5.0 out of 5 stars There were THREE versions of this movie!
This is my fourth post on this movie now, and I think I have finally figured it out.
In 1992, I watched this movie in a local theater in Southern California. I was enthralled and loved the movie, and watched it a second time. And that was the last time I ever saw this version of this movie.
In 2000, I got the Director's Cut version of the DVD. I was appalled...
Published on May 13 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem with the French language
Multiple sequences, in the projection, has not been translated; so lips are going on but no sound has been added.

So, this product is no to cool!
Published 6 months ago by M Bouchard Cartographe

5.0 out of 5 stars There were THREE versions of this movie!, May 13 2004
By A Customer
In 2000, I got the Director's Cut version of the DVD. I was appalled by how different the Director's Cut was from the version that I remembered from 1992 (I hadn't seen the movie in the interval eight years). I posted my comments at the time on Amazon.com as to what I remembered to be the differences between the two versions on March 23, 2000. That post is still on this website, if you can manage to slog through the hundreds of posts ahead of it.
If you read that post, you will notice that I am describing a really different movie - at that time I really thought that the movie that I saw in 1992 was what everybody else saw in the theaters.
Recently, I discovered, to my chagrin, that the version that I saw in the theater in 1992, was most likely a "preview" version, not the Main Theatrical version that was released later, which probably most everybody else saw in 1992. I don't have the foggiest idea how I ended up watching a "preview" version of this movie, but that's what must have happened, based on a lot of researching around.
And so, I only recently discovered that this Main Theatrical version was the one that was put into all of the VHS tape versions of this movie. The VHS tapes have not changed versions. DVDs in Region 4 (Australia) and Region 2 encoding have been released recently that also contain this Main Theatrical version.
Having finally figured out that there were really three versions of this movie, I can say now that the differences between the Director's Cut version and the Main Theatrical version are actually relatively minor, compared to the differences between the "preview" version that I saw. In the Director's Cut, Hawkeye has some of his snappy one-liners cut out, Cora has a line at the waterfall cut, the Clannad song is cut, Duncan has an extra scene fighting with his men at the fort, and Chingachgook has some more words to say at end. That's pretty much it.
In my Amazon.com review of March 23, 2000, I went into a good amount of detail as to what the major differences were between the "preview" theatrical version that I saw and the Director's Cut. I won't repeat all of these details. There were so many scenes changed or removed that the preview version was practically a different movie.
The preview version was a significantly longer movie - it had more scenes of Hawkeye and Cora together at the fort, with a greater buildup to their romance; it had a true Uncas- Alice love story, and makes clear in their final scene at the cliff that they died for each other, and died together (in the preview version, there was a clear-cut shot of their bodies together at the bottom of the cliff, which was changed to a wide-angled shot of the bottom of the cliff where their bodies are just tiny indistinguishable specks).
The preview version also had more of an anachronistic, hip, Miami Vice sort of stylishness. Miami Vice, had been, after all, Michael Mann's previous gig. My guess is that it was mainly to get away from this previous style and to give it more of a gritty, historical feel that the movie was heavily re-edited for the Main Theatrical release; it seems to have been re-edited again in even more of this same make-it more-historical vein in 1999 for the Director's Cut.
To the best of my knowledge, this "preview" version of "The Last of the Mohicans" has never seen the light of day again since 1992.
Which is truly a pity, because the newer fans of this movie ought to know that there were indeed THREE versions of this movie. The preview version was a much more romantic, visually powerful film. Fox should release it again - so many "Special Edition" DVDs are being released now with deleted scenes, "making of" stories and so forth. If Fox were to release this preview version, packaged together with the Main Theatrical version, as well as deleted scenes (there was apparently more of the Uncas-Alice love story at the waterfall), they would have a real winner for the Region 1 market. Currently, in Region 1 (US/Canada) the DVD of this movie is available only in the Director's Cut version. What a shame.
I'd be the first in line to buy this preview version of this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Day L., March 10 2014
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (DVD)
This film is epic . absolutely keeps you riveted to your seat. One of my all time favourites, a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, Feb. 6 2014
This is a great movie. I have it on vhs,dvd and now blu-ray. The cinematography is fantastic. It is a great action movie/romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally The Definitive Version of Last OF The Mohicans....Review Of Blu Ray editon, Feb. 4 2014
Thankfully Michael Mann has revisited his classic movie and reedited (restored) it to a version very close to the original theatrical release. The directors edit available on DVD in North America was altered too significantly and completely unnecessary. It was done at a time when director's cuts were considered good marketing. The only original theatrical version on DVD was the Region 2 disc available in the UK. There are only minor revisions on this Blu-ray from the original and can be considered a slight (and only slight) improvement. What they do not do is alter the vision or enjoyment of the original edit. The image quality is outstanding with vibrant colors and amazing detail (the soldiers uniforms really stand out in all their splendor). The night scenes do appear quite dark at times making the movie a better view in a dark room or at night. For the fans of this picture...after a 22 year wait.....you can finally enjoy this movie as it was originally conceived and in the best quality ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars mute, Dec 16 2013
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (DVD)
such emotion! wonderful acting. I bought it because of the scene where the girl quietly goes over the cliff without a word.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good, Dec 16 2013
you couldn't make this movie any better. this is another movie I have but into my collection. it's about the meaning of actual events, how it was portrayed and acting skills

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, Oct. 31 2013
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (DVD)
Gorgeously filmed, beautifully crafted acting. Very romantic.
The music is sublime.
A moving, disturbing historical record.
I would recommend it to everyone

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem with the French language, Oct. 4 2013
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (DVD)

So, this product is no to cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars histoire reussit, March 29 2013
quel plaisir de revoir toutes ses images de nature les costumes,et l'histoire au travers les personnages,le réaliste convaincant a revoir et revoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars The VHS edition is the best!, Feb. 16 2013
This review is from: Last of/Mohicans (VHS Tape)
My favorite movie of all time - I had my original VHS tape from 1993 and LITERALLY wore it out (the tape eventually got jammed and the ending of the movie was ruined). So, I bought the "Director's Expanded Edition" DVD and was appalled by what they did to this brilliant film in the DVD version. Can't even watch it it's so bad. Why they would add two or three minutes of extra crap, AND, worst of all, DELETE out some of the most intriguing, comical parts of the masterpiece movie is beyond me! THANK GOD I was able to find a new (well, slightly used) VHS copy of this movie, in it's original theatrical form! Thanks very much to the seller! Received the movie in 3 days through expedited mail - amazing! To echo some of the other reviews of this movie, it is brilliant - like I said, to this day, still my favorite movie. And, if Fox Home Video is out there listening by any chance, PLEASE release the original theatrical version of Last of the Mohicans on DVD!

ARRAY(0xbf2fcdec)