Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Kindle Music Deals Store Cook Cycling Tools

The extent to which this film has been cast aside and misunderstood even within those that makes claims as to having enjoyed it is unparalleled. To begin there is not one ounce of true exploitation in Sucker Punch. Snyder carefully chose his shots, costumes etc as to avoid becoming a T & A film. The point of showing girls wrapped in costumes representative of fetish was to attract a certain crowd and illustrate a point; fantasy is fun and without consequence if you understand the boundaries of fantasy. If you begin to loose sight of the boundaries of fantasy you begin to apply those concepts to the real world and there are consequences. Hence, no real death in the fantasy world until it leaks into the "real world" and starts to break it down. Movie goers, consumers, etc are obsessed with over-sensualizing teen girls (ie From Annette Funicello to Brooke Shields to Brittany Spears up through Miley Cyrus). By doing this teen girls grow up as prisoners of their own sexuality and are taught to "empower" themselves with it against the brute force of men. A subjective empowerment all women will enact on more than one occasion and that all women will loathe and/or enjoy at one time or another; sometimes both. That is one of the many questions Snyder poses; where is the line and what messages are we sending, specifically in Hollywood where T & A is the name of the game for most starlets.

There is also a lot of criticism for the so-called lack of inspired imagery; orcs, nazis, robots, etc. Again, this was the point. Tired of X-Men 5, Batman 6, Harry Potter 7, reboot, redeux, and remakes? Where something old is made new again? Snyder again was addressing the collapsing of the fibre of Hollywood and admitting, as with the girls, it's all fun but what is the cost? This same point is driven home through the music selection- riddled with remakes, reboots and samples and presented in the most decadent hyper-stylized way. Listen to the dialogue again...Snyder is speaking directly to the audience...even referencing his own contributions to the mess of genre flicks swarming the market. Amazing just how intelligent and brave this film is and how far critics and audiences alike have fallen in their film intellect over the last decade or two. The main flaw of the film is in the unintended feel good ending enlisted by the studio after the original ending was far too challenging for screening audiences. Amusing how the film to which Sucker Punch repeatedly tips it's hat to, Brazil, went through the very same struggles to be heard.

The "Sucker Punch" was the act of making a film with the purpose of baiting the audience with promises of action without consequence, sex without abuse, 2 fun-filled hours without introspection but in turn giving the audience creepy feelings of voyeurism and making the audience uneasy with enjoying the action that turned to violence. Unfortunately it's all worse than Zack Snyder thought; he gave the audience too much credit and they never realized he was taking to them about the state of affairs. Great film.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Holy crap on a cracker. Alright, so I already dug Watchmen. I'm not too much into modern movies usually, especially ones with a lot of CG, but Watchmen really got me. It was 50% the comic and 50% the style of the movie. So obviously I wanted to see what Snyder would do next and then came Sucker Punch, this time an original story.

Holy crap, I say again! I thought it was going to be all visuals with no worthwhile story. But I was happily wrong on that one. Yes, Sucker Punch is at least 50% there to punch you in the eyeballs and titilate your every dream. Which actually kind of works into the theme of the story. But there's a cool quest storyline as well as some character backstory stuff that all ties together. I mean, this director's cut is 128 minutes long. There's plenty of room there for action, but when it goes back to story, it's just as interesting. In fact, as much as I enjoy the visuals of the action scenes (I'm a total sucker for steampunk) I felt the movie was at its best when concentrating on our five heroines.

One of the biggest criticisms of this movie is the whole exploitation angle. Well, I think any of the five characters in this movie would happily kick your tail for that. Is there an excessive amount of skin? I have to say slightly. But only slightly, because it while it is unnecessary to the plot, it is not excessive. Hell, the movie is so tame that it even silenced an "f" bomb in the dialogue. What movie does that these days?

I also loved the fact that this is a movie with five heroines, kicking butt and taking names. Sure, Scott Glen is there as a guiding figure. But he's more of an Obi-Wan Kenobi, he's not involved in the kicking of butts nor the taking of names. I can't think of any other recent action movies with five heroines and no male heroes.

My biggest beef with this movie is how it feels like a video game when it reverts to the action scenes. From the music to the slow mo to the choreography, it feels way too much like a video game during these scenes. I mean, the train scene...I played a game like that once. Not to mention there's this gamey quest aspect to the story. However before too long it quickly reverts back to another level of reality -- not startlingly so -- and then we're back in a place slightly more rooted in the real world.

But not entirely. The movie feels very much like a painting, whether one of oil or pixels. Every shot seems meticulously composed. Every movement and expression, pre-planned. This isn't a bad thing. It's one thing I liked about Watchmen. And I sure liked Watchmen.

