summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on June 6, 2014
This is one of my favourite movies but it is impossible to find one that the sound is good. You either have your ears blasted out, or you cannot hear what is being said. I have now tried five different copies and they are all the same. Thank goodness for closed captioning or subtitles.
on February 4, 2014
Thankfully Michael Mann has revisited his classic movie and reedited (restored) it to a version very close to the original theatrical release. The directors edit available on DVD in North America was altered too significantly and completely unnecessary. It was done at a time when director's cuts were considered good marketing. The only original theatrical version on DVD was the Region 2 disc available in the UK. There are only minor revisions on this Blu-ray from the original and can be considered a slight (and only slight) improvement. What they do not do is alter the vision or enjoyment of the original edit. The image quality is outstanding with vibrant colors and amazing detail (the soldiers uniforms really stand out in all their splendor). The night scenes do appear quite dark at times making the movie a better view in a dark room or at night. For the fans of this picture...after a 22 year wait.....you can finally enjoy this movie as it was originally conceived and in the best quality ever.
I agree. Daniel Day-Lewis is considered to be the best actor of our time. He was excellent in this movie that takes place during the French/English/native American war in the mid-1700's. Based on the book by James Fenimore Cooper, the story powerfully comes to life with battle scenes, brilliant portrayals of life on the American frontier and stunning scenery. In the midst of the fast-paced action and the terrific emotional impact of this movie, there is a passionate love story between Hawkeye (played by Day-Lewis), adopted son of the Mohicans and Cora, an aristocratic daughter (played by Madeleine Stowe) of a British Colonel.

This movie was released in 1992, before love was interpreted as "sex" in many movies that are produced today. Yet, the love between Hawkeye and Cora is considered by many to be the most passionate portrayed in any movie that's been made. I would agree with that, especially in one scene. No nudity. No sex. No offensive "language".

How accurate this story is to the time presented, I can't say. I haven't done any research on that subject. I'm content to enjoy this movie on its own merit. There is violence and parents would have to decide at what age their children would be able to see this movie without being adversely affected.
on June 20, 2004
This is a wonderful movie, and I can't say enough about it.
I first seen this movie when I was in high school. I remember my boyfriend forcing me to see this film. I complained during the whole ride to the theater. But, after the first ten minutes I was hooked like a fish.
The haunting, visual landscapes are breathtaking, Daniel Day-Lewis is wonderful, and the secondary characters are very good. Essentially, this is a story of change. The Last Mohican represents a changing of lives and cultures. Additionally, the story of the French-Indian war is moving.
I cannot list a full synopsis of the movie because there are so many different back stories and themes. There is love, intrigue, deciet, family values, war, and death...and all of it is rolled into one.
Everything about this movie is fantastic and very moving. You need to see it for yourself to see what I am talking about. Or, you can listen to the some of the reviewer's recommendations that say this movie is boring and long.
I won't kid you there is some slow points, but this isn't an all out action flick.
Ultimately, this movie is for people who love real, moving movies.
on May 9, 2011
Just a heads up to anyone buying this blu ray that you may encounter problems.

I've tried it with both a Sony BDP-S570 and BDP-S770 and could not get the disc to work with either player.

Despite having tried around 20 times, the disc usually would show either nothing on screen, or only the first screen (white text on black background). Once I got a screen with white text on red background explaining my player was not updated, but both players have the latest firmware.

Every time the counter display on the player simply shows hyphens (-- -- -- --) and the disc/player freezes.

Haven't been able to find any other reports of issues with this disc or those Sony players, but until I'm able to get another copy to work, just be aware in case you also encounter this problem.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 4, 2006
It is 1557 a confusing time with the French verses the English and the various Indian tribes taking sides. There are innocent settlers just looking to be free caught up in the conflict.

A small contingent of British are escorting two daughters Cora Munro (Madeleine Stowe) and Alice (Jodhi May) of a British colonel to a near by fort. They are betrayed and three trappers come to the rescue thus setting the story of the "last of the Mohicans" begins.

I do not want to go into details as it will undermine the surprises. Let's just say you will not be disappointed.

