4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Garmin but

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete maps on RoadMate 5045T-EU
Published 17 months ago by Robert Richer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Garmin but, Dec 23 2011
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
I have had a Garmin GPS for several years, having bought it because it included European maps as well as North American ones. I had difficulty trying to download map updates so when I found this Magellan unit that also included European maps for less money than map updates I bought it. I have only used it in our province but it seems reasonably accurate, but the voice is a bit wavery and not as clear as the one on my Garmin. Instead of giving another voice command at a turn it just chimes, having given instructions at 3 km and 2km and 1km. It is OK but takes a little getting used to. It does offer new instructions very quickly if you do not take the recommended turns while the Garmin unit says recalculating and takes a little longer to come up with new instructions. Another feature that is different is that it does not give your speed if you are just viewing the map. I find this feature helpful as a check against my speedometer. Another feature of the Magellan is that it defaults to a fairly close view of the map. This can be changed by touching the + button, but I find it helpful to be able to see a block or two ahead especially at night when it is hard to see street signs until up close. My Garmin defaults to showing a larger view which I prefer. My Magellan unit has a larger screen, but I don't this is an advantage since it blocks more of the view and is bulkier to take on a trip when I will be renting a vehicle. I find the 3 1/2" screen to be perfectly adequate. I know these are personal likes, but perhaps they will be helpful to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete maps on RoadMate 5045T-EU, June 18 2013
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
This is the first time I buy a Magellan GPS. I just bought a RoadMate 5045T-EU for my trip to Turkey. I loaded the Europe maps and made all the updates availables. I tried to enter my destinations in Turkey and I found none of the hotels I’m going to even if they a in touristic cities! In fact many cities seem not to exist nor the roads! Sometimes there are city names but no streets!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 8 2012
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
I bought it at a discount price. and it is my first GPS. Big and bright screen. Only one thing I feel not comfortable, you can't charge it through USB by PC even the manual said so. I had difficulties to turn it on since the battery was run up when I got it. But everything is working well after I fully charged it in my car.

4.0 out of 5 stars magellan roadmate 5045T-EU GPS navigator, March 31 2012
Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator
Got horribly lost going to a wedding in a snow storm. All signs covered in snow, so purchased a GPS, and am slowly learning how to use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars to avoid in the province of Quebec, Dec 5 2011
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
Let's say your street name is called ''Avenue du Mont-Royal'', well normally you would use the letter ''M'' to search for Mont-Royal on Garmin, TomTom and Google. But not with Magellan, with Magellan everything starts with the letter ''D''.

You have search for ''du Mont-Royal'' with the letter ''D'' first for ''du''

this made this GPS unusable in the streets of Montreal where many streets have a the words du or de preceding the name.

Imagine this in Europe in Spain, Portugal, Italy or France.... all street names would start with the letter ''D'' in the search function of this GPS.

Useless for Montreal, Qc. Stick to Garming or TomTom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to Europe?, April 5 2014
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
If you are then this is the unit for you. It comes with North American and European maps. I needed some help with getting access to the European maps (select region). I used this in Spain and it make driving - especially in the cities, easy. Used it in Barcelona, Madrid and Seville. Highly recommend it - even if you are normally a Garmin user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 25 2013
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator (Electronics)
Perfect for Europ and North-America.

Magellan RoadMate 5045T-EU GPS navigator