things start to change, and the next thing you know,the person from next door is the one you've started to fall in love with. cool lyrics for a dance number.
10.all i've ever wanted- the perfect ballad ending to this album. this song (to me anyways) is about two people in a relationship where one person, isn't sure about continuing on with it, and the other person explaining why this relationship is right, basically professing their love, in hopes to keep the other person. i love this song............ a lot.
so if all you readers are still awake , let me tell you in my opinion , this album is flawless, mariah carey is a voice like no other, and the collaboraters are awesome. the producer on this album ,walter afanasieff, is very well known in the music biz, and he did a lot of great stuff with mariah, this album clearly shows this. i wish that they would work together again!!!!!!!!!!!! you have to get this album, its my favorite , favorite one. pure perfection.
p.s. sorry for grammar, and spelling errors, but i am sure you figured out what i meant. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Work !!Miss. Carey, Oct. 28 2003
RICO (SAN DIEGO CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
Im not big on mariah, as a mega fan but I must say she has done a good job here. My favorite is (anytime you need friend), all the tracks are good. Yes this was her album that really made mariah huge internationally, Yes # 1 selling over 20 million copies world wide. yeah yeah.They say she is the most sucessful female artist of all time, just because she has 15#1'hits( not all solo efferts) sold more albums in the 90's Mariah did kick butt!! But her peak was in 1995/96 with her Daydream cd. Everything after Daydream's peak! Mariah's sound went down hill to many duets nothing on her own was being created, for example using other people beats all the time it got old. She got to ghetto(late bloomer)tried to show more skin look good! but its has been done already!!!! This is not putting mariah down in any way. her early music still is good, thats what she needs to bring back, all this crap even off her latest cd is horrible. However Through the rain is beautiful I really like that song. But Music Box with Daydream are both dam good album I have to admit that.

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally saw the truth, that a heroine lay in Mariah, Oct. 10 2003
Daniel J. Hamlow (Narita, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
I hadn't been too keen on the "Emotions" single and had prematurely written "sophomore slump" on her forehead. With Music Box being on power play at the retail store I worked, I was not only quick to erase those words from her forehead but found myself offering to shine her shoes as well. If her debut was a delicious chocolate truffle, Music Box was a truffle with extra maple syrup and a drop of brandy that brings the heart to a nice and sizzling warmth.
The first single and #1 hit "Dreamlover" from opening keyboards, high-pitched note, and dreamy vocals accompanied by drum-machines and synths make this more lush than "Someday" from her debut. She speaks for millions when she sings "Dreamlover come and rescue me."/...take me anywhere you want to baby now."
Three Mariah ballads in a row, especially by her and Walter Afanasieff, is like taking a bath in warm latte. Ooh, that feels soooo good! I don't know if Mariah read any Joseph Campbell before doing "Hero", but the opening words "There's a hero/if you look inside your heart" belies that inner journey. Yet I get so enveloped with this song, I keep thinking she's the one to rescue some poor slob.
"Anytime You Need A Friend" has shades of "All Alone In Love" from her debut, but it's enhanced by her usual gospelish backing chorus that includes Kelly Price. Her voice has very strong R&B stylings here. After hearing this I thought, Whitney who?
The title track begins with keys that sound like an actual music box, and is a more quieter and tender affair. Key lyrics: "You take me through the loneliness and the emptiness/And I feel alright 'cause you're by my side."
Clivilles and Cole of the C&C Music Factory get Mariah boogeying down with "Now That I Know" with the skippy percussion. It's the kind of song Taylor Dayne would've torn her hair to get--but she doesn't have the range. There's some old disco-style synths here. The other song they do for her, "I've Been Thinking About You" is the same skippy 80's Paula Abdul-style dance floor pop.
Another three ballads in a row? Stop! Oh, this is sheer bliss!
Mariah and Babyface did the music, lyrics, and backing vocals for "Never Forget You" is one of those "I'll remember you" kind of songs for a departed lover. Then comes her cover of Harry Nilsson's "Without You". While she admirably does this, I find myself siding with Heart's rendition of it on Magazine. "Just To Hold You Once Again" with its resonant organ synth and gospel choir is another "Whitney who?" song. "Even though you're not my lover/even though you're not my friend/I would give my all/to have you ehre/just to hold you once again" goes the chorus. I would give my all? But that's two albums away.
"All I Ever Wanted" which follows the second C&C song, is my favourite ballad here, as it's one loving embrace of a song, hair softly brushing against ear, cheek to cheek, slow-dancing,... it's so wonderful I can't listen to it time after time without melting.
Music Box, with its seven(!) ballads, is one of the three diamonds in the Mariah tiara (hey, that kinda rhymes). The first was of course her debut, and the third would be this album's successor, and was it a daydream come true!

3.0 out of 5 stars MUSIC BOX IS THE ULTIMATE MARIAH CLASSIC, Sept. 22 2003
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
This album should be consider Mariah's peak album!, totally classic, overselling 10 million copies!, including the number one hits Hero and Dreamlover. I totally hated is "Never Forget You": I don't get this track!, many people like it, but for me is totally boring and does not apport nothin' new, why if Babyface made such great tracks for Madonna and Toni make this dreadful song for MC. I remember the video of "Dreamlover" was the first shocker of this album. "Music Box" for my taste is the best track of the album, makes you want to sleep and hug somebody! a total love declaration!, "Anytime You Need A Friend" I love the lyrics, but I must said I enjoyed the C&C Dance Mix better!, "Without You", this cover is way better than the original, Mariah's voice sound strangely painful here, this is a 90's ballad classic!, this album is worth it, a great stand out. Some fillers like the last two ballads(Just To Hold.., All I've Ever...), remain unnoticed. The C&C produce tracks "Now That I Found You" and "I've Been Thinking About You" are great dance numbers and they take out the album monotony. "Hero" a classic, I shoul've give a 4 stars to this album but "Never Forget You" is sooooo bad I'm givin it 3 for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Mariah's best albums!, Sept. 11 2003
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
"Music Box" is one of her best and most succesful albums. I think my version has some more tracks then the listing on amazon.com but then again I got it as a cassette in 3rd grade. Mine has some uptempo dance tracks as well as the beautiful ballads and utptempo numbers. "Dreamlover" marks her longest running number one hit spending at leased 12 weeks at the top of the charts. Another number one hit is "Hero' which is definately one of her best songs and is a signature song from her. My favorite song is the overlooked Top 10 hit "Anytime You Need A Friend" where she sounds amazing! If you liked "My All" then you'll like the beautiful "Just To Hold You Once Again" which is similar. Another highlight is the hit remake "Without You" which is just beautiful. I Really reccomend "Music Box" to Mariah Carey fans as well as casual fans who liked her radio hits. This is great driving music cause it has a mix of slow and uptempo songs, but some of them sound kind of dated, but still a great CD! I also reccomend "Butterfly"!

Music Box (K2hd Remastering)
Music Box (K2hd Remastering) by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2012)