4.0 out of 5 stars Parker Straight is a good starter!
Published on Aug. 23 2011 by Mr.MR

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmm ok
Published on Feb. 21 2013 by New to DE shaving

4.0 out of 5 stars Parker Straight is a good starter!, Aug. 23 2011
This review is from: Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Edge Razor and 5 Shark Super Stainless blades
I've been using straight razors for about 4 years now, and amassed a small but high quality collection including Dovo, Thiers-Issard, Soligen. This little razor is a great starter or travel razor . Straight's are not for everyone and there is definitely a learning curve, this little razor would be great for someone thinking about getting into shaving with a Straight Razor for a moderate price. Cheers MR.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice shave on the 2nd pass, Jan. 5 2015
Got this blade today and tested it out. *Note* This is my first straight edge razor purchase.

Pros:
- The included shark blades give a very close, nice shave on the 2nd pass. Way closer than my Fusion Proglide or any other 3-4 blade razor I've owned. Once I get more familiar with it I will try a 3rd pass.
- Fits well in your hand
- Blades are easy to change
- Blade arm is stainless steel as described. Nice heavy feel

Cons:
- Learning curve. Had a few cuts but nothing major! May take a few shaves to get the feel for it
- While the blade arm is stainless steel, the handle (or holster or whatever you want to call it) isn't. Seems like color coated plastic. This isn't a huge problem though since you do not use that to shave. All stainless steel would have a nice feel to it though.

5.0 out of 5 stars works, Feb. 20 2013
It is a good begginer razor and it is a good price. I can not complain it allowed me to try out a straight and is pretty cheap but will hold up.

4.0 out of 5 stars razor, Nov. 22 2011
shaving with the straight razor is the best. a closer shave and an experiance. this product works well.changing the blade is a no hassel situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition., Oct. 14 2012
The Parker SR1 shavette may be a "cheap" product but it works well!

The good:
Thin profile of the razor makes it easy to get in under your nose and angle it the way you want.
The sample Shark blades aren't that bad.
The weight/balance seems nice.
Clamp that holds the blade in place is very sturdy.
Not as flimsy as others make it out to be.

The bad:
The pins that hold the razor in place can hit the scales when closing it. The blade itself is covered though.

Edit: I updated the review to be a bit less critical as my initial review was too harsh. After longer use it's been fine razor.

I do not regret this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter, Jan. 31 2013
Great affordable razor to get into straight edge shaving. Ideal started and a surprisingly close shave for the price. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Great value. Great shave., May 2 2015
First off I would like to say that this is my first straight razor and that I, like many others, wanted to try out shaving with a straight razor before making the financial leap into buying a $200-$500 knife to run along my face along with the accessories (ie. strop, hone, stand, case, etc...). My razor arrived last night so I decided to use it this morning as a part of my Saturday morning have routine. When I first opened it I was met with a razor which had a lot more heft then I had expected. I had held the Spilo Magic Razor and the Dovo Shavette and was expecting something alog those lines in terms of weight and I was pleasantly suprised when I felt this. The balance is great and the shark blades it came with felt great to shave with. The product feels very sturdy and I have not noticed any issues I have read about others having. My first shave took me almost an hour for 2 passes but it was worth it. And it's true what they say: It's not hard to use if you ale your time. Findin the right angel was my issue but by my second pass I had no issues. Great product for the cost and it will last me for years to come. The only reason I only gave it a 4/5 is because I have nothing else to compare the shave to in terms of other straight razors and shavettes. Well worth the buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmm ok, Feb. 21 2013
I'm using this razor as a stepping stone to straight razor shaving - with the replaceable blades it is less maintenance. As other reviews have noted, the construction is fairly poor especially the rivets that hold the scales together look like they were beat by an unskilled hammersmith. Otherwise it does the the job its meant to do. The Shark super stainless blades are quite good (better than Derby that I've snapped in half myself).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Straight Edge Razor, Dec 5 2014
Good starter before buying a high quality, standard straight edge razor. The replacement blades are cheap, so maintenance isn't an issue. The experience of a straight edge is much more involving than newer razors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, Feb. 10 2013
This is my first straight edge razor and purchased the Parker SR1 because I figured if I didn't like shaving this way, I would not have spent too much money on it. The initial 10 times were full of trial and error and cuts and lots of time wasted. Then I did more research on YouTube and have since become quite proficient with it.

The actual product itself is fairly light and sturdy as it is stainless steel. I find it extremely easy to change blades every time as well as manoeuvre it with ease. The blade retracts snugly back and will not unfold by itself. The product is made in India, but this should not serve as a deterrent. The only reason I am giving this 4/5 stars is because in my opinion the handle is too light.

Overall great product especially if this is your first straight edge razor.

CDN$ 37.45 CDN$ 29.95