This story is based on the 1936 screen play and embellished to a full movie. The scenery is breath taking. One item you can spot right off is that the people in buck skins blend into the back ground; however the British, French and colonel's daughters conspicuously stand out.

Many of the scenes are also surrealistic and have an ethereal feel. This combined with such songs as "I will find you" in the back ground lure you into a timeless feeing. Even at the end of the story you are waiting for more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with most films today there are many versions. And different media. Be sure to find the one that suits you best. If you can not find a domestic version do not settle for less; you may want to invest in a region free player or convert the media using software readily found on the internet.
on February 1, 2004
After reading many of the horrified reviews of the "director's cut" DVD version, one would expect a major chop job akin to what happened to Peckinpah's films in the 1970s, a major mutilation of a masterpiece.
Calm down. It's nothing of the kind. Having been a fan of this film since its original release, and having watched the VHS version a couple of times a year since it came out, I had a hard time catching all the changes on the DVD, because most of them are so minor. Some are just a few seconds long. Some are improvements (the extended fort battle, the end of the surrender negotiations, the elimination of some trite and anachronistic wisecracks), others don't matter or are unfortunate (Chingachgook's speech at the end, the elimination of the Clannad song). Overall, especially if you are not intimately familiar with it, you are watching the same movie as on VHS.
My only complaint is technical: The color and brightness are not especially well balanced; some shade or night scenes require adjusting your TV temporarily. And the absence of special features is disappointing.
on February 16, 2013
My favorite movie of all time - I had my original VHS tape from 1993 and LITERALLY wore it out (the tape eventually got jammed and the ending of the movie was ruined). So, I bought the "Director's Expanded Edition" DVD and was appalled by what they did to this brilliant film in the DVD version. Can't even watch it it's so bad. Why they would add two or three minutes of extra crap, AND, worst of all, DELETE out some of the most intriguing, comical parts of the masterpiece movie is beyond me! THANK GOD I was able to find a new (well, slightly used) VHS copy of this movie, in it's original theatrical form! Thanks very much to the seller! Received the movie in 3 days through expedited mail - amazing! To echo some of the other reviews of this movie, it is brilliant - like I said, to this day, still my favorite movie. And, if Fox Home Video is out there listening by any chance, PLEASE release the original theatrical version of Last of the Mohicans on DVD!
on January 10, 2015
Blu-Ray (mine anyway) is NOT as bad as the DVD!

OK, the scenes are a bit darker and lower lustre (one of the few movies where I felt compelled to both boost my TV's brightness settings and up the colour intensity, both adjustments were well within my (Samsung LED) TV's adjustment capabilities, the net result was only a somewhat lower quality picture, a minor quibble -- the sound's fantastic!), BUT the missing dialogue bit(s) much bemoaned here [at the least the "in your case, I'd make an exception"] in the Blu-Ray edition I purchased last week was/were RESTORED.

The UPC code was (on the original artwork) 0 24543 65788 0 80, but a replacement UPC code (of 0 24543 97859 0 50) was stuck over that one (obtained at Walmart $7.96, and also had a white cardboard sleeve over the shrinkwrapped disc container]. Perhaps there are different Blu-Ray editions out there, in any event I'm so far very pleased with this version. Of course, it would be terrific if Blu-Ray viewers were simply given the conventional choice (of theatrical vs Director's Cut), but for me this suffices (and, I note the Amazon.ca price is now under $5).

I've the VHS and DVD versions to compare with this one, and am only partway into the Blu-Ray edition just now.
This was an OK movie, a bit slow at times, but great action and fantastic scenery shots! The audio wasn't as good as it could be, I missed some of the dialog because it was so quiet.

This movie follows the book of the same title, but of course is historically very inaccurate! For example, after the loss of fort Henry, the Indians actually massacred all of the British, unlike this movie where lots got away. Other details are a bit off, like the battles at night... people didn't wage war at night in 1750! Or the guy shooting a running deer with a musket... just not done! But hey it's Hollywood what can you do!?

If you aren't a history student and just want some action, this movie will be OK.