1,204 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of Silence, the Absence of Light, the Feel of Song
Published on June 1 2004 by Paul K. Goode III

2.0 out of 5 stars Imitation Dark Side of the Moon
Being a Pink Floyd fan, I have purchased every version of this album since it was released 30 years ago.
By far the best version is the SQ Quadraphonic LP version, but as far as the stereo mix goes, the original UK Harvest CD (made in Japan) is still the high point.
Published on April 17 2003 by Kenneth Stuart

2.0 out of 5 stars Imitation Dark Side of the Moon, April 17 2003
Kenneth Stuart (Central California Coast) - See all my reviews
Ten years ago, the fine engineer Doug Sax made a valiant effort, but it is clear listening to that XXth Aniversary Edition CD that the original tapes no longer have the same dynamics they originally had (magnetic analog storage slowly loses it quality).
Nevertheless, I decided to give this new 30th Anniversary CD a try. I should mention here that this is only a review of the standard stereo tracks - I don't yet have an SACD-capable player.
However this release doesn't make me want to run out and buy one. My worst fears have been realized as once again, the overall mix of the album has been lost in favor of "resolving power", ie the ability to hear little details. The problem is that after applying techniques to bring out such details, the engineers have done nothing to restore the original mix of the album.
The result is like a starving artist's copy of a Rembrandt painting - it sounds something like Dark Side of the Moon, but when you hear the real thing, you realize that it is only a faded imitation.
The problem is that few people these days have access to what it actually sounds like. Almost no one listens to their LP versions, and only a handful of people are lucky enough to own the original UK Harvest CD. Furthermore, it seems clear that the engineers of this 30th Anniversary Edition haven't listened to the original, either.
Interestingly, the original engineer, Alan Parsons, asked to be involved in this 30th Anniversary Edition project, but was shut out. It would seem that future listeners suffer as a result.
PS My qualifications: I am a California state certified Studio Recording Engineer. One of my instructors was the original engineer for the drum recordings for "Dark Side of the Moon". I compared the 30th Anniversary Edition, XXth Anniversary Edition, and UK Harvest CDs using AKG K240 Studio Monitor headphones (as used in many studio recording situations over the past 20-30 years).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of Silence, the Absence of Light, the Feel of Song, June 1 2004
Paul K. Goode III (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Side Of The Moon (Audio CD)
Perspective buyers, you are viewing the greatest album of all time and one of the world's greatest works of art; Roger Water's and Pink Floyd's magnum opus, Dark Side of the Moon. Just over two years ago, I was almost entirely unaware of Pink Floyd and knew nothing of their incredible legacy. I had heard of "the Dark Side," but I had never listened to it. And then, I finally bought it. Dark Side of the Moon was the most important purchase of my life. There is no album in the world that is so touchingly beautiful, or so mind-bendingly powerful as Dark Side of the Moon and it will never fail to amaze you.
The sound of a heartbeat resonates through the speakers, confused noise and, finally, cries erupt in a startling crescendo that leads into the ethereal beauty of Breathe and then to the frantic, constant motion of On the Run. As time runs by, with its powerful solo and poignant lyrics, you will find yourself in a reprise and then fall gently into the soundscapes and primal screams of the Great Gig in the Sky. Even if you are not familiar with the album, it is more than likely that you know the next track, Money, which has occupied a position of high standing on FM radio for decades. Us and Them is simply beautiful, no matter how you cut it, and is so wonderfully humanitarian. Any Colour You Like is a delight and the album is then closed with the touching power of the ever-so-sympathetic Brain Damage, wonderful homage to former frontman, Syd Barrett, and seamlessly flows into the great final cry of Eclipse.
My life has been made better and more beautiful by this album. After every listening of Dark Side of the Moon, I am left feeling fulfilled and enriched. So many important facets of human life are addressed in such a compassionate and thoughtful manner that it will leave you feeling that, for that point in time, everything in the world has come together, to resonate as one, just like that mysterious and strangely beautiful heartbeat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Fi sound...?, Jan. 13 2012
For older folks, if stereo sound systems was the thing to have when you were
young...well, this one for you;
Remastering! the absolute heaven to hi-fidelity...well, I don't know if that's true
when you play with the old analogue tape master after 40 years! they degrade too with time...!same for Pink Floyd; Dark side of the moon or Jethro Tull; Aqualung...
I have to admit that this one is very good and more loud(in a good way).I have 4 versions 1986 Japan, 1990 CND, 2003 SACD and now 2011 pressing, they are all good and specialy the 2nd cd live 1974 version that's is the new key feature here ...but prime price is once again ask by the records cie!
the music business with the cd (and super rock group like PF)is over and the mp3 download is hi-infidelity if you have a very good sound system...well, each "my generation" as is thing... enjoy DSOTM and a whisky, while you can...Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fully impressed, Oct. 11 2011
Gis A. Bun (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) (Audio CD)
Like others, the music is great.

Like others the packaging isn't.

They included multiple versions on DVD and duplicated everything on the 2 DVDs to the blue-ray. A bit overkill but fine. What I found odfd was that the live CD and the extras/demos we not on the DVD and blu-ray? The DVD is almost 3/4s empty in space.

As mentioned elsewhere, the 4 discs at the bottom popped out [well 2 of mine] but mine weren't scratched. 2 others came in cardboard sleeves. Why sleeves?

Why bother with some of the extras. Marbes? Scarf is cheap and small.

What gets worse is that the next two box sets will probably contain similar extras and less music - even possibly no blu-ray for The Wall. If a blu-ray is included on this one, why not the others?

1.0 out of 5 stars shameful pressing, Oct. 13 2011
I was sure looking forward to this release. The first copy I received was quite warped and made a noisy whoosh at every revolution. The second copy was better but still warped. There was quite a bit of surface noise, too, and the sound struck me as harsh and thin. Well-pressed vinyl always sounds warm and deep to me. What a shame that Harvest and EMI didn't exercise more quality control on such a special release. I would avoid this version if I were you. The SACD version from a few years back is infinitely superior despite this latest remastering.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor package and scratched disks, Sept. 29 2011
Johnny D. (Trois-Rivières Québec.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) (Audio CD)
I received today the box set. What was my surprise to see all the four disks came off the spindles in the bottom of the box...all four disks scratched!!!!!! I asked for a refund with Amazon since I cannot take the risk to have another boxset with the same problem since many buyers experienced the same problem. So it's an EMI problem. It seems to me that all the stuff have been trown in the box !!! Bad bad bad ....

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh...! nice kit...! but...., Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed the content of the box, both images and c.d., only thing i have to say, the scarf look 300% cheaper than the image seen above, i was expecting something wearable, but its nothing but a useless piece of cheap cloth. the hand-written letter isnt signed, have no idea who has written it. worth buying it, but maybe not for that price. i'll be looking for improvement when "Wish You Were Here Immersion" comes out, in november.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, for a great album!, July 1 2014
The audiophile remastering of this disk is truly something to enjoy!
I could not believe the improvement the sound quality in this remastered disk is compared to the original!
If you want the best sound money can buy, this is a purchase I highly recommend!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this CD., June 1 2014
I grew up in this era but never had the album. I really like "Dark Side of the Moon". Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands from the day. It's great to have the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound., May 3 2014
Stefan Mischook "Nerd" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) (Audio CD)
I bought this for sound and the DVD so I could play the 5.1 in my car.

24bit sound is so much nicer.

S

The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition)
The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 2011)