Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Holy crap on a cracker. Alright, so I already dug Watchmen. I'm not too much into modern movies usually, especially ones with a lot of CG, but Watchmen really got me. It was 50% the comic and 50% the style of the movie. So obviously I wanted to see what Snyder would do next and then came Sucker Punch, this time an original story.

Holy crap, I say again! I thought it was going to be all visuals with no worthwhile story. But I was happily wrong on that one. Yes, Sucker Punch is at least 50% there to punch you in the eyeballs and titilate your every dream. Which actually kind of works into the theme of the story. But there's a cool quest storyline as well as some character backstory stuff that all ties together. I mean, this director's cut is 128 minutes long. There's plenty of room there for action, but when it goes back to story, it's just as interesting. In fact, as much as I enjoy the visuals of the action scenes (I'm a total sucker for steampunk) I felt the movie was at its best when concentrating on our five heroines.

One of the biggest criticisms of this movie is the whole exploitation angle. Well, I think any of the five characters in this movie would happily kick your tail for that. Is there an excessive amount of skin? I have to say slightly. But only slightly, because it while it is unnecessary to the plot, it is not excessive. Hell, the movie is so tame that it even silenced an "f" bomb in the dialogue. What movie does that these days?

I also loved the fact that this is a movie with five heroines, kicking butt and taking names. Sure, Scott Glen is there as a guiding figure. But he's more of an Obi-Wan Kenobi, he's not involved in the kicking of butts nor the taking of names. I can't think of any other recent action movies with five heroines and no male heroes.

My biggest beef with this movie is how it feels like a video game when it reverts to the action scenes. From the music to the slow mo to the choreography, it feels way too much like a video game during these scenes. I mean, the train scene...I played a game like that once. Not to mention there's this gamey quest aspect to the story. However before too long it quickly reverts back to another level of reality -- not startlingly so -- and then we're back in a place slightly more rooted in the real world.

But not entirely. The movie feels very much like a painting, whether one of oil or pixels. Every shot seems meticulously composed. Every movement and expression, pre-planned. This isn't a bad thing. It's one thing I liked about Watchmen. And I sure liked Watchmen.

The soundtrack is, once again, brilliant. I dig the fact that we're listening to Bjork in the 1960's. And why the hell not? Another highlight is a modern remake of "White Rabbit". These songs play into the storyline, and recur at key moments like theme songs for each scene. I even liked the Queen medley rap thingy.

I've read reviews of this movie that compared it to Brazil. That's pushing it. They both have lobotomies in them and intense fantasy sequences. But Sucker Punch is not bad. The acting is fine. I mean, Jena Malone's an established actress by now. I don't know anything about the other actresses, except I remember seeing Lemony Snicketts and thinking that girl was really talented. Well that girl plays the lead role of Babydoll here.

By the way, there were no Nazis in this movie...there were no Nazis during WWI, where the scene in question took place. Do kids not know history anymore?

I really liked Sucker Punch, flaws and all. If you think you would too, go for it. I think it's a fun ride that won't rot your brain at the same time.

4 stars.

4 stars.
on June 7, 2013
Personally, I will never understand all the criticism Sucker Punch got or still gets to this day, especially since there are in existence way more deranged films being acclaimed such as A Clockwork Orange for example, or even less intellectual properties being adored such as the Transformers or the Fast and Furious franchises. Not that those aren't enjoyable, I just fail to see what they have that Sucker Punch lacks. The premise of this film is quite simple, so simple in fact that you didn't even need any dialog to understand the opening set-up. The main character then gets taken to the asylum and that's probably where people lose grasp of the perception they had of the film as it drastically morphs into something entirely different. I think of it as starting to eat steak and potatoes, and then realising it tastes like blueberry cheesecake. So I can see how some might be put off by it, I just can't see why many would consider it that bad, or the worst thing they've tasted in their entire lives. The trailer even showed both the fantastical action oriented aspects as much as the melodramatic psychological underlay, so I knew I'd be getting two meals in one plate from the get-go, and I can't understand how people could have expected anything else.

The very point of the movie was entirely about perception, state of mind and psychological struggle. It might not have laid out everything for you like Inception did, but it's just as smart a concept if not more so than Inception's. I'm not going to pretend it's deeper than a beatnik's wet dream because it clearly wasn't (neither was Inception, btw), which is what I actually appreciated most from this film. It didn't pretend to be any more than what it was, which I felt was refreshing. It was just someone's screwed up perception of the particular situation she was in and how she found deep within herself the power to psychologically set herself free. I'd imagine anyone being taken out of society on account of needing any psycho-medication, to live in their own bubble-world where things aren't perceived the same way as they are for us. Could it have used more character development? What movie couldn't? Inception itself featured a dozen shoehorned characters thrown into the plot like a reality show on a desert island. However it still gets plenty of stars all around and even I was able to enjoy it on the second try.

