5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best album ever
I love this album. I have the Mexican version, but the cd says: "Lo mejor del siglo XX" Although the CD design, the content it's beautiful, it's loaded with ballads and some R&B and Dance.
DREAMLOVER 10/10
A funny R&B song
HERO 10/10
The best ballad ever written
ANYTIME YOU NEED A FRIEND 10/10
The best song of the album it's...
Published on June 12 2004 by Carlos L.

1.0 out of 5 stars One thing....
Just f.y.i. to neil906 or whoever- of course the Spanish version of "Hero" isn't going to mean the EXACT same thing as the English version! It's like that with MOST translations in music, you're not going to translate WORD FOR WORD because it doesn't work that way! So please let's do our homework before we open our mouths, all right?
Published on June 30 2003

The best ballad ever written
ANYTIME YOU NEED A FRIEND 10/10
The best song of the album it's a ballad with R&B & Gospel elements
MUSIC BOX 10/10
I love it. It has a sadness feeling
NOW THAT I KNOW 10/10
One of the dance hits ever
NEVER FORGET YOU 8/10
Sweet & beautiful but boring
WITHOUT YOU 10/10
This song was number one here in Mexico!!!! I LOVE IT!!!
JUST TO HOLD YOU ONCE AGAIN 10/10
I like it
I'VE BEEN THINKIN' ABOUT YOU 10/10
It has a Hip-Hop style, only needs some rap why not Run DMC?
ALL I'VE EVER WANTED 9/10
Awesome but boring
HEROE 10/10
This is the spanish version of "Hero", Mariah has a very clear Spanish

1.0 out of 5 stars One thing...., June 30 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars music box review, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
Bought it for the song If You Need A Friend, but got so much more, love the songs, love her voice

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah as usual..., April 10 2010
Barbara Augustin (Montreal, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
I'm a fan of Mariah, so I love all of her albums. Just enjoy the voice and the talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing & Sleepy Album., Oct. 31 2009
Steph Feeney (The Shwa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
"Music Box" is Mariah Carey's best selling album and often seen as Mariah Carey's 'masterpiece'. I feel a little differently, I think Mariah Carey's first masterpeice was "Butterfly" where she truly expressed who she was and came out into her own.

The thing with Mariah Carey's earlier work is that it seems very tame and marketable, and at times kind of forced. Of course everyone knows that Mariah Carey was under the thumb of Tommy Mattola at the time in the early nineties and unfortunately recorded a lot of songs she didn't necessarily want to record. Yes - Mariah Carey wrote her own music but from reading interviews and the turn in an R&B direction she took on in the later nineties with "Butterfly" and beyond, I honestly think that is the direction Mariah Carey wanted to be in the whole time.

That aside, 'Music Box' is a slow and more adult-contemporary album. The songs themselves set a mood.

The singles themselves are effective. "Dreamlover" is a breath of fresh air even all these years later and a Mariah classic, "Hero" - it's very schmalzy but even then I think it's pretty effective and Mariah brings so much passion and emotion to the vocals. I love "Everytime You Need A Friend", what a beautiful and moving song. "Without You" is a cover song that was originally by Badfinger and I think Mariah's version is nice.

The title track, 'Music Box' is cute.

The album tries to have a bit of a fun side with songs like "Now That I Know" and "I've Been Thinkin' About You" but they don't fit in in my opinion.

It kind of seems like they were just put there to give the album a bit of a fun side because the majority of the album is very mellow. Not a bad idea, but these songs aren't that great. Perhaps if they were mixed differently or just not included at all, it's be better.

As for the remainder of the tracks - "Never Forget You", "Just To Hold You Once Again", and "All I've Ever Wanted" are nice ballads.

To conclude, 'Music Box' is a nice album. The ballads are beautiful but because of how mellow it is, they shouldn't have included those upbeat dance songs, it really ruins the overall relaxing mood of the album.

In retrospect this album is a landmark and important part of Mariah Carey's discography because of it's cultural impact and significance but in my opinion, it is not her best work in the scope of her career

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Box delivers 4 top ten singles, including two #1 singles!!, July 25 2006
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
Mariah Carey's Dreamlover soared to #1 on the Hot 100 Singles chart in 1993 and the ballad, Hero soon found its' way to #1. Anytime you need a friend and Without you also found their way to the top ten.

Mariah Carey's Music Box is an amazing album and worth listening to.

