4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but evolving show
Published 22 months ago by A. Volk

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Twice = Sad Customer
Ordered this product and it came broken. Got a replacement, it was also broken, now they wont bother sending me a new one just got a refund. Now i don't have this season and I really wanted it... Very disappointed
Published 5 months ago by TreNutt

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but evolving show, Sept. 3 2012
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
The first few seasons of this show were as funny as they were different from other TV shows. A group of ultra-nerds whose humor often involved actual scientific jokes made for wicked comedy for people who like cerebral humor. But the show had enough good acting and physical humor (think of Sheldon's expressions and voice) that just about anyone could find it funny, even if they missed the "inside" science jokes. Well, that could only last for so long as the show both started using up that kind of material as well as starting appealing to a broader audience. So in the fifth season, we see a move towards more traditional humor, while still keeping some of the great nerdness of the show.

The ultra-nerds are now mostly just super-nerds, as they are "normalizing" with girlfriends, more normal problems, and in essence, turning this show more into Friends than it was at the beginning. Don't get me wrong, the fifth season is still very much a creative and hilarious show that is full of science and nerd jokes that are sure to make you laugh out loud. Only the show is no longer purely about how awkward and unusual its characters are. Leonard is learning about women, Howard is mellowing out his creepy/bizarre "romantic" ideas, and Raj is increasingly able to speak in front of women (often thanks to a convenient drink in his hand). Sheldon is still mostly Sheldon, although his new girlfriend takes some of the edge off him. I quite like the addition of Bernadette who fits well with the existing cast. Amy isn't quite as good of a fit, largely because I think Sheldon was at least as funny, if not funnier, when he was single. Penny is still an excellent counterbalance for the group, although she now is starting to get, or at least know, some of the science jokes. Her relationship with Leonard is made more interesting by last season's addition of Priya, Raj's sister and sometimes love interest of Leonard. This makes Leonard a little less desperate than in the past.

So all in all, this is a very funny season to watch. Maybe not as funny and fresh as the original few seasons, but it's still my favorite current sitcom (yes, I hope it keeps going strong in season 6). If you are new to the series, I'd highly recommend you start with either season one or two, so you can get a sense of how the characters have evolved over the series. If you're a fan of the show, then this is a strong addition to any collection. I'd like to give it 4.5 stars, but seeing as how I think it's not quite as funny as the first seasons, I decided to give it four stars. It's still great comedy, just different from the original seasons that launched it. TBBT season 5 might no longer be a pure nerd-fest, but that might be a good thing insofar as broadening the appeal of this show, and it's still whole lot funnier than most of the other shows out there. An easy recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Bang, Feb. 9 2013
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
We enjoy this show and so have loved having this season to watch our favourites when we want. The quirky humour is a nice break from all the heavier stuff on tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bang, Jan. 31 2013
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
We love this show and continue to laugh and laugh. We will be getting season six when released. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Nov. 26 2012
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
Like any good series there comes a time when it is too much, unfortunately that is what i am finding with "The Big Bang". As time goes on the punch lines are weak and we don't see too much of Sheldon he sort of stays in the back to give the other caracters a chance. I just don't feel that evergy they had in beginning, I know caracters have to evolve and go on to other things but as time goes by I find myself not able to stand Penny anymore, she gets on my nerves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still funny after 5 years, Sept. 13 2012
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
I've enjoyed all 5 seasons of the Big Bang Theory and was thrilled when my copy of Season 6 arrived yesterday. Thanks Amazon.ca for being so fast in delivery.
The show continues to be brilliantly written and acted. Bernadette and Amy have added so much to the cast and watching Howard become less slimy around women and Sheldon become more human around Amy has been gratifying. The show still makes me laugh. I grew up with a "Sheldon" next door- his name was William and his parents were like Leonard's. Those people do exist. Looking forward to Sept. 27th when the 6th season starts. Keep the laughs coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4 2014
kaitlyn derrah (fredericton, nb, CA) - See all my reviews
loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bang, June 27 2014
John Brkich - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
Great watch. I am a committed fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 17 2014
David C. Hogg "Consortium Developer" (Kitchener, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
What can I say - it is the Big Bang Theory folks - AND there are no commercials.
We are very happy with the quality as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, April 21 2014
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
It's The Big Bang Theory! It's awesome and funny as always. Now I can watch the episodes whenever I want. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars LoL, March 18 2014
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
Very funny stuff. The shoe finds new ways in making me laugh at my inner nerd. If you have never seen the show get season one and work your way to this season.

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season by Bill Prady Chuck Lorre (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 33.74 CDN$ 17.99