The soundtrack is, once again, brilliant. I dig the fact that we're listening to Bjork in the 1960's. And why the hell not? Another highlight is a modern remake of "White Rabbit". These songs play into the storyline, and recur at key moments like theme songs for each scene. I even liked the Queen medley rap thingy.

I've read reviews of this movie that compared it to Brazil. That's pushing it. They both have lobotomies in them and intense fantasy sequences. But Sucker Punch is not bad. The acting is fine. I mean, Jena Malone's an established actress by now. I don't know anything about the other actresses, except I remember seeing Lemony Snicketts and thinking that girl was really talented. Well that girl plays the lead role of Babydoll here.

By the way, there were no Nazis in this movie...there were no Nazis during WWI, where the scene in question took place. Do kids not know history anymore?

I really liked Sucker Punch, flaws and all. If you think you would too, go for it. I think it's a fun ride that won't rot your brain at the same time.

4 stars.

4 stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 7, 2013
Personally, I will never understand all the criticism Sucker Punch got or still gets to this day, especially since there are in existence way more deranged films being acclaimed such as A Clockwork Orange for example, or even less intellectual properties being adored such as the Transformers or the Fast and Furious franchises. Not that those aren't enjoyable, I just fail to see what they have that Sucker Punch lacks. The premise of this film is quite simple, so simple in fact that you didn't even need any dialog to understand the opening set-up. The main character then gets taken to the asylum and that's probably where people lose grasp of the perception they had of the film as it drastically morphs into something entirely different. I think of it as starting to eat steak and potatoes, and then realising it tastes like blueberry cheesecake. So I can see how some might be put off by it, I just can't see why many would consider it that bad, or the worst thing they've tasted in their entire lives. The trailer even showed both the fantastical action oriented aspects as much as the melodramatic psychological underlay, so I knew I'd be getting two meals in one plate from the get-go, and I can't understand how people could have expected anything else.

The very point of the movie was entirely about perception, state of mind and psychological struggle. It might not have laid out everything for you like Inception did, but it's just as smart a concept if not more so than Inception's. I'm not going to pretend it's deeper than a beatnik's wet dream because it clearly wasn't (neither was Inception, btw), which is what I actually appreciated most from this film. It didn't pretend to be any more than what it was, which I felt was refreshing. It was just someone's screwed up perception of the particular situation she was in and how she found deep within herself the power to psychologically set herself free. I'd imagine anyone being taken out of society on account of needing any psycho-medication, to live in their own bubble-world where things aren't perceived the same way as they are for us. Could it have used more character development? What movie couldn't? Inception itself featured a dozen shoehorned characters thrown into the plot like a reality show on a desert island. However it still gets plenty of stars all around and even I was able to enjoy it on the second try.

The lead character was heavily traumatised and suffered great psychological consequences because of it. She was caged into an asylum she felt resembled her day and age's mob controlled burlesque backstreet cabarets. If you noticed the car at the beginning and the bus at the end, you'd know this film wasn't taking place in 2011. The staff chief was the pimp that kept her caged and her shrink was the stage director that helped her blossom. The old man she had as a guide was what the opening narration labelled an "angel", but as a shaman I prefer to think of him as her own higher self. In fact, the whole movie felt like one huge shamanic journey to me and I felt it was very well executed. Snyder proved to me once again that he was indeed the visual master I always saw him as, even giving us slow-motion in scenes that actually suited it this time around, contrary to Watchmen. And I found the high definition home theatre experience to be entirely breathtaking.

The one thing I simply can't get behind no matter how hard I try is how feminists could ever think the movie was degrading to women. For the love of humanity, this wasn't "Showgirls", people! There wasn't even the slightest nip-slip or camel toe to be found. In fact, coming from 300 and Watchmen, i was surprised there wasn't any actual nudity what so ever. I'm not saying it could've used some but it might actually have given feminists something concrete to base their arguments on. How they can let slip or even enjoy Moulin Rouge yet unleash their unyielding wraths on Sucker Punch is completely and utterly beyond me. There wasn't even a rape scene, not even an implied one. Sure, one was "about to" take place in one scene but it didn't. Shouldn't people be glad about that? So what was the problem? Was it that it was historically accurate in portraying such a dirty yet common aspect of that society at that time? By all means, let us all start burning down and ignoring our history because we shouldn't be learning from it, we should just be forgetting it ever existed just so it can better repeat itself. Was it that it was women being caged by men? Are you honestly willing to argue that there were never any all-female asylums before? And that especially in that day and age, the guards weren't mostly male? I'm pretty sure that's a fairly historically accurate rendition, as far as I've heard. Judging from all their raving, "A League Of Their Own" must be the most misogynistic, sexist and degrading movie ever made. Oh but it had Rosie and Madonna in it so it gets a pass.