Mariah Carey gets 5 stars here because it is yet another fantastic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is my Biggest 'Hero', July 18 2004
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
'Music Box' is Mariah's bestselling TO THIS DAY which is quite amazing considering on my media player the songs come up 'Ballads' in the category section. A BIG FAT LIE! "Dreamlover", one of the CD's biggest singles as well as "Now That I Know" (the best song on the album), 'I've Been Thinking About You" are way far away from any ballad form. Note: In the fold-out picture notice the wedding band on her finger. Tommy Mattola (her then husband) has a very distinct style, and this really shows up on the CD. "Anytime You Need A Friend" is great, but it drags on for quite a long time compared to the arguably short "Never Forget You". And the award for most underrated goes to "Without You". "Without you is a classic MC Remake, and she must have spent a darn long time in the studio trying to hit the long note on the second verse. "Hero" is one more #1 off this CD, and it is ok, but after you hear a lot, you get tired of it. The CD ends on a high note with "All I've Ever Wanted". A great buy, so buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated - Not a very good overall CD, July 13 2004
L.A. Scene (Indian Trail, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
If you look at each decade in music, there seems to be an artist that rises as the "Artist of the Decade". Although in some cases you can dispute it, you can make the argument that the following artists dominated their decade: Elvis Presley (1950s), The Beatles (1960s), The Bee Gees (1970s), and Michael Jackson (1980s). The 1990s was a more difficult decade to decide as it was a down decade in the music industry. If you take a look at commercial sales and #1 singles alone, Mariah Carey is one name that certainly comes to the top of the list for 90s artist of the decade. She had #1 songs in nearly every year of the decade and sold lots of albums. Her biggest selling album was her 1993 release entitled "Music Box". "Music Box" sold some 24 to 25 million copies and was a monster selling album. However, this is a case where I just don't get it because I don't believe this is a very good album.
There are several problems I have with "Music Box". First up, the sound is very familiar. The album definitely has a Whitney Houston feel to it - and haven't we had enough Whitney Houston in the 80s. I don't feel this album brings that much new to the table. One thing I will give Mariah credit for is that she plays a much more prevelant role in songwriting than Whitney Houston. Most of her #1 songs have been written by Carey herself. This brings me to the second point - the lyrics - in many cases (with on exception) I don't think the lyrics are all that strong and don't go very deep. Finally, the album just isn't very interesting. There are three good songs, but there isn't much more that is going to capture your interest.
There are three songs that really save this album. "Dreamlover" was a #1 song and is a catchy song with some catchy, but not necessarily deep lyrics. It has somehwat of an 80s feel to it since there is a heavy dose of keyboards and synthesizers in it. Carey herself wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the music and does a nice job. The background vocals are mixed in nicely - I believe they are done by Carey herself. Although "Dreamlover" doesn't go deep with the lyrics, the song "Hero" (another #1 song) does. Personally this is as good a song that Mariah Carey has done. Although it doesn't sound anything like a Dan Fogelberg song, Mariah Carey does something that Dan Fogelberg was a master of in his music - making use of music and lyrics to paint a picture. In this case Carey paints a picture of a Hero. Another analogy in this song is the "Air Supply" approach. The group Air Supply were masters at building a song up to a crescendo and in "Hero" builds up to a magnificent crescendo. Mariah also shows her trademark vocal range in this song. The third song that is worth listening to on the album is the song "Anytime You Need a Friend". This song doesn't get the attention that the #1 hits got on the song, but what really sets this song apart are the gospel-style background vocals in this song. It makes for something different and some enjoyable listening.
After those first three tracks things get boring and uninteresting. The title track "Music Box" doesn't really excite me that much. "Now That I Know", "Just to Hold You Again" , and "All I've Ever Wanted" are ok songs with nice Carey vocals, but sound almost like clones of Whitney Houston songs. "Never Forget You" has its moments, but isn't a song that I'm really going to want to hear. Babyface, who is the co-writer and background vocalist on "Never Forget You" really doesn't kindle any magic like he did when he collaborated with Eric Clapton. The remake of Nillson's "Without You" is helped by Mariah's vocals, but this really isn't one of the better remakes of this song. I don't think "I've Been Thinking About You" does much to stand out in my mind. This song is one of the weaker songwriting efforts by Carey as it seems like she forced the lyrics to work in many parts of this song.
All of the lyrics and credits for the musicians are included in the liner notes. Mariah includes a whole "panel" in the liner notes that has a bunch of "Thank Yous" to the various people whom she collaborated with. Her at the time husband, Sony Boss Tommy Mottola gets a huge thank you - and oh my,have things changed since this album was recorded back in 1992/3.
The Mariah Carey fan will probably like this album. The casual fan will definitely like the hit songs off this album, but I feel this album doesn't bring that much to the table. I do feel this is an example of an album that received a boost from some singles that got a lot of airplay and sales, but as a whole this album just isn't very good. I don't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Mariah, June 17 2004
Classic Mariah! Really shows off her vocal ability

5.0 out of 5 stars That A Hero Lies In You..., June 13 2004
This review is from: Music Box (Audio CD)
Gosh! What a touch heart of this song about 9-11 happened. It is scary but sad. She sang VERY beautiful and wonderful and sexy voice. The song of "Hero" is one of my BEST favorite song off the Music Box CD. And "Without You" is very sad song but very touch heart. I can't tell which CD I like the BEST but I just love all of her CD's from 1990 until 2003. Keep up your hard work, my BEST Mariah Carey! Love you always, Mariah!

ARRAY(0xb3e19768)

Music Box (K2hd Remastering)
Music Box (K2hd Remastering) by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2012)