The lead character was heavily traumatised and suffered great psychological consequences because of it. She was caged into an asylum she felt resembled her day and age's mob controlled burlesque backstreet cabarets. If you noticed the car at the beginning and the bus at the end, you'd know this film wasn't taking place in 2011. The staff chief was the pimp that kept her caged and her shrink was the stage director that helped her blossom. The old man she had as a guide was what the opening narration labelled an "angel", but as a shaman I prefer to think of him as her own higher self. In fact, the whole movie felt like one huge shamanic journey to me and I felt it was very well executed. Snyder proved to me once again that he was indeed the visual master I always saw him as, even giving us slow-motion in scenes that actually suited it this time around, contrary to Watchmen. And I found the high definition home theatre experience to be entirely breathtaking.

The one thing I simply can't get behind no matter how hard I try is how feminists could ever think the movie was degrading to women. For the love of humanity, this wasn't "Showgirls", people! There wasn't even the slightest nip-slip or camel toe to be found. In fact, coming from 300 and Watchmen, i was surprised there wasn't any actual nudity what so ever. I'm not saying it could've used some but it might actually have given feminists something concrete to base their arguments on. How they can let slip or even enjoy Moulin Rouge yet unleash their unyielding wraths on Sucker Punch is completely and utterly beyond me. There wasn't even a rape scene, not even an implied one. Sure, one was "about to" take place in one scene but it didn't. Shouldn't people be glad about that? So what was the problem? Was it that it was historically accurate in portraying such a dirty yet common aspect of that society at that time? By all means, let us all start burning down and ignoring our history because we shouldn't be learning from it, we should just be forgetting it ever existed just so it can better repeat itself. Was it that it was women being caged by men? Are you honestly willing to argue that there were never any all-female asylums before? And that especially in that day and age, the guards weren't mostly male? I'm pretty sure that's a fairly historically accurate rendition, as far as I've heard. Judging from all their raving, "A League Of Their Own" must be the most misogynistic, sexist and degrading movie ever made. Oh but it had Rosie and Madonna in it so it gets a pass.

In conclusion, this film definitely wasn't all that it was hyped up to be prior to opening, as most blockbusters tend to suffer the same fate in our internet based day and age, but there is no argument in the world that could prove it to be any worse than many successful and loved classic masterpieces as well as current cinematic franchises. It all comes down to personal tastes but I just hope you can all be as thorough with your explanations as I was with mine or else you might well be suffering from a slight case of double standards and/or "sheepherdism".

Sucker Punch was well worth 3.5 Stars out of 5, for my tastes but i'll give it a 4 on here to piss off all of the internet.

Read more at [...]
on November 18, 2011
Sucker Punch has spectacular imagery and although the story may be a bit weird for some, I would definitely recommend watching it.

The movie has an almost Alice-in-wonderland feel to it. From start to finish, Sucker Punch is an awesome ride that will keep you in awe, wondering how it will end.
on July 28, 2011
Fantastic blend of cool imagery, amazing sound and music.
The girls are amazing and the films layers intricately woven by the director.
It's an event.
The blu ray extended version is the one to buy of course as there's more music, action and menace. I'm not happy with the triple disc edition though. Why do I want the shorter version on Dvd? Also, I wouldn't need the shorter version on blu ray either if it weren't for the fact that the animated extras ( and a short soundtrack extra that's not worth watching) do not appear on the extended version! So I have to keep this disc just for them. Why not have both versions on one disc? Also, the maximum movie mode is good but I wanted documentaries separate or the ability to view in full screen!
So the extras are a huge disappointment. Still, the film is awesome so I'll live!
Long live Babydoll!
on December 3, 2014
L'histoire est spéciale et les jeux d'éclairage sont vraiment super intéressant. Les actrices sont jolies, mais l'utilisation de leur corps n'est qu'à moitié justifié par l'histoire. Disons que la pochette sexy et la sur utilisation des corps fait passer le reste du film en second plan ce qui est dommage, parce que le traitement des images et la réalisation sont très intéressant
on April 12, 2014
A disturbing flick that kept me in the story, tho at first I thought it was corny, then it turned out to be anything but, once I figured out what was going on. Movie arrived in good time and in excellent condition. I think I would like to see a remake of this sometime, done a bit differently.
on July 25, 2013
It is a Zack Snyder movie after all. I didn't watch it expecting Shakespeare or Citizen Kane so going in I was happy with the amazing visuals and simple plot. Your basically watching a video game. Oh and I didn't think the added scenes in the extended version added anything.
on August 3, 2011
liked the action during the dances, but seemed like not enough of it! good choice of actors too!! maybe the next one will deliver!.note: if you do not focus closely while watching this movie it will leave you confused!