In conclusion, this film definitely wasn't all that it was hyped up to be prior to opening, as most blockbusters tend to suffer the same fate in our internet based day and age, but there is no argument in the world that could prove it to be any worse than many successful and loved classic masterpieces as well as current cinematic franchises. It all comes down to personal tastes but I just hope you can all be as thorough with your explanations as I was with mine or else you might well be suffering from a slight case of double standards and/or "sheepherdism".

Sucker Punch was well worth 3.5 Stars out of 5, for my tastes but i'll give it a 4 on here to piss off all of the internet.

Read more at [...]
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This has got to be one of the strangest and at times most disturbing movies that I have ever seen! I'm not sure how to classify it.

On one hand, it's very similar at times to that old Jack Nicholson classic, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest!" On the other hand, when she drifts into her fantasy world, it's something right out of "The Animatrix." It's that type of film!

I guess I'd have to call it an art film. Although a very high quality and professionally visually stunning one! Something along the lines of "Pan's Labyrinth" which in many ways is very similar. Gritty soul destroying reality coupled side by side with absolute stunning fantasy! A story inside a story inside yet another story! Which is probably why there's such a wide variety of reviews. It depends on which part of this movie you're reviewing!

So if you're looking for a straight forward sci-fi action movie, you're gonna say, "What the f**k!" And rate it accordingly. Not that there aren't superb action sequences, there are. But they're interspersed with that soul destroying reality part or that other story inside the story part!

On the other hand, if you really like that sort of thing, like Pan's Labyrinth or Cukoo's Nest or The Animatrix. Then this film is probably for you. It slowly peels back like an onion revealing yet another layer until you're not sure what's real anymore or where it's going. All you can do is hold on for the time of your life. Just like the heroine.

Personally, I'm not really into that sort of film so I'd probably give my copy away if there wasn't all that fantastic fantasy action side which takes up about half of the movie. It's among the best sci-fi/fantasy stuff I've ever seen. So I'll probably keep this for that alone and skip over the drama part. So for me it probably rates a three while for you......., the mileage will undoubtedly vary!

J. A.
on November 18, 2011
Sucker Punch has spectacular imagery and although the story may be a bit weird for some, I would definitely recommend watching it.

The movie has an almost Alice-in-wonderland feel to it. From start to finish, Sucker Punch is an awesome ride that will keep you in awe, wondering how it will end.
on July 28, 2011
Fantastic blend of cool imagery, amazing sound and music.
The girls are amazing and the films layers intricately woven by the director.
It's an event.
The blu ray extended version is the one to buy of course as there's more music, action and menace. I'm not happy with the triple disc edition though. Why do I want the shorter version on Dvd? Also, I wouldn't need the shorter version on blu ray either if it weren't for the fact that the animated extras ( and a short soundtrack extra that's not worth watching) do not appear on the extended version! So I have to keep this disc just for them. Why not have both versions on one disc? Also, the maximum movie mode is good but I wanted documentaries separate or the ability to view in full screen!
So the extras are a huge disappointment. Still, the film is awesome so I'll live!
Long live Babydoll!
on December 5, 2011
This is one of those films that you either love instantly or don't get, instantly. The visuals and graphics are amazing and it's a feast for the eyes and the ears. This has one of the best soundtracks you will find in current times, which is interpreted in refreshing way. The concept of music transforming reality is exactly how avid music lovers feel....music takes you to a whole other plane and this soundtrack taps into that perfectly. Alot of critics make note of the strange concept of the storyline, but I find that is what is so captivating about it. It is 3 different perspectives coming together in someone's mind. One true, one imaginary, one fantasy. Seperating them is half the fun in watching this movie.
on June 15, 2011
I loved this movie! The action, and fantasy elements in it were awesome. My guy friend and I went to see it twice in IMax at the movie theatre, and we can't wait to see it on DVD, with the special features, and such. A lot of my other friends didn't really like the movie though. I guess it's the type of movie you either really like, or don't. My favourite character was Sweet Pea, and I thought the movie had a cool soundtrack that went perfectly with the action scenes. :)
on May 25, 2012
Beautifully shot, intense, disturbing and very atmospheric. A well chosen and well recorded soundtrack draws you in while the imagery holds you tight. This movie is not for everyone however as it can get quite surreal with many mini-movies within a larger movie. It all flows extremely well, as all side journeys are metaphors for the main theme of the movie. It is my favourite of recently watched movies. If you prefer straight forward stories, avoid this one. If, however you like unusual movies with engaging music, you will be rewarded!